MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #91
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I've taken the class, and know Johnny somewhat. Yes he made some of what he does available via the show. Frankly I'm not pleased about watching folks here, and elsewhere try to duplicate what he does simply because they can. I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he taught people his method and gave them his ingredients. At the same time, he's still cooking, as are many of the folks that took his class. Just because something can be done, doesn't make it right. A lot of folks call him The Old Man out of respect, that he's earned, and I'm one of them.

Cooks will gossip about what somebody else may be doing like nobodies business, but it's done privately and with respect most of the time. There's a difference between that process and what I see going on here and on other forums.

Everything I posted about Johnny Trigg's cooking is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. It has been declared loudly for all to hear on radio programs and for all the see and hear on a TV program. Did you read the first post in this thread? Probably not. If you did, you didn't take the time to understand what is plainly written.

If you don't like the thread, that's fine and good. However, taking swipes at me and other people who are having fun with the thread is not.

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #92
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #93
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....
Taking swipes?

You two basically called Joe a thief. I think his response was constrained.

I too, revere Johnny Trigg. What he did for Paul demonstrated what a good man he truly is.

But I'd wager, if you suggested to Johnny that someone who watched that segment and took notes was "shigging"... he'd laugh.

I can almost hear Myron's response:

"Of course he took some damn notes. Shows he's smart."
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #94
Boshizzle

The top of the thread states that this thread is nothing more than a glimpse into how Trigg cooks BBQ. It's not substitute for his class and it certainly isn't exhaustive in content. It's just a glimpse. Most people that I know hold Trigg in high regard just as I do. If anything, this thread is a tribute to him and his contribution to BBQ.

Everything in this thread was made available to us freely through the good will and generosity of Johnny Trigg. If someone can improve their ribs from the tips that Trigg has shared, It think that's a great thing. If someone decides that honey and Tiger sauce is too sweet and won't use Parkay, that's OK too. This isn't an evangelism thread to convert anyone to sweet ribs or using margarine and foil.

As it says in at the top of the thread, it's just a glimpse into how a champion cook makes award winning BBQ.

So, can we all just agree on that?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #95
MilitantSquatter

Bohizzle - For what it's worth at this point, I'm undertstanding your perspective to a degree.

Some will have opposing views for varying reasons (ex. paid for the class, friend of instructor or some who don't think it's right to spread info that may not have been intended to be spread) and that's understandable and OK too.

You're posts have not broken any rules (here) and you are not divulging anything more than anyone else could have gathered if they wanted to. You've chosen to do your homework based on publically available info. In some ways similar to an opposing NFL football team that studies hours of game film of their competition every week trying to get an edge. The only real difference is you're sharing what you've uncovered with others that didn't.

You also noted in the last sentence of your original post " What Trigg didn’t share was his skill. If you try this and don’t have the same results Trigg has had, don’t be surprised."

Long and short of it, is that there's no right or wrong here.. only opinion.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-04-2010 at 09:32 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #96
Rick's Tropical Delight

do those ribs taste like pork? i'm just sayin

Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #97
cruzmisl
Got Wood.

You can show all the "technique" you want, I tried them with tips from this and other threads and they tasted like sh!t. Wasted a good rack of ribs. Oh well it was worth the effort but if people think you can beat Trigg by following some snaps of BBQ pitmasters you're crazy. Just my 2 cents.
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #98
Cocophone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
Only if the pig ate Parkay for the last 6 months of their life!
Cocophone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #99
Speed
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Here is an update - word is that Johnny Trigg uses this rub for his ribs. This is the mystery rub, perhaps?

