Santa Maria Style Tri-Tip with PRoN

boggster

Reaction score
I did some Santa Maria style Tri-Tip on the BGE the other night using the reverse-sear method. It was a perfect evening for a little brew and que. Started by applying a basic Santa Maria style rub on both sides of meat. I cooked it low-n-slow over some lump and a few pecan chunks. When the internal temperature hit about 120, I pulled the meat off and superheated the grill. I finished the tri-tip by throwing it back on the fire until the internal temperature rose to about 135 and took it off for a little rest. The tri-tip was tender and super juicy. I just wish I had gotten more of a crust on it.

A little Brew and Que!
IMG_1145.JPG

Tri-Tip rubbed with Santa Maria style blend.
IMG_1147.JPG

Resting after the sear.
IMG_1148.JPG

The finished product. I was surprised at how much juice stayed in the meat and didn't run out all over the pan.
IMG_1149.JPG

That looks great, Moose! What spices are in a Santa Maria-style blend?

That looks great, Moose! What spices are in a Santa Maria-style blend?

Tish...you have me confused with Boggster! To answer your question though, salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, basically.

Thanks, Moose! Sorry, boggster! It does look delicious. Is that a prepared blend, or did you make it yourself, boggster?

Thanks Tish! I put it together myself. Only live a couple hours from Santa Maria, CA so that style is really popular around here.

Thanks, Moose! Sorry, boggster! It does look delicious. Is that a prepared blend, or did you make it yourself, boggster?

Ryan from The Rub Company makes an excellent Santa Maria rub if you want to try it. I just used it on the skirt steak I posted this am.

I have been trying to tell the wife we need to do a tri tip...this will seal the deal.

Ryan from The Rub Company makes an excellent Santa Maria rub if you want to try it. I just used it on the skirt steak I posted this am.
I second that Moose. I made my own for years until I tried Ryan's and have never turned back.

Great looking Tri-tip boggster!

I second that Moose. I made my own for years until I tried Ryan's and have never turned back.

Great looking Tri-tip boggster!

Sounds like I need to put some of Ryan's rub on the Christmas list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Back