• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Gonna try pulled pork sandwiches ...

S

Sam_Wheat

Hello everyone! Thank you all for the help you have giving me with my previous BBQ's!!! Here is my new project, which I understand is not a very difficult one but it's my first attempt.

I am going to make pulled pork sandwiches. I purchased 6.25 lbs of pork butt roast. I have it in a brine in the fridge as we speak. I had read that it will take up to 18 hours to smoke in my 18.5" WSM so I am preparing it for an over night smoke.

I recently read elsewhere it will take 1.5 hours per pound. So now I am looking at 9 hours of a smoke.

I need help!

i pull mine when they are between 195-200 and double wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with a beach towel over it for a couple hours and then pull the pork. go by temps rather than time.

Usually smoke around 250-260ish. A good guess -ta-ment is 1.5hrs per pound, but when its done its done. There should be no pull on the thermometer when your checkn temps, usually around 195ish.

Good Luck & Take lots of Pics:thumb:

Aiming for 200 to 225 degrees

Pork is very forgiving. Cook it at 250ish. At 200 - 225 you're looking at at least 1.5 hours per pound, but at 250 you'll be closer to an hour per pound. But, plan on a least two hours longer than you think. If it is done early you can wrap it in foil and then some towels and put it into a pre-heated cooler to rest. I try to give pork at least two hours rest but I have held butts for several hours with no problems.

I'm not sure what there is to be gained by cooking 200-225 degrees. I would kick the temps up as suggested already. RonL's pretty much got you covered up there.

I actually did my last butt at 325-350 and it turned out fanfarkingtastic - definitely gotta watch the bark, foil if necessary during the cook and allow for resting. It was a 7# bone in and got done in 5 or 6 hours with a couple hours rest after that. Sleep is good!

One thing to remember is butts are normally done within the 190-205 range (depends on the butt). Your cooking temp has to be significantly hotter than the target IT of the meat or else you won't get there in any kind of feasible time frame.

Good luck & don't forget the slaw!

Ok, I checked it throughout the night and all seemed well. This morning I check the water level, charcoal and internal temp of the butt. The internal temp of the butt was 185 and the temp inside the WSM was 220.

How do I raise the temp? I opened the bottom vents just now. Anything else?

I thought the butt should have a darkened/charred outer surface? Am I way off? Please advise!

photo-10.jpg

Opening the vents up will bring your temps up, as long as you still have sufficient fuel to burn. It looks like you're getting some good bark on there. It doesn't always have to be super dark. Because your temps are so low, the sugars in your rub probably just aren't turning as dark as what you see in a lot of pics.

Picking up on the temperature discussion, I've experimented with hot & fast cooks quite a bit over the last few months. Life is busy with kids, work, etc, so I'm always open to a time saver. I did a fundraiser a while back where I cooked 7 butts in my 22.5 WSM and did them 325-350. They got done MUCH quicker and turned out phenomenal. Good smoke ring, good smoke flavor, just as moist and juicy as ever. In other words, no one could tell the difference between those butts and the ones I've cooked at 275. Something to think about in the future and possibly give a try.

Pork is very forgiving. Cook it at 250ish. At 200 - 225 you're looking at at least 1.5 hours per pound, but at 250 you'll be closer to an hour per pound. But, plan on a least two hours longer than you think. If it is done early you can wrap it in foil and then some towels and put it into a pre-heated cooler to rest. I try to give pork at least two hours rest but I have held butts for several hours with no problems.

So that's why Phil's always smiling...:becky:

Looks good to me so far Sam Wheat! Agreed on the low temp/bark issue. You'll probably find a nice crunch to it still when it's done.

Thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully it tastes great.

Is it smoking on the middle grate? Looks like you flipped it. Always keep the top vent open. Opening all 3 lower vents will increase your temp, opening and propping the door, will raise the temps even more. If the butt was on top, it would have developed more of a char/barky surface. Have not smoked a butt on the middle grate yet.

Do you have a remote thermometer for internal temps on the meat?

Back