Electric or wood/charcoal

M

mcksr

I am a new member of thre brethren, and I am in the process of trying to determine what type of smoker grill I want to buy. I have looked at the water smokers (electric & charcoal/wood) and the off-set type smoakers. I need advice on which direction to go. Thanks for any help. MCKSR

That is great advice, because that is the way my "GUT FEELINGS" were headed. MCKSR

First of all remember that

STICK
BURNERS
RULE!!!

If that isn't in your budget, go with a UDS (I have one of them too)...

No electric. Build a drum. Bet you get alot of. Ditto's

DITTO!

I have a water smoker, but only paid $15 for it and another $20 to mod. If you have the capabilities, I'd DEFINITELY suggest building a UDS. It's cheaper than even the money I have in my smoker, and it'll hold a lot more meat than any cheaper smoker you can buy. I did ribs in my ECB a few weeks ago and had to cut the slabs in half to get them to fit. The UDS will accomodate a standard 22 1/2" cooking grate, depending on the design...2 or even 3 grates can be used. That'll hold LOTS of Q.

Mainly......no electric. Charcoal's KING. No brainer, IMHO.

Good luck!!!

If you are handy and have the time (and it really doesn't take much skill or time :rolleyes:) then a UDS is a great way to get started. If you would rather go turnkey then I recommend a WSM. Yeah, it is quite a bit more expensive than the water smokers, but I really think you will be happier with the results.

I think it depends on your particular situation. An electric is sort of like having a really crappy outdoor oven, but it is easier to manage than charcoal or wood. Just know that you will be made fun of mercilessly by those who prefer the latter.

The cheapest way to go would be the self-build UDS. If you have the skills and time to do it, you will not regret the decision.
I am not much of a DIY guy, so I personally like the Weber Smokey Mountain water smokers. Though the do cost more than a UDS, They are relatively inexpensive compared to most other quality smokers, and turn out some great quality meat. If you go with a bullet type smoke, only use Weber. It really is worth the extra money.

If money is not as much of an issue, there is the offset type. You can get these in just about any style and look you can imagine. These are the "quintessential" smokers, and are still what is mostly seen around competitions. I don't have one, so I can't speak about it with any great authority, but people who have them really seem to love them. Be careful about what brand you go with though...these things are not all created equal!

I think the real question you should ask your self is not which smoker you should get, but which smoker you should get FIRST! I guarantee you that once you get one, you will want more...and more...and more. Eventually your deck will look like some sort of weird droid junykard.

Good Luck!

Ignore these cavemen and just take the leap and get the best, buy a Big Green Egg and you will never go back!!!:biggrin:

Drum smoker. So simple even a caveman can build one. :tongue:

I think it depends on your particular situation. An electric is sort of like having a really crappy outdoor oven, but it is easier to manage than charcoal or wood. Just know that you will be made fun of mercilessly by those who prefer the latter.
Yes, this is a VERY true statement. But if you live in an apartment, you may have no other option... In that case we would give you special dispensation....

The cheapest way to go would be the self-build UDS. If you have the skills and time to do it, you will not regret the decision.
Again, I agree. This is the most inexpensive and yet one of the most stable cookers you are going to find. She ain't purty, but she sure can cook!

I am not much of a DIY guy, so I personally like the Weber Smokey Mountain water smokers. Though the do cost more than a UDS, They are relatively inexpensive compared to most other quality smokers, and turn out some great quality meat. If you go with a bullet type smoke, only use Weber. It really is worth the extra money.
It really doesn't take all that much skill to build the UDS. Just read the thread (the WHOLE thread) and then ask any questions you may have..

As for the WSM, it too is a good stable smoker but more expensive and I'm not sure if it would hold all that much more than a UDS with a dome lid.

If money is not as much of an issue, there is the offset type. You can get these in just about any style and look you can imagine. These are the "quintessential" smokers, and are still what is mostly seen around competitions. I don't have one, so I can't speak about it with any great authority, but people who have them really seem to love them. Be careful about what brand you go with though...these things are not all created equal!
Excellent warning... You do get what you pay for so I recommend that you look over the modifications that others have done to make each one work. Remember, the more expensive the fewer modifications you are going to need... Again, don't be afraid to ask questions here... There is a TON of experience just waiting to help you out.

I think the real question you should ask your self is not which smoker you should get, but which smoker you should get FIRST! I guarantee you that once you get one, you will want more...and more...and more. Eventually your deck will look like some sort of weird droid junkyard.
Very well put!

Ignore these cavemen and just take the leap and get the best, buy a Big Green Egg and you will never go back!!!:biggrin:

Again, a very stable cooker but also very expensive. On the good side, they have a FARKING FANTASTIC customer service department and warrenty...

Drum smoker. So simple even a caveman can build one. :tongue:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Almost EVERY cooker has been discussed here at one time or another so I would say that the "Search" function is one of your nest tools!

You said you were looking for a smoker/grill so you should make a list of what your priorities are, as everything is a compromise.
Think about:
What do you want to cook and how much you may cook at any given time.
Is babysitting the cooker (feeding it & controlling temp) during long cooks something that you would find to be fun or not.
Is fuel available in your area and cost of use.
Do you want to cook year round.
What is your weather like.
Is space an issue

Well you get the picture...

An electric is sort of like having a really crappy outdoor oven, but it is easier to manage than charcoal or wood.
There ARE well built insulated electric smokers that many people own and use everyday.

Focus on what is important and then search and ask questions.

They all will cook low and slow with smoke you just need to find the best compromise for your needs..

I can not tell you how much I appreciate your advice. I am leaning toward the Weber Smoky Mountain, but really like the Egg (expensive, but good quality). In the future, if I really get good at this I will consider building the UDS. I can weld and have the tools. I need to take first things first. I will let you know how it turns out and what my first feast was. I have a really nice second home in North Georgia where I plan to be doing a lot of smokin and learning new recipes from the Brethren. MCKSR

I can not tell you how much I appreciate your advice. I am leaning toward the Weber Smoky Mountain, but really like the Egg (expensive, but good quality). In the future, if I really get good at this I will consider building the UDS. I can weld and have the tools. I need to take first things first. I will let you know how it turns out and what my first feast was. I have a really nice second home in North Georgia where I plan to be doing a lot of smokin and learning new recipes from the Brethren. MCKSR
Don't get me wrong, I love my BGE... But for 15% of the cost you could build this Less than 3.5 hours and trust me, it's just as easy to use as the BGE....

Back