MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Another day at the Farmers Market

Yesterday we went at it again at the Watts Healthy Farmers Market we got a late start because Glenn and I both overslept but we pre-cooked the Pork Butts, Brisket and ribs so we were still ale to get everything ready for our 10:00am start except the chicken links.

We had an early "rush" because a bunch of guys that work for the city came by and bought a bunch of "Bigmistas", our 3 meat/2 side combo. We found out from them that they were blocking off the street for the Watts Christmas parade. We were excited about the extra people until we realized that normal traffic wouldn't be able to get into the park.

WE decided to walk up and down the street and hand out menus to the people watching and the people in this long, unorganized parade. I think they let anybody be in the parade that had a car. I've seen lots of funeral processions that were better organized.

Anyway, we hustled our butts off and still managed to make 25% more than we did the first time we did it so improvement is good. Here is a pic of my friends that came to visit:

Notice the black and yellow storage bins in the bottom right corner? We bought those to carry our chaffing dishes. They also make a great place to stack stuff when the HD says you can't have anything food related on the ground. Thanks for the idea Big Brother Smoke!

And here are a couple of pics of the brisket I cooked:

Seven hour cook and it was still juicy when we served it.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

That is some tasty looking brisket! Good idea on going out and handing out the menus. I do like the idea of the black and yellow storage containers for the chafers, and storage. We always need to figure out where to store the sammich rolls and keep them handy. Those boxes would work great. I might hafta borrow that idea... Brilliant
Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
Bigmista

They definitely worked out for us. They also made a nice barricade on one side of our ez-up.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Brisket looks goooood. Our vending season is over 'til it warm up. What is a typical day for you? We usually do 12 butts, 12 briskets, ribs and pork steaks, etc......
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Bigmista

Not even close to that yet. We don't even have that kind of capacity. No one knows we're there just building a clientele. We cooked 1 brisket, 2 pork butts, 10lbs of chicken, 10 lbs of tri-tip, 30 chicken links and 8 racks of ribs. We had one customer actually buy 2 racks of ribs. Even the rest was overkill. Even though the crowds didn't make it over to where we are, we still made about $350. Not a large amount by any stretch but it's a good start for 4 hours of actual selling and we are getting the word out.

Gotta start somewhere.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #6
Bigmista

BTW...MrsMista sold some extra orders at her job that she is delivering tomorrow. Every little bit helps.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-07-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the exact same yellow and black containers for chafing trays. It helps in storing them also. Keep on smokin
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Bigmista

Those bins are a great help. Thanks again Steph!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Big Mista - I have an idea for you that might help sell some extra Q. Its a Deen trick. PM me when you get a chance.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
Bigmista

PM sent.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #11
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Here is another attention getting idea for you. I made poster size signs with photos of our food that we put up along the top of the EZ-Up or awning. When people are walking along and can't see signs down low because of crowds, they can see your signs overhead. I have pics of the signes I use on this page. http://www.rollinsmokebbq.com/Vending.html. The visuals can bring them in as fast as the good smells.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
Bigmista

Good idea! I like it!!! I learn so much here!

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-08-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
Marsha
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Good idea! I like it!!! I learn so much here!
I got the idea from a festival where the Thai food guy had a bunch of photos of his food over the top of his booth and I saw almost everyone stop to look. I make up the posters at home then take them to Staples to have them printed and mounted on posterboard, plus I get them laminated so they last longer. They are about $30 each, but just a few can really help.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Bigmista

I was just thinking 8X10 mounted on cardboard and laminated. Hole in the corners and string em up on the ez-up.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Old 12-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

Brisket looks really dry, but thats the norm for you isnt it.

Just kidding my friend. Looks great as usual. Glad business picked up a bit.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote