MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #16
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

I know this is not an answer to your question, but it might help you a bit. IMO, PC has become 2 things.

1) A popularity Contest
2) An "outlast the other teams" contest.

Are you getting a financial return for each rib you sell, or is there prize money awarded according to place finish? Both of those should have some bearing on a team's desire to compete. Ribs are the most expensive meat for us to PC and for that reason alone we decline the opportunity to PC them. As a matter a fact, even if it's a buck-a-bone return we'd basically be working for free.

Best of luck in your event and to keep it on topic.....over cook them.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
I know this is not an answer to your question, but it might help you a bit. IMO, PC has become 2 things.

1) A popularity Contest
2) An "outlast the other teams" contest.

Are you getting a financial return for each rib you sell, or is there prize money awarded according to place finish? Both of those should have some bearing on a team's desire to compete. Ribs are the most expensive meat for us to PC and for that reason alone we decline the opportunity to PC them. As a matter a fact, even if it's a buck-a-bone return we'd basically be working for free.

Best of luck in your event and to keep it on topic.....over cook them.
I agree it is a popularity contest unless it is a blind peoples choice contest. Everytime we do comps with peoples choice . The only ones that win are the guys working the crowd .

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttburnersbbq View Post
I agree it is a popularity contest unless it is a blind peoples choice contest. Everytime we do comps with peoples choice . The only ones that win are the guys working the crowd .
And you are not working the crowd why?

We do well blind and when we serve. We prefer blind because it really is a lot less effort to do.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
And you are not working the crowd why?

We do well blind and when we serve. We prefer blind because it really is a lot less effort to do.
Most comps we do with peoples choice where we have to serve . It is always the same time as turn in's . So we concentrate on the turn in boxes since we are there to win and collect the prize money .

Old 06-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Most comps we do with peoples choice where we have to serve . It is always the same time as turn in's . So we concentrate on the turn in boxes since we are there to win and collect the prize money .
That is CRAZY!! I get the hate now. It is typically either Friday night or blind in these parts.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
We opted out of the last PC because of this as well. Did it last year and felt our scores suffered because of it. I wish comps wouldn't do this.
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Lowki
Full Fledged Farker

Would you mind elaborating a bit on the "volume game"? This is news for me, we have done a cpl PC's and for whatever reason, this never occurred to me. Should we be cooking amounts above and beyond the turn in criteria of half pans, filled to the rim?

Last edited by Lowki; 06-06-2013 at 12:31 PM..
Lowki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #23
Harmony BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

If you want to win you should cook at least 25% more product than what is required. The last people's choice I cooked had 50 judges that bought tickets (@$35 each) to try the ribs. We went through 9 racks of spares and I could have given out more. Of course not all went to the judges but it was a bit of a luxury to have extra. It takes at least 2 people to handle this type of crowd, one working the crowd and another cutting the ribs. Keep a bottle of your sauce handy for people to taste without a rib or put extra on the rib, samples of the rub you use (we put them in plastic shot glasses), a pile of napkins to give out and if you really want to impress them, offer some bottled water to the judges (especially if it is a hot day). Wet naps are also very popular. Tell people how you cook your ribs, how long they are on the smoker, what kind of wood you use, etc. They really like that. Make sure you have rubber gloves on and a clean shirt! Little things can swing votes your way.
Harmony BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #24
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
Would you mind elaborating a bit on the "volume game"? This is news for me, we have done a cpl PC's and for whatever reason, this never occurred to me. Should we be cooking amounts above and beyond the turn in criteria of half pans, filled to the rim?
I think what is meant is that many times a PC contest is judged based solely on how many tickets you get or how many ribs you sell to the public. The public will get so many tickets for so much $ and then they "buy" product with those tickets, so the team that has the most tickets (read: sells the most product) at the end of the day wins.

We don't usually do PC because it's a big hassle and there's just too many people hanging around (especially if it's any time near turn ins). We're only a 2 person team and so we don't have any extra hands to handle the PC. Next weekend, we're doing one that is a blind PC, meaning we cook ahead of time and turn in all the ribs and they just get judged blind by the public from one location. This one's for a good cause so we don't mind helping and don't care if we win or not.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #25
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony BBQ View Post
If you want to win you should cook at least 25% more product than what is required. The last people's choice I cooked had 50 judges that bought tickets (@$35 each) to try the ribs. We went through 9 racks of spares and I could have given out more. Of course not all went to the judges but it was a bit of a luxury to have extra. It takes at least 2 people to handle this type of crowd, one working the crowd and another cutting the ribs. Keep a bottle of your sauce handy for people to taste without a rib or put extra on the rib, samples of the rub you use (we put them in plastic shot glasses), a pile of napkins to give out and if you really want to impress them, offer some bottled water to the judges (especially if it is a hot day). Wet naps are also very popular. Tell people how you cook your ribs, how long they are on the smoker, what kind of wood you use, etc. They really like that. Make sure you have rubber gloves on and a clean shirt! Little things can swing votes your way.
OR....what he said.....

Old 06-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #26
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowki View Post
That is a huge question that only each individual team can decide upon. When all of the other teams are out of PC meat and you still have hundreds of samples, it can be financially rewarding. If it rains and the estimated crowd is 30% of what was expected, well therein lies the problem.

Cooking a lot of PC has helped us and hurt us on just about a 50/50 margin.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #27
Chipper
is one Smokin' Farker

Another thought that worked for us the one time we did well with PC ribs. We made them very spicy. I layered cayenne on the rub then finished with a chipotle/habanero BBQ sauce. There seems to always be a bunch of "chile heads" in a large crowd and once word spreads, they find you and will give you the votes.
Weber Smokey Mountain
Kamado #7
[URL="http://www.redlionspicyfoods.com"]www.bigchippersbbq.com[/URL]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/CHARLE%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #28
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
No.
You can also buy tickets and vote for yourself, or pool the ribs from 5-6 teams together to get the volume up. All of these tricks are why we don't do people's choice much anymore.)
This is why I won't do People's Choice anymore either. Sometimes the results are bought. In a contest I did last year I looked at the buckets where "The People" turned in tickets and found my bucket had far more tickets than any other. But, that didn't stop a couple teams from stuffing their bucket right at the end to take home the awards.

Good luck with your contest, I hope you don't run into these scenarios.

Tags
People's Choice, ribs