MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Default Baked Ice

I've been thinking all week about Gore's Christmas gift idea. I kept tumbling it around in my mind, knowing there must be way to create this clever ice sphere with just as much appeal but at much less cost. I was certain the best ice must come from fire and I know a little about fire.

At the same time I was trying to come up with a Baked idea for Half Baked Little Smokey Throwdown. I'm sure I was channeling Gore or more likely drunk but all of a sudden it hit me and off to the workshop I went.

Now I know it doesn't look like much.

But really what we are after here are results. I loaded up the Ice Baker and set my egg at the mythical 225. And 16 hours later

I could not believe my eyes but 16 hours . Who is going to wait 16 hours for a ball, I mean sphere of ice. So I changed things up a bit and went the hot and fast route.

I cranked the egg up to 700 and closed the lid. 12 minutes later I had this.

But wait the baker had completely disintegrated. Oh well it was still pretty cool.

But now I couldn't just drink. Well I could but that wouldn't be a very good example for the young one so I thought, What goes good with Bourbon? Well what doesn't go good with Bourbon really but what really would go good with Bourbon? I've seen people make pecan pies with Bourbon so it stood to reason that having a glass alongside my pie would also be good.

After a bit of hunting I found the following.

The egg was still hot from making ice so but it was getting late so I turned on the lights and hoped for the best.

I think it turned out pretty darn good and indeed Bourbon does go well with Pecan Pie.

Now I'm off to the workshop to make another Ice Baker. Maybe I'll make two this time. Thanks Gore for the great idea. I'd be happy to make you one for half the price of that other spere making thing.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

LMAO, that's farking GREAT!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
colonel00

Congrats, you created Krypton

Er, maybe that is Hoth
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
tish

Baked ice... what a concept! Great job, Ric! And loving the pecan pie, too.
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I know right, Who knew?
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyote View Post
The egg was still hot from making ice
that's certainly one of the stranger things I've heard on this board so far
fantomlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

I'll bet he can go outside any time of the year and pick ice balls off the trees. He lives almost at the north pole.

I'd hit that pie
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
captndan

As for the bourbon water yes ketchup no.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Nice work. I thought Bourbon went with anything/everything?
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Awesome!

Old 11-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Fishhook
Full Fledged Farker

Whats the best wood to use for smoking Ice? I'm thinking something light like..alder, or cherry. I think there might be a risk of overpowering the ice with hickory or oak. Did it give the bourbon that "smoky flavor"? What was the IT when you pulled it? Did you probe for done or just wing it?...new processes require so many questions..

Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

The thing about these sorts of gifts is that you use them once or twice and they end up just taking up cupboard space after that. Making them disposable is absolutely brilliant! We're going to make a fortune.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phabulous!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Farkin excellent!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Congrats, you created Krypton

Er, maybe that is Hoth
I was thinking the same thing. I didn't set out to go planet making. I just wanted some ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomlord View Post
that's certainly one of the stranger things I've heard on this board so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
Whats the best wood to use for smoking Ice? I'm thinking something light like..alder, or cherry. I think there might be a risk of overpowering the ice with hickory or oak. Did it give the bourbon that "smoky flavor"? What was the IT when you pulled it? Did you probe for done or just wing it?...new processes require so many questions..
I didn't use any smoking wood just lump. I had similar concerns and just wanted to work the bugs out. I suppose it gave the bourbon a little bit of that Royal Oak Lump flavor.

I really wanted to take the IT but was afraid I'd fark up the sphere. I'm guessing it was lower than 32 but that's just an educated guess.

I was certainly winging it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
The thing about these sorts of gifts is that you use them once or twice and they end up just taking up cupboard space after that. Making them disposable is absolutely brilliant! We're going to make a fortune.
I never thought of that. But you might be on to something. I was considering making something with multiple containment areas (almost like a tray).

Thanks from: --->