• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pastrami Questions

Tatoosh

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I want to try making pastrami pretty soon. So right now I'm looking at brisket, a dry cure, then smoking. I know that corned beef is often done with a brine, but I prefer to use a dry cure if possible. However I'd like to end up with those nice thin slices you see piled up in photos of deli pastrami sandwiches, not chunks of meats.

I am concerned with what wood to use. I almost always smoke with hickory, but some folks find it a bit much. I have some shredded cherry and some apple chips available as well. Would one or both of those be a better choice for smoking?

Any pastrami experience out there folks are willing to share?

I want to try making pastrami pretty soon. So right now I'm looking at brisket, a dry cure, then smoking. I know that corned beef is often done with a brine, but I prefer to use a dry cure if possible.

I am not saying it can't be done, but "Corned Beef" is traditionally done in a brine. It is because of the brine that the spices are able to impart the flavor into the meat.

However I'd like to end up with those nice thin slices you see piled up in photos of deli pastrami sandwiches, not chunks of meats.

I think slices vs chunks has to do with how you decide to cut the meat.

I have always sliced mine without any problems.

Pastrami is nothing more than corned beef that's been smoked. I like to corn the point of a brisket and then do a soak out after the brining process, dry rub and then smoke it. Another technique, if you have a steam pot available big enough is to smoke it for 4 to 5 hours and then steam it for a few more. It makes it very tender so even if you slice it by hand and it's a little thick, it will still melt in your mouth.

I use packaged corned beef because it is cheaper than fresh brisket. Go figger.

For sure try the apple or cherry woods but just one at a time. Either are much 'liter' then hickory.

Cool, thanks for the advice. Iammadman, I ran into a pastrami recipe that called for a dry cure roughly 6 to 7 days over at TVWBB and thought I would try that. The corned beef in a brine takes weeks and I don't want to wait that long. Bad me. If I get the right pickling spices for corned beef together, I'll think about giving the brine a try. I thought the brine was possibly responsible for the texture of the pastrami that is sliced so thin at the delis. But if I can do it with a dry cure, I'll go for that first.

This is a photo of the sort of pastrami I want, it is from Sadie Katz Deli, NOT mine:
sadiekatzdelileanpastra.jpg

CarolinaQue, by steam pot do you mean pressure cooker? I have a couple of those and can configure the brisket/pastrami to fit if necessary.

CaptnDan, along with the pride of making my own is the fact that in the little corner of the Philippines I inhabit, corned beef and pastrami are pretty much unheard of. Or at least unobtainable without a 6 hour bus ride down to Manila. Lazy me wants to avoid the 12 hours of riding up and down the mountain.

NCGuy68, do recommend one over the other? I'm guessing I will give the apple a try first. Cherry arrived in shreds while the apple is in chips. I use hickory chips most of the time so that will be fairly familiar.

I usually just get one of those corned brisket points and smoke it for a few hours until it's about 165* or so, then slice it really thin. Good stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer your questions, hickory might be a tad strong - I would go with a mellower wood like pecan, oak, apple, or cherry. You can read about my most recent pastrami cook HERE.

We used an electric rotary slicer to get nice thin slices:

DSC_1554.jpg

TDEntryShot.jpg

We also steamed the slices before we built the sandwiches. Makes a huge difference.

I know it's not what you're asking, but I did Alton Brown's corned beef for St Paddy's day this year, and it was outstanding. I bought my first smoker a few months later. Otherwise I'd have done Pastrami for sure :icon_smile_tongue:

No...I'm talking about a pot you can boil pasta or other things in that has an insert with holes in it that sits an inch or two up off of the bottom of the pot so you can steam things in it also.

I bought a corned beef brisket to break in my mini wsm this past weekend. It was on sale so I jumped. That dry cure recipe on tvwbb looks interesting though.

reuben.jpg

Like you, I did not want to purchase a pre-cured piece of brisket. I've read a LOT about the comparison between wet-aging and dry-aging. Dry aging only takes a few days. Wet-aging can take up to a month and based on several experiences - does not yield as good of a texture as the dry aging process.

I wrote an article about a dry-aged pastrami on my website: http://thepiglebowski.com/?p=48

BTW, the best way to steam it at the end is using a turkey fryer full of water. And the best way to slice it is to buy a non-commercial electric slicer (like they use in the deli) - it will cost you around $100.

Good luck!

