MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
GBPB
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Hand made grates for smoker

I am in the process of building a smoker that will have about a 2' x 4' grill area. I was wandering what some of you guys have used for grates on your home made grills/smokers. I was really wanting to do something different than expanded metal. Any suggestions?

Thanks
GBPB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Way way back, I saw a guy use rebar. It wasn't pretty.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #3
LT72884
Babbling Farker

expanded metal cut to size and framed with sqaure framing. PM cowgirl. she mad a grate for her tractor rim fire pit

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...fire-ring.html

Old 01-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
NCsmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

If you can weld you could come up with just about anything. I layed out a grid using angle iron and 1/4" thin wall tubbing that was about that size for an off set. Ended up costing me alot more time and money than expanded metal would have.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

I use expanded metal with a square tubing frame it aint fancy but its fast and works
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCsmoker View Post
If you can weld you could come up with just about anything. I layed out a grid using angle iron and 1/4" thin wall tubbing that was about that size for an off set. Ended up costing me alot more time and money than expanded metal would have.
never mind then. i guess EX metal aint the way to go, but then again, i got mine dirt cheap.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would look at the idea of welding up some heavy steel bar stock into grates. I like the idea of carbon steel grates. I have seen a lot of rebar and smooth bar grates and they work great. Not pretty perhaps, but, it holds heat, easily welds up, does not corrode once seasoned and is strong.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

I have made stainless grates that look like grates on a Weber and others. What I did is use some MDF the size of the grate then used some MDF 1/2 spacers to put between the ss rods the grate was being made of. Once it was all laid out. I welded the bar together. Just takes a spot at the junction of the two.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

What do they call that "cat-walk" lookin metal?

I've never used it, but I have seen it used. Me...I'd probably salvage some freebie grates from old gas grills .

Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
Johnny Ca$h
Full Fledged Farker

you could draw out a fancy logo and have it waterjeted at a local shop? but that could be pricy
Johnny Ca$h is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
chromestacks
Full Fledged Farker

The reason a lot of us like expanded metal is because it is light weight but durable. And as mentioned above FAST. If you like fabricating and welding, you could go with a small diameter round rod. I would still recomend a frame or some type of reinforcement.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBPB View Post
I am in the process of building a smoker that will have about a 2' x 4' grill area. I was wandering what some of you guys have used for grates on your home made grills/smokers. I was really wanting to do something different than expanded metal. Any suggestions?

Thanks

At Home Depot and Lowes, they carry a number of different replacement grates for grills. Unless you're absolutely stuck on making your own, I'd get one of those and adapt it. They're made for grilling, and the heat transfer from other metals might not give you the same results with cooking or the cleanup afterward. AND... building the grill might be enough on your plate already, eh?

Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
What do they call that "cat-walk" lookin metal?

I've never used it, but I have seen it used. Me...I'd probably salvage some freebie grates from old gas grills .

bar grate
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #15
hmacmill
Got Wood.

Used stainless expanded metal on mine. Works real well. If i did it over, i would go without stainless. a good seasoning will most likely keep it from rusting.
hmacmill is offline   Reply With Quote