MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Let's trim the fat in sammies

I know this topic has been mentioned before, and there are a lot of fat lovers out there who like all the flabby bits on their brisket. However, I just want to add that many people do not appreciate these surprises and those who own restaurants and preparing food might consider this. On many occasions, I've run into an unpleasant fatbomb in a sammie, but I mention this because I recently had a chance to visit one of my favorite BBQ joints. They make the best Ruben I've ever had:

and some darn nice sides:

Unfortunately, when my wife took a bite of her Ruben, she got a big chunk of fat and ended up spitting it out. She said the previous sandwich she'd gotten also had a lot of fatty bits in it and she had to open it up and trim it before eating, so it is just the way it's done there. Unfortunately, on our way back in the area, just the thought of going back made her gag and we had to drive on by -- I should add that my wife is not a novice to BBQ or food.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Smokeat
is one Smokin' Farker

Tell your wife to get with the program! Embrace the fat. That sandwich looks great, it looks like squash blossoms instead of sauerkraut!
Smokeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was going to ask, who are you and what did you do with the real Gore?

I agree, sandwiches need to be properly prepared, and I don't like large fat globs in my sanwiches either. I prefer then chopped up and fried into cracklins first.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post

-- I should add that my wife is not a novice to BBQ...
Well, that certainly used to be true, but it's been so long now...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 08-23-2013 at 12:31 PM..
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
cameraman
Babbling Farker

NYC delis offer to trim pastrami and corned beef for a leaner sandwich. Never hurts to ask.
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp[/COLOR]
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Are you calling us fat?

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Pardon my ignorance... but what are the things between the rib pic and the onion ring pic?

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Fat's where it's at!!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

How do you know the name of one of my cats? Granted she's put on some weight since she decided to become an indoor cat but I wouldn't call her fat...

Oh...

Yeah, I have to agree. Those surprises are nasty. However, I can understand how it happens especially when I am making something that uses a chuck roast. I try to be careful but sometimes I get a surprise in my vegetable soup and beef and noodles.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Al Czervik

Name/Nickname : Scott/Mongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Are you calling us fat?
I think he was Jason... Maybe he's trying to get back at you for calling him fat.

In any case, I know what you are saying here Gore. Nothing worse than biting into that unseen gooey glob. Another pet peeve is biting into a Reuben with meat so tough it pulls out of the sammie before biting through.
(='.'=) Avatar by Chalupa
(")_(")
Al Czervik is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I was going to ask, who are you and what did you do with the real Gore?

I agree, sandwiches need to be properly prepared, and I don't like large fat globs in my sanwiches either. I prefer then chopped up and fried into cracklins first.
Yes! I know many on this forum love fat, but if you don't, it can really be a turn off to take a bite of sandwich and discover you've got a half-inch blob of blubber in your mouth. I know people who don't like BBQ simply because they have gotten these surprises. It seems like good business sense would suggest not alienating the customer base. If you've got a good product (like what is pictured above), you simply don't need large blobs of fat, even if you like them. Of course, the entrepreneur should jump at this and start marketing a new condiment for fat lovers to go with the mustard and relish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Well, that certainly used to be true, but it's been so long now...
Come to think of it, you might be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
NYC delis offer to trim pastrami and corned beef for a leaner sandwich. Never hurts to ask.
This is an excellent idea, and if I can talk my wife into going back, I will definitely ask for the sammie well-trimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Are you calling us fat?
Why, ... yes, as a matter of fact, I am. How did you see through this clever ruse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry The Toad View Post
Pardon my ignorance... but what are the things between the rib pic and the onion ring pic?
Those are hush puppies. These were made with jalapenos. I prefer the sweeter variety, but these were exceptional.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #12
Bludawg

I guess Jack Spratt must be you BIL IMO lean meat is tasteless meat,I serve it fat on those who enjoy it should not have to go with out.
If you want it trimmed make it known when you place your order if you don't speak up then remove it yourself.