MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Corey
Default surface fungus on my wood!

Last weekend, I spent a large part of my day chopping firewood for the winter, silver maple. I saved random chunks that were fungus free. I then put these pieces in a bucket I had laying around. I washed it out before I put the wood in because it previously held dog food. I didn't dry it all the way out, but did shake it out. I then filled it and put a lid on it, left it in the garage.

this weekend I'm doing a beef roast and went to use some of my new woood. I found a soft white fungus covering/on about 2/3 of the wood in there. SHINOLA!

Attached is a photo of one piece that had this fungus on it. to save much of my wood...could I take a wire wheel on a grinder and take that fungus off safely?

...learned a good lesson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20131013_002.jpg (42.8 KB, 322 views)

Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd burn it off.......in a fire ........before any meat went on......

Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Burn as is.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

CErnst I think you have a yeast infection on your wood!
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Fwismoker

When wood reaches the temp to smolder burn and smoke then it's hot enough to kill any nasties....no worries.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

If u are worried about it get charcoal going and burn the Yeasty off with handheld propane or butane torch all the while preheating your splits......

Old 10-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

okay, so as long as the growth is a fuzzy white, I'm hearing that is okay...and burning it off would be acceptable way to get rid of it. the bin did have a sweet kinda smell, perhaps yeast is it.

I remember reading that if there were mold, then it shouldn't be used to smoke with. A few pieces did have dark mold...those will go to the fireplace pile.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

FYI...yeast=fungus

Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
I'd burn it off.......in a fire ........before any meat went on......
Yep, not to worry. It's a shame with that pretty wood but not a problem. I preheat my splits on the firebox so that would take care of it if you have a way to preheat.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

I'll go to ace hardware after work and pickup a small bottle of propane for my solder torch...then spend a half hour or so scorching the wood to take care of the growth.

thanks guys!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Just cook with it like you normally would.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Living up here in the rainy pacific northwest it is rare that wood does not have some type of mold on it, just burn it like normal.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

So you have a plan on how to fix it but I am curious as to why you sealed it off in a bucket. I always thought you want to keep wood out where air can get to it, am I wrong on this?

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstrider View Post
So you have a plan on how to fix it but I am curious as to why you sealed it off in a bucket. I always thought you want to keep wood out where air can get to it, am I wrong on this?
This was my initial thought also. You need to keep air circulating or those nasties will grow. You can use it that way. The mold will just burn off.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
CErnst
Knows what a fatty is.

The whole effort was to primarily keep bugs away from the wood that like to eat it...then it made a convenient way to organize wood types. One of the first woods I got years ago was a large bag of mesquite that I put next to firewood I keep in the garage (to keep dry and burn better when needed). the mesquite then contracted some grub/bugs. I chopped up the mesquite and put it in a cleaned out cat litter bucket. that worked out, so I put my store bought wood chips in litter buckets. I then did the same for my cherry and mulberry. then I got the maple...didn't work out so well.