MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
BluegrassSmoke
On the road to being a farker

Question 30 Gal UDS ?

Build my first UDS, 55 Gal, works great. My son saw this and now wants one...figures right?
Anyway, it's just me and the wife at home and we love smoking but don't smoke at lot at one time...one port butt or two racks is plenty for us..

So my question is has anyone build a UDS using a 30 gal drum? If so, how does it work out, as good as a 55 gal? Same method ?
What components would I use? The Weber 22 1/2 " grill fits the 55 gal, but I'm sure this would be to large for a 30 gal...what grill size would I use for the 30 gal? Brand?

Thanks all
BluegrassSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Many Brethren have built one. They are called a Mini UDS and use 18.5" Weber kettle components.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm actually picking up a 16 gallon drum this afternoon for a mini-UDS build, essentially for the same reason you described. I already have an old Smokey Joe laying around so I can use the lid and grate from that.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I'm actually picking up a 16 gallon drum this afternoon for a mini-UDS build, essentially for the same reason you described. I already have an old Smokey Joe laying around so I can use the lid and grate from that.
I think the Smokey Joe's are smaller and are converted to mini WSM's with a tamale pot mid section.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Bludawg

I believe it called by PBC

Old 02-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
I think the Smokey Joe's are smaller and are converted to mini WSM's with a tamale pot mid section.
I'm taking my lid with me for fit. They have new, unlined open and closed top drums in 15/16 gallon. If it doesn't fit I won't use the Smokey Joe lid and use the drum lid instead. I did not want to go the mini-WSM route with the tamale pot.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I believe it called by PBC
Isn't the PBC built from a 30 gal drum but is a different beast than the mini UDS which predates it by years and also uses a 30 gallon drum?

Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I built one, and love it. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=133467

It was hard to find a drum of the right size in my area, so if you have the drum already you're ahead of the curve. You need the grates and lid from an 18.5" Weber kettle. Don't put all the intakes on risers like I did - it restricts the airflow. Just put one on a riser if you want but leave all the others close to the bottom. I would use 3/4" - 1" intakes like folks do for the 55gal UDS..

If you don't want to build it yourself or can't find a drum readily, PBC seems to be the same concept already built and on the market.

You can cook a lot of food on a midi UDS. I have 2 cooking levels and one grate for a diffuser in mine. Can easily do 20 lbs (2x 10lbs each)of pork butt, 12-14 lbs turkey, and 2 untrimmed racks of spares (not all at the same time of course) which is plenty for the 2 of us.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
I'm taking my lid with me for fit. They have new, unlined open and closed top drums in 15/16 gallon. If it doesn't fit I won't use the Smokey Joe lid and use the drum lid instead. I did not want to go the mini-WSM route with the tamale pot.
A 30 gal drum is about 18.5" in diameter. Your Smokey Joe lid is quite a bit smaller.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
A 30 gal drum is about 18.5" in diameter. Your Smokey Joe lid is quite a bit smaller.
I'm building a 15 gal UDS which should be about 14" across.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
I'm building a 15 gal UDS which should be about 14" across.
A micro UDS! Can't wait to see it.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I believe the accepted terms for UDS sizes are

55 gallon drum "UDS" uses parts from 22.5" kettle
30 gallon drum "midi UDS" uses parts from a 18.5" kettle
15/16 gallon drum "mini UDS" uses parts from a smokey joe sized kettle.

And a PBC is a 30 gallon drum with fancy rods and hooks. <<this one requires the use of lighter fluid per instructions.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
chico4missions
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

El Ropo nailed it...

I've got a 55 gal UDS and 30gal & 16gal in the works! I've also hears about the large 26" Webers working with 85 gal drum!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Default 30 Gal UDS ?

El Ropo could very well be right. I need to look into that. This is what is great about this place. Always learning something.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #15
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

A friend of mine is building a 30 gal UDS for a guy he knows. Gonna build it like a traditional UDS but have the option to run a smoke generator into the side of it to cold smoke cheese and sausage. The plans look good and seem no different than a regular size UDS, just on a slightly smaller scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
And a PBC is a 30 gallon drum with fancy rods and hooks. <<this one requires the use of lighter fluid per instructions.
^^^LOL!! Opps, I threw out the instructions to my PBC with the box. Is that bad?