He uses Head Country on his briskets.
This is what I use on my ribs, very good rub. I had to add 1tsp cayenne though just to give it a little more pop.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #100
417bullelk
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Before Paul was trained by Trigg, this is what he said he was told Trigg uses to glaze his ribs-

OK....this is clearly a staged shot. Labels aligned perfectly with Paul framed just right to fill in the rest of the frame.
Weber WSM...Finally!!
Weber Performer
Weber 18.5" Kettle and a 22.5" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum w/One Touch Mod.
Weber Smokey Joe Silver, A Charbroil Gasser, A Little Red Campfire.
417bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #101
Harmening
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

You're really reachin' here.

Boshizzle, thanks for this thread. It has been a good read.
Harmening is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #102
Jorge

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Taking swipes?

You two basically called Joe a thief. I think his response was constrained.

I too, revere Johnny Trigg. What he did for Paul demonstrated what a good man he truly is.

But I'd wager, if you suggested to Johnny that someone who watched that segment and took notes was "shigging"... he'd laugh.

I can almost hear Myron's response:

"Of course he took some damn notes. Shows he's smart."
Quote:
The top of the thread states that this thread is nothing more than a glimpse into how Trigg cooks BBQ. It's not substitute for his class and it certainly isn't exhaustive in content. It's just a glimpse. Most people that I know hold Trigg in high regard just as I do. If anything, this thread is a tribute to him and his contribution to BBQ.

Everything in this thread was made available to us freely through the good will and generosity of Johnny Trigg. If someone can improve their ribs from the tips that Trigg has shared, It think that's a great thing. If someone decides that honey and Tiger sauce is too sweet and won't use Parkay, that's OK too. This isn't an evangelism thread to convert anyone to sweet ribs or using margarine and foil.

As it says in at the top of the thread, it's just a glimpse into how a champion cook makes award winning BBQ.

So, can we all just agree on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Bohizzle - For what it's worth at this point, I'm undertstanding your perspective to a degree.

Some will have opposing views for varying reasons (ex. paid for the class, friend of instructor or some who don't think it's right to spread info that may not have been intended to be spread) and that's understandable and OK too.

You're posts have not broken any rules (here) and you are not divulging anything more than anyone else could have gathered if they wanted to. You've chosen to do your homework based on publically available info. In some ways similar to an opposing NFL football team that studies hours of game film of their competition every week trying to get an edge. The only real difference is you're sharing what you've uncovered with others that didn't.

You also noted in the last sentence of your original post " What Trigg didn’t share was his skill. If you try this and don’t have the same results Trigg has had, don’t be surprised."

Long and short of it, is that there's no right or wrong here.. only opinion.
OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #103
Boshizzle

Quote:
OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.
Mr. Shizzle is good.

BTW - The mods on this board are among the best on the Internet. I mod two boards myself (non-BBQ realted) and know that it's a tough job sometimes and takes a lot of time. I believe that Moderators have every right to participate in discussions just as any other member. The great thing about this discussion is Jorge didn't use his moderator status to squelch or end the spirited discussion. There is a time for mods to step in and I think the mods here do a great job of finding the balance. If you think they don't, you haven't spent much time on many other boards.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #104
btcg
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Jorge,

No biggie. One thing that impressed me about the brothern is the passion we all share about BBQ... and that's a good thing. That shows me that you care, and people who care sometimes go a little overboard, even mods. I don't really know you (I'm pretty new here), but anyone who quotes Frank Zappa is cool in my book, and I'd leave you with these final words of wisdom:

"Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow!"

As to the devices/techniques gleaned by watching the show, a few things come to mind:

When you watch Trigg lay down all that honey, brown sugar, and Parkay, it's important to remember other comments from the shows:

Judges like "sweet," so the use of these ingredients may just be an attempt to match a local flavor profile. And, as Myron has said, many of these judges of BBQ aren't really judges at all: they're a bunch of people who attended a lecture and were given a card that says judge. They're there to eat. That's probably why Johnny doesn't care to eat the type of BBQ he cooks for competition. So, the real lesson is this: trigg showed a little of what he did for "that" competition, not the real secrets he uses for himself.
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #105
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post

As a matter of fact, they do.