Don't you just hate newbies?

G

GS36710

Hope not.

Actually I am not entirely new to the subject, just new to this site. My Bandara is on it's way having ordered it direct from Charbroil earlier this week. I couldn't locate one here in the Tampa area from the normal outlets and they put me in touch with the Charbroil direct people. Same price as HD in Texas where I should have bought it before we moved last year. At least this way it is delivered right to the door. Shipping was less than the sales tax would have been.

Is this site intended to replace the Yahoo group site? I hope so because I like this format a lot better.

So what do I do first when this thing arrives? Is there some old files over in the Yahoo site which will tell me how to get started correctly (assuming that the experiences of others is better than the info which will come with the unit)? Which of the modifications should be done immediately, if any? What else should I know?

Looking forward to learning from all of you and producing better food than I have in the paast on my grill and my gas fired Brinkman that finally died.

GS

GS... welcome to the group... congratz on your new purchase!... to answer your questions...

Is this site intended to replace the Yahoo group site?
YES

So what do I do first when this thing arrives?
Unpack it? And if you so desire... assemble it... maybe drink a beer or 2...

Is there some old files over in the Yahoo site which will tell me how to get started correctly (assuming that the experiences of others is better than the info which will come with the unit)?
we are in the process of moving over content that is helpful from the yahoo! site... basically when you get it assembled and modified (see below) you will want to pick something relatively easy to cook, say a pork butt or chicken to get yourself started... I would personally recommend a book called Smoke and Spice you can find it at www.amazon.com or in your local book stores...

Which of the modifications should be done immediately, if any?
There is much debate on this topic... however it is safe to say you should do the "Baffle" mod and the expanded metal in the firebox mods first... information on those can be found in the files section on this site (maybe not yet but soon) if not in the photos section on the Yahoo site... or search the yahoo site for baffles and expanded metal mods... they are both pretty simple modifications that make your cooking experience much MUCH better...

What else should I know?
um... that I am the king of the universe? and that phil is the Man for putting this cool site together :) oh and dont use pine to smoke with :)

good luck and happy smoking!

COLT

Check out Bandera 101 in the files section very helpful. Do you plan on usiong Palm or cypress trees for smoking wood ? :mrgreen:

Welcome and we do get crazy once in awhile.

Brian

First of all, welcome to Bandera and to CFL from another
tronsplant from the West.

Well, the first thing y'all got to do is get a couple cases
of beer - even Lonestar will work for this. JD Black is also
quiet acceptable. This is for your buddies to help you with
step two, which is -

Assembly. Apply beer and/or JD to you and your buddies - you
can assemble it yourself, but you'll appreciate some help,
especially if you got a headstart on the beer. Once you have
to move this turkey by yourself, you'll understand why you
didn't buy it in Tayjas and drag it to Tampa. Check the
fit and finish - I've seen at least one post where the grill
tabs in the smoke box were mounted at different heights,
causing the grills to wobble - but by now, you may be wobbly
yourself.

Seasoning - basically, coat everything on the interior, grills
rib-racks etc. with some veggie oil and light the firebox up
with a smallish fire. Some heathens have been known to just
spray Pam all over everything, but the purists pretty much use
triple-distilled sunflower oil and q-tips to apply. Run it
up to arount 200-225 and give it a couple of hours - at this
point opinions differ, but I like to bump the temp up another
50 degrees or so and let it burn for another couple of hours.

You also need to get a really quiet chainsaw - you'll be
cutting down your neighbors oak and citrus trees (both
plentiful in your area) in the middle of the night, and
you don't want to wake them. Trust me, they won't understand
your never-ending quest for fuel.

Get your old lady a hobby. You'll be sleeping beside the
Bandera in your quest for perfect brisket, so she will
only see you when your smoke-darkened figure enters from
the patio door with another platter, muttering about the
latest rub you tried.

Post lots - Move the computer out to the patio and post
your rib temps every half hour. Face it, you would have
been better off just getting hooked on crack - it's less
addictive and time consuming, but now that you've taken
the first step down that long and slippery slope, the
best you can hope far is the support of your Brethren -
and some damn tasty Q.

Cheers,

PJ

Thanks for the reception and replies. I have begun the task of printing some of the files so they can be read on the patio while enjoying a few cold ones.

Don't think I'll be using any cypress or palm wood for cooking. I do have a large pile of orange trees that I pushed over while clearing the property last year. Rather than 1 big fall bonfire, it looks like I may want to cut a supply of small logs for use in the Bandara. Got to find a source for lump charcoal as well.

I, too, have found that beer is an essential tool in any project attempted at home. Try to never be short of supplies of beer when a new toy arrives such as the Bandara. I'll have to shop around to find Schafer though. Haven't seen any of that since I was growing up in Jersey. Dad drank it.

