MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Cooking for 35 at work?

I got tasked to do BBQ for a going away party for a co-worker who is leaving to join the Navy. I'm cooking for about 30, but there are always stragglers so it could be as many as 35.

Here's what I have so far

14.5 lb brisket
4 lbs pinto beans
75 buns

They want a selection, so I'm also doing pulled pork. How much pork butt do I need? I was thinking at least 15 lbs of pork, but I'm not sure. Keep in mind, most of the people I'm feeding are mechanics and these guys can eat a lot... especially if it's free! I just need to make sure everybody gets fed well. Also, is that enough beans? I bought a 10 lb bag, but I've only soaked about 4 lbs, do I need more?

I also need to come up with another side. I don't think cole slaw will fly with this crowd. Mac and cheese is always a favorite, but I need to prep it the night before and the way I make it doesn't reheat well and I don't have access to an oven. I doubt anyone will complain with just a bunch of meat and beans, but another side would be nice.

Thanks in advance for any help!
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Captain P.J.
Full Fledged Farker

What about potato salad or macaroni salad?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd add another brisket or at least a flat. And 3 butts. That will give the men about 6 oz of each meat and that is a good large serving that you say you want.

Sides - do you have anything to reheat pans in? If not then it's cold sides. You could reheat green beans casserole while pulling pork and slicing brisket. They will need to rest at least a hour before starting. Maybe even reheat baked taters. Or if you have a turkey fryer maybe do Onion Rings. Think outside the box.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
I'd add another brisket or at least a flat. And 3 butts. That will give the men about 6 oz of each meat and that is a good large serving that you say you want.

Sides - do you have anything to reheat pans in? If not then it's cold sides. You could reheat green beans casserole while pulling pork and slicing brisket. They will need to rest at least a hour before starting. Maybe even reheat baked taters. Or if you have a turkey fryer maybe do Onion Rings. Think outside the box.
I'm going to do the beans in crock pots to stay warm. Everything else will probably have to be cold. May just buy potato salad as suggested before.

I was mainly worried about the meats. I'll get 3 more butts and if I can find a flat I'll do that, otherwise I think I'll have to stick with 1 brisket, because I have a hard time finding small packers.

Am I OK for beans or do I need more?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would get a tub of mac salad or potato salad as suggested, figure a tub or two from Costco. I add some fresh chopped onions and celery to the salad to freshen it up. Add a little black pepper as well.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up Red Potato

The Red Potato salad from Costco is awsome. Just spruce it up a bit as suggested in the previous reply...
Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all the help everyone. My co-worker and I just got done prepping the brisket and 25 lbs of pork shoulder, the beans (8lbs after they soaked), and 8lbs of potato salad. Went store bought and spruced it up as suggested. The brisket is on the smoker now and I'm going to throw the pork on around 10 and cook it all night on the FEC-100.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #8
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like a great luncheon. Just as a suggestion, i always use white pepper in potato salad and slaw. its there, but nobody sees it. Kind of a hidden kick, but thats just me. Good luck to your buddy joining the Navy. God speed.

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
22.5 " WSM X2
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the input everyone! The food was a hit. I probably should have had more brisket since that was what everyone kept raving about and it went quick. I had 25 lbs of pulled pork and I'm taking home a whole butt that I didn't even pull. There's also about 3 lbs of beans leftover and all the potato salad is gone. Because of timing and our work schedule and everything I fed about 8 less guys than I anticipated.

It was definitely better to have too much food than not enough!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Heck, that sounds about right for the end leftovers. There are almost always a few beans left over and one butt left after not serving three guys, you were almost spot on.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote