MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Default First pizza on the kettle...pron

This was my first try at grilling pizza, I was happy with the way it turned out even though I used canned pizza crust and ready made sauce because I was in a hurry. I wound up with 4 pizzas-one grilled chicken with roasted peppers, another grilled chicken with peppers and Italian sausage, one sausage and pepperoni, and one cheese, for the kiddo!!
They turned out well, but my biggest concern was not busting the pizza stone. I preheated it in the oven then put it on the grill. I also put an aluminum pan over the coals so the stone wouldn't be exposed to direct heat. Seemed to work pretty well, except the edges got done way before the center. Could the pan I placed over the coals have let the stone "cool off" in the center? What are some of ya'lls experiences with pizza stones??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 047.jpg (82.7 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg 048.jpg (63.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 052.jpg (58.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg 056.jpg (68.8 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg 057.jpg (84.0 KB, 209 views)

Old 10-28-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

looks mighty tasty. I have no advice on the stone, though.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
landarc

Nice job on the pizzas. How long did you let the stone heat up? It takes a long time for a pizza stone to heat up, especially the better thick ones. I would wonder if you did not get the center of the stone heated enough before putting the pizzas on.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
hockeyfox
Knows what a fatty is.

IMHO the pan acted as a diffuser and turned your kettle into a semi oven with convective heat. The stone you are using looks to be heavy duty so I think your set up is pretty darn good. I would actually be surprised if the center of the stone had a cold spot. Those stones absorb heat pretty well and uniformly.
hockeyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #5
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
How long did you let the stone heat up?
It was in the oven at 400 degrees for probably 45 minutes or more. I oiled it and was trying to season it some before I used it. It is a new one from BB&B $20.00, probably about 3/8" thick. I believe Oneida is the brand.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
hockeyfox
Knows what a fatty is.

Okay, I stand corrected. For some reason the stone looked to be almost a half an inch thick. My eyes must be deceiving me. You may have some issues with a 3/8 inch thick stone. I have shattered stones in the past. What I did was purchase a bunch of fire bricks, put them on a grate directly above the coals and put the pizza stone on top of the fire bricks. Worked out very well for me. I bought a box of 6 from Ace Hardware for around $20. But most brick/stone supply centers probably sell them for around a buck each.
hockeyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Looks great.. I use a round Oneida stone and I bank the coals on one side and cook indirect because I'm afraid of cracking the stone as well, even though I heat it up in the oven to 425..

Old 10-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Looks tasty. Add MORE beer and you've got breakfast, lunch and dinner!!
BlkJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #9
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

Thatsa nice lookin Pie you got there, bet it was nice and tasty too...
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
landarc

It should not make a difference since you heated the stone up as long as you did. I bank my coals to the side, as Blackened suggested, that might help.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfox View Post
Okay, I stand corrected. For some reason the stone looked to be almost a half an inch thick. My eyes must be deceiving me. You may have some issues with a 3/8 inch thick stone. I have shattered stones in the past. What I did was purchase a bunch of fire bricks, put them on a grate directly above the coals and put the pizza stone on top of the fire bricks. Worked out very well for me. I bought a box of 6 from Ace Hardware for around $20. But most brick/stone supply centers probably sell them for around a buck each.
I thought about that idea with the fire bricks I just didn' know if that would be too thick to get the heat to the stone. But if it works for you I think I will invest a couple of bucks in some bricks and give it a try. Thanks for all the tips so far everyone, and so fast!!

Old 10-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Blackened
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

Speaking of bricks, here's a video using some.. something to think about..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeQBHludGs

Old 10-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
bigabyte

That looks fantastic!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
Jersey Joe
On the road to being a farker

I've seen some folks on another board have great results with one of these Lodge CI pizza pans on their kettle and I am buying one before I do another pizza. My wife cracked the stone I had by not preheating it in the oven first :( (rookies.)

Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

Great looking pizzas!!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote