MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?
Horizontal 7 6.67%
Vertical ("Beercan"-Style) 17 16.19%
Rotisserie 21 20.00%
Spatchcocked 56 53.33%
Cut in Halves 4 3.81%
Cut in Pieces 0 0%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Question What is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?

Reading up on poultry led to the following article: Debunking Beer Can Chicken: A Waste Of Good Beer (And It Is Dangerous)

I was just trying to decide between the following two accessories:

But now I am not so sure any more, and may prefer spatchcocking. On the other hand isn't Thanksgiving about a whole turkey? Or can you rearrange a spatchcocked bird to represent a whole bird?

So what is your preferred cooking style for whole poultry?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like spatchcocking and rotisserie cooking poultry. I've only ever done turkey just whole as a roast, but not for any particular reason other than that's just the way I've always done it. I'd like to try other methods for turkey, but frankly I haven't given it much thought.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
jestridge

Same above
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
chad

I like beer can chicken, a lot. I also cook a lot of chicken parts.
How I cook a bird depends a lot on the context.
A spatchcocked chicken or turkey should be cut up in the kitchen. It would make a pretty weird table presentation...but maybe that's the reaction you need for a party!!
It's all good.
YMMV!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't have a rotisserie for my WSM, according to the mentioned article I don't trust a real beer can, and I have not ordered any of the two shown accessories, so my first bird this weekend will be spatchcocked.

I see no need to present a chicken in one piece, IMHO that's something for goose, duck or turkey (especially when having guests).

As it looks we'll have no guests for Thanksgiving, only family, so I am not sure what to do about the planned Thanksgiving Turkey (which will be our first one, Thanksgiving is not common here).

Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Ijustwantedtolookatpics
On the road to being a farker

I'm a spatchcock person all the way.
My family raves about beer can chicken and ask me to make it often, but honestly I don't really taste much of a difference. I'd rather use it in a brine if I want beer flavor. Plus the little gizmo I use for beer can style is a pain to clean.
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
thirtydaZe
Full Fledged Farker

For simplicity purposes i generally go horizontal, i do however crack a beer, drink half, and jam the can in there.

If you put it in drinking hole faced up, and crease the can, it works really well.

I do like spatching, but i get lazy about it.
Weber Summit
Weber Performer
Weber Go-Anywhere
Weber Jumbo Joe
thirtydaZe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

If you just butterfly it open by removing the backbone to keep it all looking good for presentation, if you have any cheapie bacon around to wrap the wings and thighs in for the first 30 of 45 to keep them from cooking before the rest of it

Old 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cocked and locked baby, and I'm never going back to a whole bird if it's chicken or turkey.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to use my 22" Weber Kettle for the birds, since it's really about cooking hot & fast.

For chicken, I get a pile of coals going, then dived into two and push to the sides, place a pan down for the drippings and toss some wood chips down for smoke. Then I set two birds in the middle and cover for an hour. Perfect every time!

For a turkey, I get eight pounds of charcoal white hot and spread evenly across the bottom. Right before cooking I toss another two pounds down with a couple of handfuls of wood chips. Then place a 12-14 pound bird (that's about as big as you can go and still get the lid on the Weber) in a foil pan lined w/onions, carrots & celery. Cook for an hour uncovered to get brown and smoked. The cover w/foil and continue cooking until done. Allow to rest before carving, etc., etc.... The drippings in the pan make excellent gravy!

Lastly, I've never brined my birds before, but the Brethren here have convinced me to give it a try.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
N8man
Babbling Farker

I like 'em whole on the can holder
without the can....gets smokey inside and out....

and makes for a special presentation....

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

Spatchcocked for me. After brining, of course.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I voted for spatchcock since the ultimate way is not listed... which is... suspended, horizontally, but with breast down about 4 inches from the grate, indirectly.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I either spatch, or I grill. I've never used one of the turkey cannons, but someone here(I'm thinking Wampus for some reason)used one with great results.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Spatchcock here too. It has been the family's favorite since the first time I tried it. I am going to try a turkey the same way soon.
[CENTER]Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]SS Weber Performer X 2 [/CENTER]
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote