BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
OK Folks!
Welcome to the
BBQ Brethren Exclusive
Dr. BBQ Real Deal Cooking Class
We are locked in and full up with 25 attendees.

The Roster.
2 Fat pollacks Team 4, MilitantSquatter 1, Bigbarry 1, BBQesq 2, Cues your daddy 2, Kirk 2, Muzzlebrake 1, BBQMafia 2, Sledneck 1, DJmarko 1, Westexbbq 1, Parrothead 2, WillyB 2, CtSmokehouse 1, Wannabqueen 1, Porky 1

The class will be at:

S.E.A Building (Grillkings)
1230 Hempstead Turnpike Franklin Square, NY 11010
Saturday March 31 and April 1.

I will be arriving around 11-12 to set up. Class starts at around 3. Arrive early to get settled, get acquainted, and have some fun before we get down to business.

Bring whatever you think you may need for a class. We will supply rubs, sauces, trays, foil, bags, turning boxes, paper goods, etc..

You bring knives, cutting boards and other supplies you think you may need. A table for yourself would be helpful. Bring CHAIRS FOR YOUR BUTTS.

The venue is an office building, we have the cafeteria area to stay warm, bathrooms, water, etc.. but will be cooking in the parking lot. I am not sure if Doc will prefer to teach inside, or outside under the tent. I think weather and temps will dictate that.

I will have a couple 10x20 walled tents(heated). We will have 2 Lang 84's, a couple of Spicewine, a Klose BYC and MOAB(my Klose vertical). Anyone who wants to bring their own pit is encouraged to do so.

I will be cooking dinner for Saturday Night.. (Probably Italian)

Breakfast will be our own BBQ, Biscuits/Bagels and Coffee.

You can bring your own meats, or we will order them for you.

You can cook all 4 categories or just the ones you want.

If you want us to supply the meats, it will be purchased thru Willy B's BBQ Restaurant and passed on to you at cost.

For tracking, please post in this thread your exact meat orders, even if your bringing your own, post something to that effect.

Looking forward to it Phil. One question: In order to get the full hands-on benefit from the class, can or should each attendee (such as myself and my partner) bring/order meat for themselves, i.e. 2 briskets for us, 2 butts, etc...? Would we have room to cook that much meat?

I dont believe room will be a problem, especially if more of the locals bring their pits.

i would think that everone would cook their own stuff, but that is entirely up to you guys. Its one of the reasons we did BYOM. That way, if you just want to do one or 2 you can, and dont have to go thru the expense of all the extra meats.

When do you expect the class to be over on Sunday, my teammate needs to catch a flight home so we are trying to plan a time for that.

I believe doc said early afternoon.

I would like Willy to supply me with whatever meat is required in all categories. Thanks!

I will be bringing two WSMs and will probably not need shared space (thanks, though for the offers!)

I must have been sleeping when this was being discussed :icon_blush:

Hey Phil -

Do you ever foresee one of these classes coming to the Southeast for us North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and/or Florida brethren?

BigBarry said:
I would like Willy to supply me with whatever meat is required in all categories. Thanks!

Same here please!

I will need cooker space please!

Can't wait!!!

Thanks.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Any idea what the prices would be like from Willy B's? I really appreciate that the wholesale price is being offered to us but I was wondering what wholesale NYC prices are like compared to what I pay around here. A PM would be fine. Thanks.

Kirk,

The price of beef is not a constant. If you are concerned, buy it yourself locally. It will prevent hard feelings.

yeah, prices change from week to week. It would be to early to answer anyway. Ive seen brisket from $1.09 to 1.89 a week apart. Also, Willy will most likely not know until the day he orders.

I think Willie and I both use Majestic meats in Patchogue.
I'll check with Mr. B and see.
I will appreciate using some space in someone's pit, please.
Thanks for the update Phil, looking forward to this big time.

I will cook all 4 categories and will purchase from Will. I'd love to bring my Klose pit but there's not much room in my Saturn!!

I can't wait for the class.

We will bring our meat.

Sawdustguy said:
Kirk,
The price of beef is not a constant. If you are concerned, buy it yourself locally. It will prevent hard feelings.
I just wanted a ballpark figure, not a guarantee. I'm not concerned Guy, just cheap. :wink:
I'm used to paying from 2.29 to 2.99 a lb for a packer (and 3.99 or more for flats) around here and I always assume things will be higher in NY, but I don't have a wholesale connection either. We usually pay about 1.89 for butts, 2.29 for spares and .84 for thighs at Sam's too. I have to ask my partner what he wants to do and I figured he might ask what the prices would be like from Willy's.

My partner Jim and I will both be doing all 4 categories and we'd like to order from Willy's.
We're also going to need a pit to cook on. Do you guys need any extra lump charcoal or anything?

yeah, bring some fuel for the langs.. I'll be picking up some Royal Oak too, and sawdust is bringing logs.

Just a reminder ....Ray posted this in the original class post...

I'll be cooking a large packer cut brisket, a big pork butt, a slab of big spare ribs and 9 thighs. If it were my normal class that's what you would all get so that's what I'd recommend you buy for this.

MilitantSquatter said:
Just a reminder ....Ray posted this in the original class post...

I'll be cooking a large packer cut brisket, a big pork butt, a slab of big spare ribs and 9 thighs. If it were my normal class that's what you would all get so that's what I'd recommend you buy for this.
Thanks Vinny :)

Will Please add my name to your meat order and I'll take the suggested Ray Special :)

Can't wait, I need to use someones' smoker if that's ok, I would like to bring fuel as well is Royal Oak the preferred?

Back