MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #61
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Just got back from my usual Sunday run to Costco in La Habra. Went straight to the meat counter and found 1 prime brisket for $269.

Jerry
Wow...that was one expensive brisket!
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #62
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Was at the Temecula costco on Friday night. Nada. Asked the meat guy, never seen them before....
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #63
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaudds View Post
Wow...that was one expensive brisket!

I guess I should proof read my posts before submitting them . $2.69 a pound

Jerry

Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #64
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

My wife just stopped by La Habra Costco and picked up a prime packer brisket @ $2.69/lb , they had 3 in the case. Whoopee.. it'll be our first! Thanks for the intell, Halfprice and everyone else.
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #65
Smoked Nachos?
Knows what a fatty is.

That's a killer buy. After seeing this post, I stopped in at our CostCo to take a peek before buying a membership. They only had 3, smallish briskets that did not look very good and they were 4.79 / lb. Called the butcher's shop and they wanted 4.99 / lb. and probably (I have not seen them) have much better quality.

Tell whoever is stocking those shelves to transfer to Greenville!
Smoked Nachos? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 10:11 PM   #66
Humble Soul
Full Fledged Farker

Hmm. Gonna hit up Costco here in Honolulu and see what the prices are. I don't think any things ever really "on sale" here though :/
Humble Soul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #67
2000milesofsmoke

Just left Costco in Escondido, they didn't have a clue about this. And their flats where $4.79/lb for choice.
2000milesofsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #68
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeat View Post
My wife just stopped by La Habra Costco and picked up a prime packer brisket @ $2.69/lb , they had 3 in the case. Whoopee.. it'll be our first! Thanks for the intell, Halfprice and everyone else.
Its funny that they always seem to stock 3 at a time. Both times I bought them they had 3 in the case. I'm noticing most people that find the primes find 3.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #69
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Ohhhh weed, out of town but will check next week

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #70
ColdFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Asked the butcher if they had any more. I wanted to look at a few of them to pick the best one. He back out with three more. Picked the best one, 12 1/2 lber and off I went.
///shakes fist///
Stay away from my store!! :P
Hope they have some good ones for that price left on Friday. Can't get one till after payday!
ColdFyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #71
glaudds
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Its funny that they always seem to stock 3 at a time. Both times I bought them they had 3 in the case. I'm noticing most people that find the primes find 3.
Well...3 is a prime number after all

Has anyone cooked any of these prime packers from Costco yet? How does the end product compare to other grades of brisket?
glaudds is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #72
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Costco Business Ctr. in San Diego does not have them either. Just regular Choice packers for $2.29/lb. My friend is a meat cutter there (which is odd because they don't sell "cut" meat there...only cryovac'd large cuts & cases) and he said that he's going to look into ordering some. We'll see...

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

[B]Competition arsenal:[/B]
(1) [I][B]22.5 WSM[/B][/I], (2) [I][B]18.5 WSMs[/B], So fast it predicts the future [COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [B]Thermapen[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/vicioussmoke"][B]Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.twitter.com/vicioussmokebbq"][B]Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter[/B][/URL]
ViciousGame is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #73
SY82
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaudds View Post
Well...3 is a prime number after all

Has anyone cooked any of these prime packers from Costco yet? How does the end product compare to other grades of brisket?
I did one the other day. I do believe the quality is better than what I have been using (especially considering the price for the prime grade is the same as I was paying for choice and select). I'm definitely happy with it. Hope Costco continues to have these around.
SY82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #74
halfprice

I also asked one of the butchers about the points. La Habra usually has flats in the case. I explained what the point/flat was and he said he thinks they receive the flats as is.

When explaining this to him he didn't really seem to understand so I'll have to talk to other butcher next week.

I wouldn't mind throwing on an extra point for burnt ends when doing the packer I just got.

Jerry

Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #75
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Went back to Burbank to grab another a couple days ago and they had three in the case as well, all about 11-12 pounds. Asked the butcher about Prime top block and whether or not he had any bigger Packers in the back. He came back with a couple more briskies. One 14 and one 15 pounds. Definitely worth asking for what your looking for.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->