MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Default KCBS event by yourself can it be done?

I have a comp next month. My 1st KCBS by the way, anyway my friend who helps sometimes can not make it that weekend. My question is can this be pulled off okay with just me there?

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Fatback Joe
Babbling Farker

You bet. My son was with me this weekend and ran my boxes, but I am a one man show.

Key is to have everything organized and a solid timeline.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
Humphrey's GF Tank II
24 x 60 Shirley Fabrication
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.
The coking I think I will be okay with (I hope!!). But a box runner would be great if I could find one. Ask for help on the board? That would awesome if a fellow Brethren could lend a hand on Sept 23 - 24 in Owensboro Kentucky.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #5
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I've done 5 contests this year and do all the prep/cooking myself, I've been lucky enough to have someone show up on saturdays to run my boxes, I could do it myself at most events, but if the turn in was very far it would be a little tough.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

My first GC was totally by myself. Just get a game plan and keep things simple. Not hard to do.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Rub
is Blowin Smoke!

What Podge said. Mine are solo as well (25+), except the couple of times a year that we vend.
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Dan... wouldn't want to try it for your first event - there's enough to think about already without the added stress.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

I've been a one man show since the beginning. I have 20 something son, who was physically present, but found a tent where the copious amonts of liquor flowed all night at the first one.

Its alot of work but doable. And each one gets easier as you get more organized.

All that being said, I've often wished I had a partner to lighten the load.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
nthole
Babbling Farker

It's doable, but have a very specific plan that you follow so you don't get behind. And definitely a box runner would be helpful, but if you don't have one you'll live. If you are on your own and the event will be a bit spread out you might let the organizer know you are on your own and see if there is a chance they'll make sure you get a spot setup a bit closer to the judging turn in.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
bookie
Knows what a fatty is.

I was thinking about trying some competitions next year. My wife said she would come along, but due to health, I would being doing about 96%.
This and no experience sometimes get me thinking it may not be worth the effort. Participating to me would be more for excitement and fun, not so much about winning and being a one man gang, busting butt, might take this away.
bookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM   #12
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Ive done it and ran my own boxes. The way things are looking I will doing it again this weekend. So glad my spot is close th judging area
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #13
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiz-Nit View Post
The coking I think I will be okay with (I hope!!). But a box runner would be great if I could find one. Ask for help on the board? That would awesome if a fellow Brethren could lend a hand on Sept 23 - 24 in Owensboro Kentucky.
Depending on where your spot is, turn-ins in Owensboro can be a bit of a walk. I know someone who ran his own boxes at Owensboro but if I were you I would see if I could find someone to run the boxes. If you can't, definitely see if they can put you as close to the turn-in location as possible

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I am no expert at the Royal. I assisted the Smoking Scotsmen and at a fast walk it was around 5.5 minutes from our spot to turn in.
That did not include the bicycle race 2 years ago that slowed us up for a while during their finish.

There were a lot of folks who were much farther away than us.........just saying.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #15
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I am a one man show and have the physique of BBQ Small if you catch my drift and have no problems doing it at all. Sometimes it is nice to have someone taking care of the turn ins but for me it is enjoyable doing it alone.

The one tip I can add to the list is do as much as possible at home before you get there. That includes making rubs, making injections, making marinades, trimming all meat, and even making your boxes (Diva Q's method) if you want to party a little on Friday night.

After I unload on friday, I probably have about 15 mins of work (injecting meat) until I need to actually start preparing to cook around 10:30pm. That gives me several hours to socialize and watch others work.