MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Lengua pron Tonybel style! Tony I have ???

Before we get to the pron, I want to share a little story. After reading this post

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=215725

I convinced myself that I had to try beef tongue. The pics were great, (nicely done Tony) everyone was sharing stories about how they loved beef tongue, etc... But I also knew that this had to be a stealth attack. My wife and kids would not even consider trying it if they knew what it was or god forbid they actually saw it!!!

So on a recent visit to RD to pick up some Comp meat, I asked about the tongue and a very helpful employee pointed me to the freezer and I found a box. Unfortunately the box (a very large box) was sealed up, I asked if I had to buy the whole case? "Yep, we only sell them by the case sir" Well, once I decide to do something, it's gonna get done....so I bought the whole case.

I pulled a couple out over the weekend to thaw in the deepest darkest corner of the fridge and last night I seasoned them with the fiesta steak seasoning and a bit of SM cow pow or whatever they call it. They went back in the fridge overnight and then on the WSM this morning at about 10:00 am. The cooker ran at between 275 & 300 for about 3 hours then wrap and back on for about another hour & 15. Done!! into the cooler for a rest while I run errands and go to P.T. conferences. I talked the wife into picking up the kids while I race home to "get dinner ready" AKA peel and chop the tongue before they get home.

Mission accomplished!!!

Everybody loved it chopped up for tacos and I only got one question about "What is it?" and I simply answered "Beef".

Unfortunately because of the stealth nature of the cook and all the racing around, I didn't get a ton of pics but here's what I have.

Seasoned up last night.

2015-11-02 15.51.02.jpg

Here they are after about 2 hours of hickory smoke

2015-11-03 11.28.35.jpg

And this is the finished product (Peeled and chopped)

2015-11-03 18.05.30.jpg

I suggest everyone give it a try, good stuff!!

I really like the "Bark" (the back portion of the tongue that doesn't need to be peeled) so my question for Tony.... have you ever peeled it first to get more bark? Would it dry out?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

Peeling it first is the eqivelent of a monkey f-ing a football IMO. It can be done but is it worth it.
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleking View Post
Peeling it first is the eqivelent of a monkey f-ing a football IMO. It can be done but is it worth it.
That would depend on whether you are the monkey or the football.
Seriously though, I have the same question because it seems to be a waste to smoke it then toss 90 % of the smoked meat surface area.
Built in Bull BBQ Gasser
Mini WSM
22.5" Weber OTS
22.5" OTG Blue
22.5 OTG
Anova Sous Vide
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-03-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Titch
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Yours looks great,Sneaky bloke that you are
I love tongue Pickled and got the go ahead to do some this way last week.( slow cooker first up )
My Asian Butcher skinned it for me in about a minute per tongue .
He grabbed the Tongue and wacked it flat about five times on his counter ,like using the tongue as a cat of tails.
He said it stretches and separate's the skin.
I tried some sliced thin as the Koreans do it , tasted awesome but was chewy.
The slow cooked tongue was sliced then mixed in a mixture of Butter and oil then grilled.
It was a big hit

Last edited by Titch; 11-04-2015 at 01:19 AM..
Titch is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #5
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

That looks hella good Troy. I'd hit that. I've also made tongue and had people make tacos with it. I told them what it was after and surprisingly no complaints other than "I don't really care because I already ate it and it was really good"
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 AM   #6
IamMadMan

I am not a fan of organ meats and have always avoided anything out of the normal. The first time I ate tongue it was served incognito as a beef roast.

It was the most tender and flavorful of any roast I have ever had. Awesome beef flavor and melt in your mouth meat. Sorry I never had the courage to try it sooner in life.

I have since used it many times in cooking since then and the flavor is always great.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 06:36 AM   #7
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Nailed it mate, looks great!

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That looks absolutely perfect! Nicely played sir! Do you plan on telling any of them later what it was? I got my wife to try a nibble last time I made it, and my younger kids loved it. My teenage daughter made the mistake of going on and on about how disgusting it is (both before and after I cooked it and showed her that it's just juicy meat from a different area) and refused to try it. Not being adventurous with "disputable" foods is permissible in our home; calling them disgusting and trying to keep other people from trying them doesn't fly. Her punishment? I snuck up on her wearing her ear buds watching a show on her tablet, and had the cow tongue lick her arm/hand. I think next time, she'll keep her colorful opinion to herself!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
CakeM1x
is One Chatty Farker

Nice stealth attack! Next time make it obvious what you are doing and if they complain just tell em you love beef tongue darling!
CakeM1x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #10
Cat797
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ed

Looks great!.......

Last time I had tongue, it was at a little Mexican place here and it was my favorite of all the different tacos I tried. Super beefy taste.
Cat797 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #11
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
That looks absolutely perfect! Nicely played sir! Do you plan on telling any of them later what it was? I got my wife to try a nibble last time I made it, and my younger kids loved it. My teenage daughter made the mistake of going on and on about how disgusting it is (both before and after I cooked it and showed her that it's just juicy meat from a different area) and refused to try it. Not being adventurous with "disputable" foods is permissible in our home; calling them disgusting and trying to keep other people from trying them doesn't fly. Her punishment? I snuck up on her wearing her ear buds watching a show on her tablet, and had the cow tongue lick her arm/hand. I think next time, she'll keep her colorful opinion to herself!
We had leftovers tonight and I didn't say anything. Probably keep it on the down-low until we try it again.

I like the cow lick (I'm guessing she didn't)

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #12
jonfromjersey
On the road to being a farker

I grew up eating sweet and sour tongue (Hungarian) and never made the connection (as a child). One day I was with my mother at the butcher when she asked for the tongue and I saw it with the skin still on! That was the moment that I realized what it was and I was a bit skeaved! I ate it anyway because it really was good.
jonfromjersey is offline   Reply With Quote