Deer Summer Sausage

Chef Country

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey all I just got done stuffing my sausage :wink: Its on the smoker as I type this. I didn't get any pictures of the grinding and mixing up of the spices its kind of a messy job but here is the recipe I have been using for a few years now.
Spicy Deer Summer Sausage Recipe
This recipe for summer sausage can be baked in the trusty oven or cooked in the meat smoker. Either way, the temperature is kept low, which gives the sausage a superior texture. Here's the ingredient list and recipe...
• 3 pounds ground venison
• 2 pounds ground pork
• 1/2 cup water
• 3 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick
• 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
• 2 tablespoons mustard seed
• 2 teaspoons coarse ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons onion powder
• 1 teaspoons garlic powder
Mix all ingredients together well, cover and refrigerate for three days. Re-mix twice daily. Stuff into fibrous sausage casings, or hand form into rolls.
If cooking in the smoker, maintain a temperature of 170F for six hours, or until the sausage reaches 155F internal temperature.
In the oven, set the temperature at 170F (or as close as you can get it), and bake until done. Cook the summer sausage on a broiler pan so it can drain as it cooks.

here is a few pics of the work area im using
picture.php

picture.php

here is the suffer I use, Its a Dakota Water stuffer. I love this thing it makes it a 1 man job
picture.php

The meet all mixed up
picture.php

nice job and good looking sausage as the final product.

I have seen the dakota stuffer on websites, but wasn't sure how it well worked.

CC out of woodpile AND posting recipes? :shocked:

Are you really CC? :noidea:

Seriously though - those look great - I haven't done summer sausage yet, so I'm gonna bookmark this - thanks for putting it up. Looks like you have a great setup! :thumb:

How coarse do you grind?

nice job and good looking sausage as the final product.

I have seen the dakota stuffer on websites, but wasn't sure how it well worked.

I love the dakota stuffer, no cranking it holds 9 lbs per load, and when your ready to stop just crack the outlet and close the inlet, when you hit the end close the inlet open the outlet and take the front off tilt it up and the piston will pull itself back to the other end.

CC out of woodpile AND posting recipes? :shocked:

Are you really CC? :noidea:

Seriously though - those look great - I haven't done summer sausage yet, so I'm gonna bookmark this - thanks for putting it up. Looks like you have a great setup! :thumb:

How coarse do you grind?

ya I get out of the wood pile ever now and then, and no I dont normally share my recipes but I havent really tweeked this one much other than adding a lb of pepperjack high temp cheese per 10 lbs of meet. The grind plate I use is a course #9 I chunk up all my meet prior to grind in about 1 inch cubes and I have a old hobart grinder that weights about 60 lbs
picture.php

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Nice lookin workspace man!! Soooo like I said on FB send me one farker

Sent from my fancy schmancy iPhone using Tapatalk from right outside your window.

After the smoking is all done soak in cold water for about 5 min
picture.php

Then hang again over night
picture.php

And the money shot
picture.php

Last edited:
Wow! Just wow! I really want one of those!

I like your use of fishing poles as hanging rods... I'm not a fisihing fan myself so now I know what to use the few rods I have for. :)

Seriously, I farking want one of those sausages!!

AWESOME!!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe & process!!! :thumb:

Quick ??? When you "hang again over night". What is the room temp during this step?

Back