Costco CAB Prime brisket--SoCal brethren step in..

Started mine last night on the BGE shortly before 9 PM with the intent of Brisket for the football games. Checked this morning and had an internal of 163 and a dome temperature of about 280 (time to replace the gasket again - too much air leaking in). Foiled it and added a bit of pan drippings. Opened up the vents a bit. Will check in an hour or so for doneness (fork test and temp). When it's done, I'll wrap it tight and throw it into my thermal bag for 2-4 hours.

Need to come up with a good sauce. Any suggestions? Something with a little kick, but not too much.

Seems all who have found these briskets are Los Angeles/ Orange County areas correct.

Has anyone seen them around Temecula/San Marcos/San Diego?

Started mine last night on the BGE shortly before 9 PM with the intent of Brisket for the football games. Checked this morning and had an internal of 163 and a dome temperature of about 280 (time to replace the gasket again - too much air leaking in). Foiled it and added a bit of pan drippings. Opened up the vents a bit. Will check in an hour or so for doneness (fork test and temp). When it's done, I'll wrap it tight and throw it into my thermal bag for 2-4 hours.

Need to come up with a good sauce. Any suggestions? Something with a little kick, but not too much.

Here are a couple recipes from Bluedawg. I have not tried them myself but I'm guessing they're good. I'm planning on trying 'em for my next beef cook.

Here are a couple recipes from Bluedawg. I have not tried them myself but I'm guessing they're good. I'm planning on trying 'em for my next beef cook.

Thanks gtr

First one looks interesting, but alas, I am missing ingredients, and not hitting the Grocery store today (about an hour round trip for us).

Maybe it's time to try the Blues Hog Original/Tennessee Red mix....?????

Thanks gtr

First one looks interesting, but alas, I am missing ingredients, and not hitting the Grocery store today (about an hour round trip for us).

Maybe it's time to try the Blues Hog Original/Tennessee Red mix....?????

I don't know if I'd be doing that for beef, but that's just my personal taste - I lean more savory for beef, and I don't use a lot of sauce anyway. I would probably make something from the drippings - like defat and add a little beef broth/stock/whatever if necessary. You might like the BH/TN Red on brisket (and in fact I might!) - I just never tried it.

La Habra had a new batch of briskets out today. Still $2.60 The two I looked at were very and the thinnest flat I've ever seen.. I passed on them since I still have one in the freezer. But the good news is they still have them.

Jerry

Just pulled off a 12 pounder off the smoker!
Cooked for 10 hrs. Real juicy, like butter.
Letting it rest in the cooler!
Pron to follow!

On my way to check out the local Costco. I got room in the freezer for one, and can let a second stay in the frig until Friday night.....

Resurrected!! Horrible news from La Habra Costco. My wife was in twice this week, with no luck. Tuesday the meat guy said they didn't have any in the back, but they get the Prime meat deliveries "midweek". She went again Thursday and found none. The meat guy said they get whatever comes in, in Prime grade, they don't order it. They did have Prime Chuck Roast @ $3.49 lb.

If any one is still finding them at their local Costco, please report where you find them. I was lucky enough to score 5 so far, 2 still in the freezer. Dang, they take up a lot of freezer space!

Only one of the three I have cooked was really great. I need to do better.

Good luck Prime Hunters! We will continue to look at the 3 or 4 different Costco stores that we frequent, and will put it here if we find any.

According to one of the meat dept guys at the Canoga Park Costco, when I asked him whether they would be stocking them regularly from now on, the reply was no, but he did say they should have more around the holidays. This apparently is a regional test they're doing, and if the numbers add up after the holidays, they may stock them regularly in Costco's that are located near more upscale neighborhoods.

Fingers crossed!

Burbank seems to have it in stock all the time since they started stocking them. I havent checked lately since I still have two primes left plus I just scored two Wagyu briskets from my local neighborhood butcher. I need a bigger freezer.:mrgreen:

Burbank seems to have it in stock all the time since they started stocking them. I havent checked lately since I still have two primes left plus I just scored two Wagyu briskets from my local neighborhood butcher. I need a bigger freezer.:mrgreen:
ssv3, if you don't mind me asking, who is your butcher? I'm looking for a decent one. Thanks!

Sounds like you been to Harmony Farms?

ssv3, if you don't mind me asking, who is your butcher? I'm looking for a decent one. Thanks!

Not at all. It's called Harmony Farms in La Crescenta/Glendale Foothills. Sometimes I walk in and sometimes I special order or simply order specific cuts. I had the Wagyu briskets special ordered and it took him a bit but he got 3 in. I took two.

Sounds like you been to Harmony Farms?

You're a mind reader.:biggrin1: Yep! That's where I get my meat from exclusively bro. Can't go to the grocery stores anymore. The difference is night and day. Slightly pricey but well worth it IMO. Costco Prime briskets are great though.

Back