Got a wireless card fgor the laptop for those all night cookouts so I am ahead of the game there I think. Got a TV out on the patio as well so it looks like I am well positioned to go forward.

Thanks again for the replies. Looking forward to this;

GS

Welcome from another Floridian

We're finally getting a few Floridians on the forum. Congrats on the Bandera -- Wally World in Clearwater has a couple but it shipping was OK you did alright.

I haven't tried citrus wood yet -- one of these days. I tend to use Kingford and oak from my trees.

Oh, yeah, I live in Clearwater. Maybe we'll get enough guys going in the state and can have our own get together or competition team -- hey, dream big!!

Welcome to the group.

David

Good to see a local. I am looking forward to being able to put something on the table that resembles the pictures I have seen here. Competition cooking will have to wait.

I am thinking that with a lot of BUCS games scheduled for 4pm and night games I will have plenty of time to do slow cooking. Of course there is also Sat. with all the college games...FSU, UF, USF... there is pleanty of time to cook also since I will be parked in front of the TV anyway.

Not sure about the citrus wood either. Maybe I'll post the question to see if there is any experience with it out there.

GS

I use citrus - I'm about to the end of a neighbor's orange tree now (no,
I did NOT cut it down in the middle of the night - they took it out themselves
for a pool) it's great. I especially like it with poultry and seafood, but
it ain't bad with pork, either. Something about my Lone Star ancestry
though just craves at least a little mesquite with beef.

If you live in SoCal, Southern Texas or Florida, you really should try
a few sticks of citrus - if you don't believe me, check the wood faq.

Cheers,

PJ

Thanks. Good to know I have an almost endless supply of one type of wood. I have 15 more acres to clear and there are some trees on all of it that will be coming down. They are off shoots from the roots of trees which died in a freeze years back so they don't produced real sweet fruit. No sense in letting the wood go to waste though.

GS

Thanks for the word on citrus wood

I'd read an article recently talking about using citrus wood for it's special scent -- and I think it agreed with you analysis about chicken and pork.

I grew up in Polk County (Bartow to be exact) and lived in and around citrus all my life -- we didn't burn it because it's so "punky" -- however that just means it's no good in the fireplace.

Definately have to try some now.

David

Allyou guys in Florida have badge shorts black socks and sandals ? :mrgreen:

Gawd I'm a ass.

Mr. Rice

brd1958 said:
Allyou guys in Florida have badge shorts black socks and sandals ? :mrgreen:

Gawd I'm a ass.

Mr. Rice

Hey, I resemble that remark! Actually, now that you mention it,
where are my damn socks?

PJ

Hey Brian

That's board shorts and white socks! :D balloon knot!

Anyone outside of FL fails to realize that the perception left from TV and especially the past presidential election is incorrect. Perpetrators of the election deal, 99.5 percent of the drivers, the bermuda shorts-black socks-glaucoma sunglasses, are Yankees who move here from wherever the hell you are.

Favorite bumper stickers for FL natives are:

(1) If it's tourist season why can't we shoot them?

(2) When I get old I'm going to move up north and drive SLOW

(3) I don't care how you did it up north

Get the picture. FL natives are hardworking, law abiding (sometimes), inbred, FL cracker, rednecks that can suck the money out of your wallet without you feeling a thing -- why do you think the Mouse build his world here?? :p :p

So how many Shuffle board sticks do you own ? Or are they all cut up for smoking wood cause some Yankee whipped your ass ? :mrgreen:

Gots to get me a more approriate avitar !

OK Balloon knot!

You are apparently better informed than most balloon knot Yankees and understand that some types of shuffleboard area played with sticks and large pucks - unlike the bar game with a hardwood table and stainless steel pucks :) . However, the shuffleboard sticks you are apparently alluding to are ALUMINUM and hence may not be suitable for smoking edibles.

Whatz with the black sox/sandles crack? Hell, I don't think you can even BUY sox in Florida. This must be some sort of beach wear for Northerners who go once each year to try and get rid of their pasty white skin color.

Didn't I read over in the YAHOO forum that you northerers only grill at night so you don't have to feel the sun? :lol:

GS

Currently 105 with a heat index of 116, no desire to feel the sun.

Thank You

Damn....I though it was hot over here in GA.....its humid as hell.

Here at the house when the cook goes into dark, the damn light attracts so many itchy goomie bugs I leave it off & just use a farking flashlight!! :shock:

At least it's a "dry heat"

Oh sure it is. I lived in San Antonio for 9 years and have extended family in the Dallas area. I'm real familiar with August in Texas.

Stay cool.

Back