MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Bama Q
On the road to being a farker

Default Lang 48 verses Lang 48 Deluxe???

Lang 48 verses Lang 48 Deluxe???

Can't make up my mind, the only difference that I can see is the holding box. About $500.00 dollars more. Pricey for for a small holding box. I like using a holding box. Has any body used or around a lang 48 deluxe. Is this box usable or just show?? I would like to use it for Comp.
Thanks
Big Jim
Bama Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
bbq ron
is one Smokin' Farker

i have a 60 deluxe, and never use the holding box. tried it once and over cooked everything, gets to hot
gosm
bbq ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #3
FourEyes45
Knows what a fatty is.

I have the 60 D and use the Warmer often...can not use the bottom rack...only crack the damper a little, I can cook 6 more butts by doing so.
FourEyes45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #4
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Upgraded from the 48 Patio to the 60 mobile (both without the warmer).

Here's an option;
Bought 2 Carlisle food carriers ($195 a piece)... plus 5 full hotel trays... about $500 total.
During a cook, place a hotel tray on the top of the firebox... filling halfway with water.
Ten minutes later, transfer the tray of (now) simmering water to the food carrier to pre-heat.

For nearly the same price... you now have a transportable, portable option.
Also have seen folks pre-heat their sticks in the Lang warmer... catching on fire, too.

[Bought the 48 intending to do comps... the 60 does it better... alot better.]

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD

Last edited by BBQ Bandit; 06-11-2011 at 08:36 AM..
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
jazzer
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Steve

I have a 48D and can get temps between 150-230 in the warmer. Not a lot of room (2 racks) but I've done ABTs and moinks in there.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

So the warming racks is pretty much a waste because of temps getting too high in there? No way to adjust it?

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
TheMidnightSmoker

Heres another thought. I have read where the paint has peeled away from the top of the firebox on the Langs without the warming box. This is cosmetic but for me I would not be real happy with it. Probably not an issue if you have the warming box sitting on top of the firebox.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Here is another opinion...check Craigslist for a good used Lang or the for sale section here....You might end up with a better smoker for a few less clams....
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Default Same question

I am considering the 48 Deluxe for competitions. The thought was that I could start briskets and shoulders in the main box, than foil and transfer them to the warmer to finish thus making room for the ribs and chicken in the main box.

Am in wrong in thinking the warmer box can also be used for cooking? Thanks.
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I have an old 1160DX, which as best I can tell is somewhere between the current 60 and 84 Deluxe's. I use it early in the cooks to warm the wood. Careful, it gets VERY hot in there, hot enough to create a fire (been there; done that; thankfully no tattoo). When I set temperature gauges in there it ranges from about 175 to 210, give or take, except on the very bottom (or top of the fire box). It's a little hotter there, I'm certain. I haven't had the opportunity, yet, but I imagine it's a great place to put a pan of beans, etc. to slow warm/cook 'em.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

Consider another smoker, the workmanship on Lang's leaves a lot to be desired...Many other pits are built better. imho

Old 06-28-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by got14u View Post
Consider another smoker, the workmanship on Lang's leaves a lot to be desired...Many other pits are built better. imho

Don't take this as a flame but can you name a few that are better and in the same approximate price range? I'm open to other options. Also, have you ever cooked with a Lang?

I'm asking because a friend of mine won Grand Champion of the Safeway BBQ Battle in DC this weekend using a Lang 60. Myron and the Old South team came in fourth.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
Big Sexy

I have a Lang 84D; I use the warming box often.

I'm not sure if it's b/c the 84 has a larger box than the 48 & 60, but between the butterfly vents on the top & the main smoke chute on the bottom, I'm able to accuretly play with the temp between 140-220 (that's according to the built in temp gauge on the top portion of the warming box door)
Big Sexy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
got14u
is one Smokin' Farker

I get this everytime, everyone thinks langs are SOOOO great, but they don;t know what they are looking at in terms of welds and workmanship. The design is great and has been proven over and over again. However if I am dropping 1600 bones on a 48" smoker I would like things to be put together good as well as work good. Here are some pics for you and also I have smoked on a lang here are the pics I took of it, worked good just looks like $hit. I build better smokers and am cheeper but there are many others in other parts of the country I am sure, I would have to look to find some for ya and know if you are stuck on a offset model. My humble opinion is a vertical is way more efficient. any ways here are the pics...and yes this was a lang not a clone

Sorry now back to the topic
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_connoisseur View Post
Don't take this as a flame but can you name a few that are better and in the same approximate price range? I'm open to other options. Also, have you ever cooked with a Lang?

I'm asking because a friend of mine won Grand Champion of the Safeway BBQ Battle in DC this weekend using a Lang 60. Myron and the Old South team came in fourth.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Never seen a Lang look like that, that is horrible. What do you make? Got a website? I have no problem supporting a small business looking to make a name for themselves.

Tags
Lang 48, Lang 48 Deluxe