Moose,
You are still my hero man. That sammy looks so farking good. I had one at Katz and Carnegie Deli and they were not as awesome looking as yours. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

BOT I use cheap ole packaged corned beefs that I pick up on sale after St. Paddies day. I do prefer the point to the flat..........fattier is bettier.

I like buying a nice poit of corn beef. I use pecan and apple for wood. Check out thirdeyes blg. He has a great tutorial. That is what I have used and everyone loves it. I want to get a pressure cooker and try doing that when finishing up

You can read about my most recent pastrami cook HERE. ... We also steamed the slices before we built the sandwiches. Makes a huge difference.

Thanks Moose, this looks mouth-watering, jumping up and down awesome! I can't wait to try it.

Thanks Moose, this looks mouth-watering, jumping up and down awesome! I can't wait to try it.

Sure thing! Next time I do a Pastrami, I'm going to document the whole thing and post a full tutorial. We chilled the meat in the fridge a few hours before we cut it, which made it much easier to get those nice thin deli slices. The steaming of the slices made it turn out just perfect...I'm not saying this is the best way or only way to do it, but it was comparable both in taste and texture to what I've had in the best delis.

Moose - Great looking pastrami and I love the sandwiches! I checked out your earlier thread and then followed that to Thirdeye's blog about his pastrami recipe using purchased corn beef. Very interesting, but sadly, as I mentioned, zero corned beef available here. Probably some occasionally down in Manila, but that is a hit and miss situation at best and a 12 hour road trip back and forth.

Gnaws on Pigs - Wow, nice and I utterly love that bread you made your sandwich on. Those "pomme fritz" aka French Fries look darn good too.

Stl-Rich - Thanks for that link! I love the Serious Eats website and make a number of their recipes on a regular basis. And their recipe is for a dry cure using brisket. Which is the alley I want to wander down this time. Though as I read the many posts here and a few elsewhere, I see I need to consider at least a short brine time at some point in the future. I don't mind trying different approaches. But I only have one small "spare" refrigerator and I need to have space for curing bacon too, which is a family requirement. Still, SE's approach looks promising.

NickTheGreat - Great Nick there tiger! Okay, I used to kind of be put off by Alton Brown for some reason. Over the last few years, I have had to re-evaluate my impression of him. Dang, he's done good stuff on cold smoking and now corned beef. I want to try the corned beef too. I will put his recipe into my queue of things to try. Thanks very much for pointing his approach out!

IrondeQuer - You guys are killing me with the bread here! And the swiss cheese. Heh heh! I put that on a sandwich and my family will have cardiac arrest. Their tolerance to cheese is ... pretty limited, though my wife's tastebuds seem to be changing and now she asks for the sharp cheddar instead of the mild. Maybe there is hope! I'm pea green over your mini-wsm! I have a SJG bobbing across the ocean even now. Another month or so and I hope to be hunting parts for a mini myself!

colberto - way cool! I had run into your "The Pig Lebowski" post somehow using a search engine. Really nice description but you say 1 or 2 untrimmed briskets. How much would that be pound-wise? I don't have the turkey fryer, but I do have a big a** propane hob and a stock pot of substantial girth that will likely do the job. Though, I have to admit, I've been looking at Thirdeye's approach of using a pressure cooker too. We are at 5000 feet and use pressure cookers often.

The slicer ... we just got one! Sent over by a friend in the States, it is in the sub-$100 range and does a great job slicing up bacon. We love it and I can hardly wait to try it on pastrami and/or corned beef!

Bigdog - I am not sure what I will get when it comes to brisket! I have to find some to start with. I have asked for it twice now and got the traditional "Sorry, sir, out of stock" reply that is a common refrain in the Philippines. It can mean anything from "never heard of it" to "sold the last one 5 minutes ago". Luckily I have a brother-in-law that is an apprentice meat cutter moving back into my area. He will have the connections if I can't find it on my own!

so...

I went out last night and looked for brisket again - no joy! I spent my remaining "meat money" on some pork belly for bacon and a nice chunk of pork shoulder to turn into hot Italian sausage out of this weekend. Next week I will start the quest for pastrami in earnest!

From reading, I've decided to use Apple chips to do my initial smoking for the pastrami. I have cherry shreds too, but I will leave the hickory alone for this project.

Thank you all for your great ideas, links, and information. This is a wunnerful place indeed!

I admire your passion for good pastrami. Does anyone in your area butcher cows?

Back