• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wagyu Brisket

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My wife gave me a gift card to SNR a while back, and I finally got around to ordering some briskets this week. They get here today, and I'm cooking one tomorrow. I've read that they cook a little differently than most briskets. Any advice or anthing to look out for? I'm planning to cook this one as I always do, but I'm not going to inject. Thanks in advance for any help.

I've cooked a few, and the only thing to give you a heads up about really is the lack of a stall. So they cook pretty damn fast. The taste is different, more "steaky" than "briskety" is the best way to describe it. Hope you like it! Some like the difference, some prefer regular brisket. My wife and I love them as a special treat now and then.

Thanks Chris. How long are we talking about? I got a 14-17 lber, and I usually cook them around 275. I usually wrap, and they take around 10 hours. Should I plan on considerably less?

I have cooked a bunch of Waygu and even more CAB packers.
I find that the differences are small, with maybe one exception.
The Waygu seems to have a short window for "doneness" compared to domestic brisket. I try to stay of top of it at the end, just as I do with domestic--just a bit closer.

BTW, my first ever Waygu cook was at a comp with a CAB for backup.
First place brisket in a field of great brisket cooks.
I just did it as I always cook brisket and kept a close eye on it at the end.

Otherwize, I think if you start anticpating big changes and make big changes in your cook schedule, you will just wind up scewing it up or being dissapointed.
I would prep and cook it just like always and then "fine tune" later if need be.

Just my thoughts.

TIM

^^^Really??? That much of a difference?^^^
Every single one of them I have cooked, yes. I cook at 275 as well. Granted, all of mine came from a place down here called "Bichelmeyer's" who sells Wagyu. I don't see any reason for other places to sell Wagyu any different, but figured I'll toss that out there in case some folks disagree with me. I've cooked probably 3 or 4 dozen of these over the last 6 years or so. The last one was last summer though, but I don't think that amount of time has caused me to just "make up" such times.

I love Bichelmeyers... Didn't know they carried Waygu.. I'll have to ask for it next time. Cook time info very much appreciated... Paradise Meats in Trimble cautioned me about over cooking Wagyu didn't have specific time info, though. Thanks

I bought one from SNR last year for Christmas Pot luck at work and I do have to say it was by far the best brisket I have had. They are pretty pricy but well worth it

I love Bichelmeyers... Didn't know they carried Waygu.. I'll have to ask for it next time. Cook time info very much appreciated... Paradise Meats in Trimble cautioned me about over cooking Wagyu didn't have specific time info, though. Thanks
They don't put them in the display case, they keep them in back. Just ask for them and they will pull them out for you. I've never had to order them in advance, they have always had them in stock whenever I have asked.

I forgot to compare the weight and price that they scribbled on the package last time before I cooked it, so I can't recall the price per pound, but it was probably in the $5 to $6 range (just a guess though).

One tip, ask them to bring a few out to compare. They tend to have thin flats, and that thickness is what I usually use to make my purchasing decision on. They are all ridiculously flexible and well marbled.

Wow...I had no idea that they cooked that much faster. I've only cooked one in my life and didn't like the result enough to justify doing it again. Maybe I should have done things differently? It was my first ever comp and I didn't supply it. There could have been many factors other than the meat that was the problem?

SRF is a quality meat company! I had a block cut Waygu "Eye of Ribeye" on my menu for quite a while. Best Pittsburg steak I have ever had! Their grading process is crazy too! Their gold line is the most marbled and tender I have ever seen! Hoping to do a brisket from them soon! I will take all this advice into account:)

SRF is a quality meat company! I had a block cut Waygu "Eye of Ribeye" on my menu for quite a while. Best Pittsburg steak I have ever had! Their grading process is crazy too! Their gold line is the most marbled and tender I have ever seen! Hoping to do a brisket from them soon! I will take all this advice into account:)

How do you obtain their gold line? I emailed them a while back and this was their response

Our gold label is equivalent to a BMS 9-12 on the beef marbling scale. At this time we do not sort our gold briskets out from the rest of our briskets. We guarantee all briskets shipped are silver, black or gold label however at this time we sort by weight range not by grade.

So is it just a crap shoot like she said?

Back