MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Default Charcoal baskets?

What are some good charcoal baskets out there and what are your burn times? I'm wanting to get one that can burn over night without having to get up and reload. Thanks

Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Um...a basket for what kind of cooker?
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Spicewine has one for their Spiceboxes.

Had one fabbed up for my Lang just to allow for overnight powernaps between fuel reloads... (3 hours).

Don't know any offsets that will do that off a single load... except for a pellet driven Jambo.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Spicewine has one for their Spiceboxes.

Had one fabbed up for my Lang just to allow for overnight powernaps between fuel reloads... (3 hours).

Don't know any offsets that will do that off a single load... except for a pellet driven Jambo.

how big was your basket for the lang? I wanna make one for my 20x48 offset so i can use it during overnight cooks as well. or at least if i put it on at 2am i can hopefully sleep till 5 then again till 8.

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirty00 View Post
how big was your basket for the lang? I wanna make one for my 20x48 offset so i can use it during overnight cooks as well. or at least if i put it on at 2am i can hopefully sleep till 5 then again till 8.
Nothing real scientific...
Emptied out the firebox... leaving just a fire grate in the box... and measured how big the opening was from the grate to the top of the opening.

Measured how wide and deep (left to right) and from the opening to the back to the smoke outlet... and subtracted 2" from all sides to allow space. Had the grate remade as well... solid steel frame, legs out of angle iron, and a double layer of expanded steel with one level slightly offset to retain burning pieces... only finer ash particles to drop.

Based on my offset... the charcoal box is on the bigger side... will hold over 30 lbs charcoal easy.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
SLCMACK
On the road to being a farker

Sorry, its a 24 x 24 in firebox

Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
DirtyDirty00
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Nothing real scientific...
Emptied out the firebox... leaving just a fire grate in the box... and measured how big the opening was from the grate to the top of the opening.

Measured how wide and deep (left to right) and from the opening to the back to the smoke outlet... and subtracted 2" from all sides to allow space. Had the grate remade as well... solid steel frame, legs out of angle iron, and a double layer of expanded steel with one level slightly offset to retain burning pieces... only finer ash particles to drop.

Based on my offset... the charcoal box is on the bigger side... will hold over 30 lbs charcoal easy.

Thanks. I'm prolly gonna make one soon for mine.

This thing held it up to temp for 3 hrs? Did u burn sticks first to get it up to temp or starting cold the coal got it to temp? And if u fill the basket how much lit coal did u put on top roughly?

Wishlist:
22.5" WSM
DirtyDirty00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirty00 View Post
Thanks. I'm prolly gonna make one soon for mine.

This thing held it up to temp for 3 hrs? Did u burn sticks first to get it up to temp or starting cold the coal got it to temp? And if u fill the basket how much lit coal did u put on top roughly?
Either wood or a full chimney placed in the firebox... sometimes helping to pre-heat the steel - weedburner. The box "could" hold 40 lbs... but is too much for a controlled burn. Once up to temp or time to reload... push the lit coals to the rear/closest to the smoke chamber opening and pour a bag into the area closest to you.

Short, sweet, and good for 3 hours... when a power nap is required.

Former smokers;

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

My buddy made this one for his Lang. It's about 18x18x18. Holds a bag of charcoal plus wood on top. He ran a 12 hour cook on 2 bags of charcoal and about 8 sticks of wood. Makes a huge difference in how often you have to feed the fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317169400.250731.jpg (48.0 KB, 422 views)
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #10
Big Bears BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I had one made just like BBQ Bandit did for my Lang 60D and it made all the difference..............
Big Bears BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
BBQ_MAFIA

I tried using a Charcoal basket for the first time a few weeks ago.

I didn't have a basket but I did have an old Steel Milk Box. The kind that the old Milkman used to keep the bottles in. I was amazed on how long it kept my Lang 60 at 250 degrees.

Om saying that, I have a question for you guys.

How do you refill the basket safely. Lastly, do you put new coals on top of the remaining coals that are burning and then add a full chimney to the top of the basket or do you burn from the bottom up like a gravity fed cooker?

Thanks for the help.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

That is a slight risk.

Don't have the smoker here for pictures... but will try to explain.

note: I actually use my boot to kick the basket up/down to knock off the ash before pulling it out (partially). Already under the firebox is a automotive drip pan (2' x 3')... with a jackstand in front of the open firebox. Adjust the height of the jackstand approx. the same height as the fire grate. Using welding gloves, pull out the firebox partway and rest it on the jackstand.

I've pushed the live coals towards the smoke chamber and poured in a full bag... but it does cause some live embers to be dropped. if I don't... just poured the bag over the lit coals will create some unsightly white smoke... but it is short lived and no bitter aftertaste... will burn upwards without a problem.

Former smokers;

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #13
Frankbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

I use baskets in a couple of cookers. The more air tight the cooker the better a basket will work. Cooker temp can be controlled by air and/or fuel supply. Controling air supply is the way to go. I get 6-10 hours out of cookers with a basket.
Frankbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I typically grab the box and pick one end up and drop it a few times to knock off the cling ash. I then use my ash removal tool (old golf club, head removed, flattened and bent into an L shape) to scoop out the ash under the fire basket. I then take my coal shovel or tongs and move all the hot coal toward the blower door. I then load new coal closer to the cook box. Fire moves toward the cook box as it burns down.

I have to clean ash at least once during a typical comp cook.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
BBQ_MAFIA

Thanks, this helps a lot.

I haven't tried a Fire Basket on the Lang84 but plan to give it a shot soon.
I hope it works as well as it did on the 60.

Thanks again.

Quote:
That is a slight risk.

Don't have the smoker here for pictures... but will try to explain.

note: I actually use my boot to kick the basket up/down to knock off the ash before pulling it out (partially). Already under the firebox is a automotive drip pan (2' x 3')... with a jackstand in front of the open firebox. Adjust the height of the jackstand approx. the same height as the fire grate. Using welding gloves, pull out the firebox partway and rest it on the jackstand.

I've pushed the live coals towards the smoke chamber and poured in a full bag... but it does cause some live embers to be dropped. if I don't... just poured the bag over the lit coals will create some unsightly white smoke... but it is short lived and no bitter aftertaste... will burn upwards without a problem.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote