MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #61
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

This is my entry titled "Julia's Cheese Souffle".

I planned to do this cook on Friday afternoon, despite thunderstorms and a tornado watch our skies remained sunny and blue. Life just kept getting in the way, though, and despite my best efforts I wasn't able to and then the dark clouds rolled in. We didn't get a tornado but we did get some high winds that did the following. The first photo is the branches of a black walnut tree above where my kamado used to be last year before I moved it to clear the area for a smoke shake build. The second photo is of another black walnut tree I've allowed to grow and it was going to be a corner in the permaculture area I'm planning. I'll cut it down and plant an oak and a chestnut tree as new corners. Good thing I didn't smoke my soufflé on Friday, the thump of the tree branches falling would have deflated my hard work.

I got the recipe and directions for this souffle from watching a Youtube video of Julia Child's "The French Chef" television series. Here's the video, it's hilarious!

Below are the ingredients. I didn't have milk so diluted 1/4 cup half and half with 5/4 water to get my 1 1/2 cups of milk.

First I separated the eggs from the whites -- a total of 6 yolks and 8 whites were needed.

I used a corning ware dish I already had, it was a little wider than what Julia used on the video but it worked well. It is buttered with grated cheese sprinkled on top of the butter, I chose Romano because that is my favourite grated cheese.

Next I made my béchamel sauce/thick white sauce. Started with a roux, eyeballed too much butter so put that aside and started fresh with a measured amount of butter to the measured flour. Really glad I started fresh because the sauce came out beautiful and exactly how Julia described it should be.

The egg yolks make it a beautiful yellow and thin the sauce which is why it's important to start with a very thick one. I kept the sauce warm by inserting the pot in a larger pot of hot water as Julia suggested and it made the mixing trouble-free.

Beat the whites in the mixer until they were glossy and just starting to stiffen.

Made a collar to contain the souffle's rise and buttered it so the souffle would not stick.

Of all the days to have trouble getting my kamado up to 375'F! I overshoot my usual smoking temperature of 250'F all the time because I get sidetracked and don't check often enough. This day I checked temperatures every 10 minutes and had a lot of trouble passing 300. I had several other things on the go simultaneously and had to run out of the house in about an hour, not returning for about 11 hours. My kamado was only at 350, Julia's recipe called for 375, but since I had no time to do things different and would be out of town on Sunday, the last day of the TD, I put the souffle in Dragona's fiery belly and hoped for the best.

Here’s peeking through the top vent.

Here’s my very first soufflé successfully baked on my kamado!!

Please use the photo below for voting.

It was delicious!! Carol made it very clear I am to make this cheese soufflé often.

Thanks for looking.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[B][I][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Walk in beauty, Dan Chambers.[/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][COLOR="DarkRed"]I am a success in life because I am loved.[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Kathy's Smokin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #62
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

I am having an absolutely HORRIBLE time with my computer on more than one front and it's even worse trying to upload my cook photos. I think the best thing to do is close it up and try again in the morning. I have a shot of the soufflé in Buccs thread I will try to post here.
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][I][B]Inspiration, boisterous merriment and good food are what Brethren Throwdowns are about![/B][/I][/URL]

[COLOR="Lime"][I][B]"^^^ the fark is what u eats the frog wit not? Ban Ban"[/B][/I] [I][B]Southernsmoker[/B][/I][/COLOR]
Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #63
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Does this help?

Looks the same?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:20 AM   #64
buccaneer

Oignon, le poireau et la tomate provençale tarte

First, I had to make a pastry pie outer and I cooked this on the BSK at 400-500f with an eggwash.

In ze meantime, I sweated 600g of leeks and onions with some butter and OO.

Pastry cooked and a lovely golden color, I pressed the insert down , lovely and flaky, looking good!

We spoon the soft rich onion and leek mixture into the pie shell

Next, we fill with filets of anchovies for delicious saltiness, fresh seasoned medley of heritage mini tomatoes, baby bell peppers fried lightly in bacon fat, speck lardons, black kalamati olives and some fresh continental parsley.

The flakey buttery pastry and fresh zesty tomatoes balanced amazingly, while the salty notes of rich anchovy and olives were heady and the bell peppers and parsley set the high tone for savory zing. The gorgeous crunchy Lardons pushed it over the top!!
We thought we were sitting at a table on the side of the Sienne river in a Parisienne cafe.
That, brothers, was a stunning way to do a BBQ French meal that would have curled Julia Childs toes in ecstacy!

Last edited by buccaneer; 07-22-2013 at 03:45 AM..
buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #65
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Oooh la la, Buccs, that looks GORGEOUS! Almost too gorgeous to eat unless a prayer or sacrifice of some sort is offered first. Love the flakey crust, the savoury taste the sweated leeks & onions must have and the fresh, salty tomato/olive/anchovy medley must have. I believe Julia's toes would have curled in ecstacy.

Also, thanks for posting the photo. I took it from the one I posted on your thread and cut and pasted it into my thread, what a relief it took. My computer was stunned on this site, too, I had to continually refresh my page to get any interaction and was lucky not to lose my whole thread inserting the photo.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #66
buccaneer

^^^Thanks for the confidence boost Kathy!
Rgarding the pic, You are welcome Kathy. passe de problem, I reckon a souffle on a barbie is going to do great, I am in awe!

TFO has commanded more tarts!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #67
caseydog

Hey mods and old timers, is this the first soufflé ever posted? And, it was baked on a real grill/smoker.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #68
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

That's high praise, CD, thanks!!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #69
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Default Please accept this Official Entry into the "Let's Cook Like Julia Child" TD

Multiple tries to post photos failed!

Last edited by Kathy's Smokin'; 07-22-2013 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: testing how to place photos
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #70
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I'm beginning to wonder why I bother entering!? Kathy and Buccs I commend you, I just can't keep up!
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #71
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
I'm beginning to wonder why I bother entering!? Kathy and Buccs I commend you, I just can't keep up!
Awww, thanks bro!
I'm chuffed with the challenge, great idea and TFO and I got a really super new treat because of the inspiration.
Thanks brethren!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #72
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Awww, thanks bro!
I'm chuffed with the challenge, great idea and TFO and I got a really super new treat because of the inspiration.
Thanks brethren!
That dish looked fantastic. I'll be attempting to copy it once my cherry and grape tomatoes start to ripen up.
[/B]Loser of Known Space
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #73
Kathy's Smokin'
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS2SB View Post
Please don't stop entering, I love your cooks!

And isn't it you and me that have future plans for a tag team TD entry? Surely you won't deny us and the farkers that fun.....

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #74
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy's Smokin' View Post
Please don't stop entering, I love your cooks!

And isn't it you and me that have future plans for a tag team TD entry? Surely you won't deny us and the farkers that fun.....
I'm not considering quitting. Just need to figure out some way to step up the game. I feel like the bar has been raised significantly since I first started participating a year ago.
[/B]Loser of Known Space
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #75
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Hey mods and old timers, is this the first soufflé ever posted? And, it was baked on a real grill/smoker.

CD
That was exactly my point in the current vote thread, and the reason why Kathy got my vote. That was one impressive result. I would have loved to have done the texture test down the middle top on that.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote