Devices at Comps

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Are devices such as gurus and others that help you maintain temperature allowed at comps? If so, do you believe they should be allowed? Was there ever a time when such devices were banned from competition?

They are allowed at KCBS comps, and I do believe they should be allowed. Remember that food has to be turned in on a very tight timetable. Keeping the fire at a consistent temperature is essential for timing the cook. A pellet cooker has an auger feed, should they be banned too?

Are devices such as gurus and others that help you maintain temperature allowed at comps? If so, do you believe they should be allowed? Was there ever a time when such devices were banned from competition?

Absolutely they are allowed. While I used to be of the mindset that they took the skill out of BBQing I now think they are a great invention. While I still cook without them and turn out great Que, they make it so much easier and give me a better product.

They are allowed at KCBS comps, and I do believe they should be allowed. Remember that food has to be turned in on a very tight timetable. Keeping the fire at a consistent temperature is essential for timing the cook. A pellet cooker has an auger feed, should they be banned too?
right on the money MR. BOB

I concur with all above! Yes, forced-draft systems are allowed in KCBS competitions -- each of our 19 GCs have been won using a Stoker.

However, forced-draft systems are not a be-all end-all. They are a great tool, but they do not replace fire skills or the knowledge and experience gained by tending meat under varying conditions.

I love my guru but think it would awesome to have a no electronics comp!!!

I'm a die-hard pellet head. However, I'd LOVE to cook a no electronics competition to bring it back to old school. Wouldn't really change my sleep patterns anyway ;)

Count me in big time for an old school contest format.
Wood and/ or hardwood charcoal only.
no pellets. No stokers, no gurus, heck I would be ok with no gas assist (lighting)

Personally I think the devices and such have been good for the BBQ competition community as a whole, because it has opened up BBQ to a whole group of people that otherwise wouldn't do it. (too much work, lack of sleep, etc)

However (and I have said this in here before) you get down to the basics of BBQ and take away all the gadgets, then you are really looking at the pitmasters ability more so than how fancy their cooker is

lol we have a very ugly drums with a stoker and pellet grills and gadgets are nice to have to be able to sleep 6 hrs or more during the comps ... is priceless

Personally, I think they should be banned. At the point where one simply turns a dial to set the temp, it's an oven.:tape:

The only devices I use are my own...:twisted: But as to your question...I do not use them...but have no problems with other folks doing so...:becky:

There was a time many years ago when dinosaures roamed the plains and pulled big blasck trailer offsets to contests with words like OK Joes or Klose on them. Then the messiah (an old tired fireman :twisted:) invented something called a Fest Eddy and the BBQ world was changed forever. With the advent of modern technology in the Fast Eddy it was only a matter of time until somebody invented a forced air device for other pits so could again compete with the modern Fast Eddy.

But seriously to answer your question, the devices are legal and there was a time when we didn't have them. There was no rule saying they were legal but then again there was no device.

Yea, what Bob said---:thumb:

As a died in the wool stickburner I chose to go with thetraditional method. I do not however think that these devices should be banned. It just makes it a little sweeter when my 600 dollar cooker and I get to walk in a comp against the guys with the high dollar units and control systems. Its just a matter of personal choice.

I use a CyberQ II on my WSM's. Its not because I cannot manage my fires but mainly because i cook solo most of the time and it sure does let me rest easier. These devices are criticized by many as making it oven-like. However, IMHO, having a double walled specially insulated cooker it really oven-like as well.

Back