MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #46
jacksedona
Take a breath!

if you use a weber charcoal smoker like me you really dont need a temperature controller unless you live in a cold climate-then i recommend the maverick thermometer,its important to protect your smoker from wind-it will drop the temperature something terrible

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Old 03-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #47
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a Guru for long cooks on my BGE. Best to put it on after the fire is established but at least 50° before target temp. Be sure to close the slide 2/3 - 3/4 the way or the Egg will pull enough air to keep the temp. rising even though the fan is not running. When using a controller, it should provide all the air. I generally don't use mine if I plan to be around the deck area but will use it if I have to run errands (or nap) while smoking.

Almost forgot... Close the "daisy wheel" until the vents are open only a sliver... The Guru will force the smoke out and keeping them nearly closed minimizes "drafting".

Last edited by shirknwrk; 03-15-2013 at 10:31 AM..
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #48
johnbia
Found some matches.

I use the BBQGuru Party Q. It's battery operated and works great for overnight cooks on my kamado. I wanted battery operated so I can use it on my weber kettle when i go camping. Very easy to use and works great.
johnbia is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #49
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I have a Visions Kamado and so far it maintains very accurate temps with the vent adjustments. It will hold steady at 225 degrees all day. I am using oak slabs cut with my sawzall from about a 6" diameter branch. Just recently bought a Oregon Scientific remote thermometer and love it. Bass Pro Shops $ 39.99 That's as techie as I can get.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #50
BigHatBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I thought the whole reason people were buying the Foreign Imported Big Green Toilet is because you didn't have to work at controlling the temps ?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #51
huntin smoke
On the road to being a farker

I have the Golden Lion from for long over night smokes. I like the Wick so I can leave if I need to. I have had Burt's on the smoker for 20 hours and I cant just sit at the house all day. I like having it so I can check my meet temp any time.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #52
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Love my stoker

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #53
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Never had a grease fire in my smoker and anyone who says they sit by their pit for 16 hours while butts are cooking is FOS.

I have a guru DigiQ and I love it for overnight cooks. I use it on my 22.5 WSM when I smoke butts or whole hams. Temp holds at 235 all night. I just purchased a LBGE last month and it seems to hold temps very well but if I do an overnight cook in it I will use the DigiQ on it as well.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #54
muskyjohn
Found some matches.

I use the BBQ Guru Digi Que DX with our LBGE. Absolutely love it for overnight cooks, works great!!!
muskyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2013, 12:47 AM   #55
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

Default What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers?

I love my stoker, but gotta run home real quick I think I left an unattended flame going in my water heater! :)
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #56
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I use a IQ110 on my UDS. I sleep like a baby with my ET732 watching the temps.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #57
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHatBBQ View Post
I thought the whole reason people were buying the Foreign Imported Big Green Toilet is because you didn't have to work at controlling the temps ?
It's ok. You can let it go now. They can't hurt you anymore.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #58
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

I bought an IQUE110 after I got my 18.5 WSM and had some problems keeping things on an even keel. Now I have a 22.5 WSM and I only use the controller for extended overnight cooks. Works like a charm most of the time. Don't bother with anything on my big offset. It takes too much minding and refueling to leave it alone for more than an hour, anyway. The WSM pretty much stays where it lands, usually around 275 which is pretty much what I want, anyway. With the IQUE I can set it at 225 up to 300.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #59
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Default Re: What does everyone use for a temp controller on your smokers?

I cook hot H&F....

What's an overnight cook?

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #60
chrisjen
Got Wood.

I have a digiQ2 on my wsm and you can't beat it for all night brisket if you like to get a little sleep or an all day butt while your at work ramp feature lets it mellow out so you don't overcook while your at work