• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to cut St Louis Style Spares (Tutorial)

I agree with everyone else, great post.
As a professional photographer and videographer going to offer one suggestion.
A pic of the cooked ribs would have been Ok to add. :)

Posts like this is what makes this forum the "Go To" forum when you need information.

is that just a regular kitchen knife you are using to cut the rack down? I have wondered how to cut through the bone,

I agree with everyone else, great post.
As a professional photographer and videographer going to offer one suggestion.
A pic of the cooked ribs would have been Ok to add. :)

OK, this is what I did with those two racks.
RibPractice80000014.jpg

is that just a regular kitchen knife you are using to cut the rack down? I have wondered how to cut through the bone,

That's a 5" paring knife, and I'm not cutting through any bones. You locate the longest bone and insert the knife just beyond it. When you cut down the rack, you will not hit any other bones because they're all shorter. Try it and you'll see.

OK, this is what I did with those two racks.
RibPractice80000014.jpg

That's a 5" paring knife, and I'm not cutting through any bones. You locate the longest bone and insert the knife just beyond it. When you cut down the rack, you will not hit any other bones because they're all shorter. Try it and you'll see.
that's a beautiful plate of ribs. I can't wait to get to do those. thanks for the tutorial.

great post

the place i usually buy my ribs from has started trimming them really short. so i am starting to buy the whole rack intact and trim it myself.
thanks you

Great tutorial! I have had a hard time with getting the membrane off the back of the ribs. I will have to try and use your method next time. Thanks!

I never knew what to do with the rib tips, and now i do. Thanks for taking the time to do this, it was so great. Thanks for the USDA link also.

bookmarked this a few weeks ago and finally got the chance to prepare some spares for tomorrow. Super easy to do and these three racks are going to fit so much better. Too bad my Kiwi knives arrived 2minutes after I cut my last rack! Thanks for tutorial!!

Great tutorial. Here is my question do you have to trim them? I have done two racks so far and I just trim off the fat and throw the whole thing on. I have one more rack in the Freezer that I try this with but just wondering if just cooking the whole slab is OK. Comes out a bit messy but tasty

DSC02972.jpg

Back