MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Bought 2 WSM's for extra space

The most recent practice cook was the fullest I've ever had my pit at any one time. It became clear that I'll need more room for contest purposes based on the amount of meat we needed for four categories and misc. entries... I mapped out what space requirements are for 6 racks, 2 butts, 2 briskets and 18-24 chicken pieces along with any "extra" categories if all or most were on the pit on turn-in day morning. While it may fit if rib racks were used, it would be packed and there would always be meat in the hotspot closest to the firebox above the baffle.

So, after getting over the idea of spending more money, I placed an order for 2 WSM's from www.grilldoctor.com @ $179.99 plus shipping of $25 each... Luckily Father's Day is fast approaching and I usually get a cash gift from my parents and in - laws which will hopefully offset the cost of one of them...

Now, we'll be able to cook the butts & briskets in the WSM's and have plenty of room in the pit for ribs, chicken etc. at a contest. I'm also excited in that I'll venture out to cook more frequently during the cold season to do fun stuff like turkeys and hams where I won't need to babysit as much...

Now the fun part begins of searching through old posts for Brethren's WSM successes, failures and suggestions ....
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #2
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

Smart move
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #3
Wildcat
Full Fledged Farker

Yep, that was smart. The WSM has not let me down yet.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Kirk
Babbling Farker

I just broke down and bought my 2nd WSM. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but you know you need the space for comps. I got lucky and scored it new on ebay for 145 bucks!

Old 05-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now that Ive just acquired a pop-up camper, I'm wanting a WSM bad (to take along and use instead of the built-in gasser) Good move Vinny. From what I hear, you cant go wrong with a WSM.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #6
icemn62
Babbling Farker

You have to try and mess up things with the WSM. It is almost set it and forget. Will hold the temp for hours, no maintenance during the cook, but you had better get your "I'm busy" look going. My wife thinks that I can no do the honey do list while using the WSM.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #7
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

My wife leaves Saturday for Texas with her mother. She'll be there till Mid June. I've been thinking about sneaking one in to do long overnighters with when I want Brisket. Other than Grill Doctor, anyone else know of a good place for them? I went to the Buy.Com website when they were $149.00 but when I went to buy one, they changed the program to requiring a new credit card.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
Kirk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348
My wife leaves Saturday for Texas with her mother. She'll be there till Mid June...
Man that sent me off on a daydream that was hard to come back from. All I could think about was a quiet house and the privacy, ooohhhhh. You have to understand, we had our first kid in January so privacy and quiet are two things I only have a fond memory of.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

Yea, she goes out there for a month each year so that her parents can get in some quality time with our son. He took a job out there just about the time that we found out she was pregnant. We live in Florida and they live in Houston now until he retires. The M-i-L has been home here for about a month now since the wife had sugery to help with our son who's 2 1/2 now. She's just been cleared by the surgeon post-op and they're leaving Saturday for Houston. She's been doing it now for the last 2 years and I've always planned a BBQ with some friends from work but the plan always falls through (Damn Hurricanes and foul Weather). this year I'm hoping that I'll have at least one good weekend to smoke alot of meats and do some practice stuff so that next year I can try a couple of the local BBQ contests in my area.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #10
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Man that sent me off on a daydream that was hard to come back from. All I could think about was a quiet house and the privacy, ooohhhhh. You have to understand, we had our first kid in January so privacy and quiet are two things I only have a fond memory of.
Enjoy while you can cause it goes fast my youngest will be a Senoir next year and brought up college last night on his own. All I could think was Gawd your getting old.
brdbbq is offline   Reply With Quote