• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Rules of the Game

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
A very successful real estate company has the following list they call the "Rules of the Game" to which they expect all sales professionals to adhere. Many people have spoken of a Code of Conduct for the KCBS Board. Read down through this list and I think you'll find that it might just apply to the KCBS as well and a very good start towards harmony... I have bolded the ones I see as especially pertinent:

Rules of the Game

1. Be willing to support our purpose, games, rules and goals.

2. Attend our meetings when you are in town. Listen and participate.

3. Speak with good intention. Be open and honest in your communications with each other. Get the facts before making opinions.

4. Stick together regardless of the outcome of “votes”.

5. Treat each other with respect.

6. Complete your agreements (do what you promise).
a. Make only agreements that you intend to keep.
b. Clear up any broken or potentially broken agreements at the first appropriate time with the appropriate person.
c. Don’t make promises for other people.

7. If a problem arises, look first to the system for corrections and then communicate your solution to the person who can do something about it.

8. Commit to adding value (more with less).

9. Have the willingness to win and let others win (Win/Win).

10. Focus on what works and be willing to declare what doesn’t work.

11. Accept responsibility. Avoid laying blame and justifying.

12. “Raise the flag” and ask for help when you are overloaded.

13. Encourage the risk of innovation and positive change.

14. Operate from a data base of reality (what is). Run your business like a business.

15. Help keep the space positively charged.

16. Maintain a sense of humor and perspective.

I would bold the number 9 and 11 and add, don't take it upon yourself to do everyone else's job.

Bunny
PS. Send it to the BOD

A very successful real estate company has the following list they call the "Rules of the Game" to which they expect all sales professionals to adhere. Many people have spoken of a Code of Conduct for the KCBS Board. Read down through this list and I think you'll find that it might just apply to the KCBS as well and a very good start towards harmony... I have bolded the ones I see as especially pertinent:

Rules of the Game

1. Be willing to support our purpose, games, rules and goals.

2. Attend our meetings when you are in town. Listen and participate.

3. Speak with good intention. Be open and honest in your communications with each other. Get the facts before making opinions.

4. Stick together regardless of the outcome of “votes”.

5. Treat each other with respect.

6. Complete your agreements (do what you promise).
a. Make only agreements that you intend to keep.
b. Clear up any broken or potentially broken agreements at the first appropriate time with the appropriate person.
c. Don’t make promises for other people.

7. If a problem arises, look first to the system for corrections and then communicate your solution to the person who can do something about it.

8. Commit to adding value (more with less).

9. Have the willingness to win and let others win (Win/Win).

10. Focus on what works and be willing to declare what doesn’t work.

11. Accept responsibility. Avoid laying blame and justifying.

12. “Raise the flag” and ask for help when you are overloaded.

13. Encourage the risk of innovation and positive change.

14. Operate from a data base of reality (what is). Run your business like a business.

15. Help keep the space positively charged.

16. Maintain a sense of humor and perspective.

Sounds like a place I would love to work

Jeff, remember this is the group that couldn't approve "Roberts rules of Order" for Board meetings...

For what it's worth, why do you good folks pay good money to belong to an organization that can't even agree to use the method that almost every respectable organization uses? If they don't use Robert's Rules, how is the board held accountable? (I already know the answer). Maybe you should think about saving your membership dues and putting that money in the Salvation Army bucket or send it to Scottie's foundation until the BoD gets its act together.

(too much?)

For what it's worth, why do you good folks pay good money to belong to an organization that can't even agree to use the method that almost every respectable organization uses? If they don't use Robert's Rules, how is the board held accountable? (I already know the answer). Maybe you should think about saving your membership dues and putting that money in the Salvation Army bucket or send it to Scottie's foundation until the BoD gets its act together.

(too much?)

I can't contribute to change, if I can't vote. I think my lack of enthusiasm for the way things have been going is pretty clear based on some of my past statements. Is it fair for me to ask a group of candidates to run for office, put in the time and effort to fix something that I believe needs attention, and NOT be willing to invest $35/year? Besides, I paid for two years the last time I renewed and still have over a year remaining on my membership:wink: I'll see what difference if any the new members of the board make, and make a decision after the next election.

I am with Jorge on this issue. I feel the same about my state association as well!

Back