• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket Issue Need Feedback

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
At our last contest (Sam's Club Medford NY), our Brisket turned out strange and I can't put my finger on the problem.
Before going on the cooker, the Brisket was injected with Butcher's Injection and allowed to rest for a few hours. We then applied
our usual rub and again let it rest a while before going on the smoker. We cook on a Lang 84 at 250 Degrees. The brisket cooked for several hours
using all cherry wood until we wrapped the meat when it reached and internal temperature of 170 degrees. After wrapping in foil, we switch to Kingsford
charcoal as the heat source.
When we took the Brisket out of the cooker we let it rest until we were ready to turn it in. After slicing the brisket we saw that it had no smoke ring at all and the meat, although good,
tasted and looked like Pot Roast.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Of all the Briskets I've cooked, I don't recall this ever being a issue and I certainly don't want it to happen
again, especially at a competition. Do you guys have any idea what happen. Has it ever happened to you.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

Was this your standard process or did you change anything, no matter how small??

TIM

^^^^^^
Yes, we wiped off the excess injection.

Nothing was changed from our standard pratice.
I'm really scratching my head on this one.

If nothing changed, I guess it is one of "life's little mysteries" 8)

I have had that happen in the past, but normally I changed something, like the wood type or amount.

Wish I could help.

Good Luck on figuring it out.

TIM

Did you use a garbage bag to wrap your brisket in after injecting or to marinate in? If so was it a sented garbage bag? If so I have been told they can give an odd taste to meats.

sometimes you get a brisket, that while not technically bad, is off...sometimes like a liver flavor sometimes just not "brisket like" unless it happens again I would chalk it up to sub par meat

If nothing changed, I guess it is one of "life's little mysteries" 8)

I have had that happen in the past, but normally I changed something, like the wood type or amount.

Wish I could help.

Good Luck on figuring it out.

TIM

Usually when something goes wrong for me it's because I missed one of my marks or just was not focused. If you stuck with your regular cook method, then it might be the product itself? Like The_Kapn stated , one of lifes little mysteries.

When we judged, we often were presented brisket that tasted like pot roast. Our initial thought was someone used too much injection.

wallace

Usually when I lose a smoke ring on a brisket, it's because I had too much liquid in the foil. Causes the meat to braise more than cook the way I want it, and may be a reason it tasted like pot roast.

I just did a brisket the other day and had the same results. I used phosphates in my injection for the first time and I'm blaming it on that. It was very salty also

how long was the rest? how did you let it rest? did you ventilate it first to stop the cooking process? if i had to say, the rest was the issue.

Where did you get your brisket, and what grade was it?

Our Brisket came from SRF and was of high grade.

how long was the rest? how did you let it rest? did you ventilate it first to stop the cooking process? if i had to say, the rest was the issue.

The brisket rested a few hours before going on the cooker.
We didn't vetilate to stop cooking. Texture and tenderness was not an issue. It was the taste and look that was the issue.

I'm thinking it was the injection that caused the issue. This is why I'm confused as we have used the same injection before with the exact same process and didn't have an issue.

Oh well, I guess I will have to see what happen next time.

Did you mix the Butchers with water? If so, was it spring water? I've had "strange" results with non-spring water injection mixes... My SRF brisket at Frederick, MD must have come from the same cow as yours...

Just thinking out loud here, but could there have been too much injection fluid that prevented it from getting a smoke ring?

wallace

I had almost the same thing happen....after injecting I realized I forgot large ziplocs so i used foil.....one the worst briskets I ever cooked.

Phil,

It sounds to me that you may have wrapped the brisket too early, hence no smoke ring and little smoke flavor. Because of this it sounds like the brisket spent too much time braising in the foil without the smoke flavor giving you something that tasted like pot roast.

Are you sure when you checked the temperature for 170 that you probed the flat? Maybe you accidentally probed the point?

To the poster who blamed his pot roast tasting brisket on phosphates, "phosphates are tasteless", I highly doubt that had anything to do with it.

I've had that problem when I wrap things loosely, it seems to just steam out the flavor I spent that time putting into the meat.

If you're confident you nailed your process and it sounds like you are, just double check your steps as you go along next time and toss this one into the "WTF" file.

Could it be that you used the same amount of injection in a smaller brisket? I have messed up and done this and it resulted in the meat tasting overly salty and a bit like pot roast.

Back