• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New BBQ Pitmasters ~ Kentucky Style ~ At The Top Of The Hour

I've never done mutton, but my wife and I love lamb. The last lamb ribs I made were really good. My wife says she likes them better than baby back/spare ribs.

I see a smoked leg of lamb in my future.

Uh the scots and welsh settled into KY long before 1805. I assure you sheep and whiskey were integral parts of the landscape by then.

Was it Kentucky that they settled in and please share the earlier reference to mutton BBQ in "Kentucky" than the 1805 one. Seriously, teach me.

Was it Kentucky that they settled in and please share the earlier reference to mutton BBQ in "Kentucky" than the 1805 one. Seriously, teach me.

Because if I don't have a quick reference historical mutton document handy it didn't happen? The culture is known for sheep. They were in the area long before 1805. No need to be a history professor to realize they ate sheep long before 1805.

Well, I offered a reference and, apparently, it didn't happen.

Was Kentucky known as Kentucky county, VA until 1792? So, did the scots and welsh settle Kentucky or Virginia?

Did the wool tarif of 1816 (11 years after 1805) have anything to do with the popularity of mutton in Kentucky?

Well, I offered a reference and, apparently, it didn't happen.

Was Kentucky known as Kentucky country, VA until 1792? So, did the scots and welsh settle Kentucky or Virginia?

Did the wool tarif of 1816 (11 years after 1805) have anything to do with the popularity of mutton in Kentucky?

Uh KY? I wouldn't say Kansas City is French BBQ because the geographical area was once part of the Louisiana Purchase. Perhaps you can find early reference to someone cooking a cow in Virginia and try and claim that for your state as well.

Uh KY? I wouldn't say Kansas City is French BBQ because the geographical area was once part of the Louisiana Purchase. Perhaps you can find early reference to someone cooking a cow in Virginia and try and claim that for your state as well.

Well, at least I have a reference rather than a smart a** response.

I think you are right!

Bourbon County, KY was formed on October 17, 1785 from sections of Fayette County, Virginia, and named after the French House of Bourbon, in gratitude for Louis XVI of France's assistance during the American Revolutionary War.

And, the creation of bourbon is credited by some historians to a Baptist minister, Reverend Elijah Craig. Reverend Craig allegedly began distilling the unique spirit dubbed bourbon but still known as corn whiskey, in the town of Royal Spring, Virginia (now known as Georgetown, Kentucky), in 1789.

I think you are right!

Bourbon County, KY was formed on October 17, 1785 from sections of Fayette County, Virginia, and named after the French House of Bourbon, in gratitude for Louis XVI of France's assistance during the American Revolutionary War.

And, the creation of bourbon is credited by some historians to a Baptist minister, Reverend Elijah Craig. Reverend Craig allegedly began distilling the unique spirit dubbed bourbon but still known as corn whiskey, in the town of Royal Spring, Virginia (now known as Georgetown, Kentucky), in 1789.

You should inform your tourism board. I think some reprinted literature is in order.

I'll do it if you will do the same in KY. Never forget your roots.

Mutton aside lol its was an interesting episode. Maybe not my favorite but pretty cool that the team that won just threw the meat on the pit and that was that.

Yeah, I thought the episode was a lot of fun! It was nice to see something other than ribs, brisket, or pork shoulder being cooked. And, no one pulled out the bottle of Parkay!

OKay dokay. As a card carrying Virginia Native American, I say I hope it works out for you.

OKay dokay. As a card carrying Virginia Native American, I say I hope it works out for you.

I'm going to need you to provide some documentation on the naming rights. Actual geographical regions play no role in this change of history. Its only who had an official name first. If you never named it you can't claim it. :)

Bro, I'm all good with you. I have no ill will or malice. I'm just a BBQ buff who has to go with the facts as they are presented by history.

My grandmother is one of the only two matriarchs of the Patawomeck tribe here in VA. Her lineage goes back to the sister of Pocahontas. You know, the one who betrayed her to the English?

In fact, if anyone can show that they are the child or grandchild of my grandmother, they are admitted into the tribe with no other questions asked.

So, I think that pretty much settles it. You can read more here - http://www.patawomeckindians.org/

I'm like you, bro! I love BBQ. No matter where it originated and no matter where it's cooked, if it's good, I'm a fan. But, I also like to acknowledge the history of it too.

Texas BBQ has it's own history and heritage. Kansas City has it's heritage which came from Tennessee. Memphis barbecue has it's roots in Greek cooking recipes. And Kentucky and much of the rest of the South has it's roots in Virginia barbecue.

I don't fight it. I just enjoy it for what it all is.

You talk about some "change in history" but you provide no citations. Are you just ticked that you have to acknowledge the influence of Virginia in Kentucky or do you have some historical facts to back it up?

I'm waiting for some citations rather than just snide remarks.

Actually, mutton was first cooked in Kentucky by Virginians. Two Virginia families moved west to Kentucky and cooked a mutton served with peach syrup in 1805. They were the families of Abraham Lincoln's parents. BBQ mutton was the meat served at Abraham Lincoln's parent's wedding. Until 1792, Kentucky was actually Kentucky County, VA.

From the old book
The Life of Abraham Lincoln:

Drawn from Original Sources and Containing Many Speeches, Letters and Telegrams

picture.php

And they had whiskey!!!
John

One time western Ky produce a lot of wool and they had a lot of old sheep on hand and they found a use for them, in other words eat what you have plenty of

Back