MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > NCGrimbo's StokeMaster app

Notices

NCGrimbo's StokeMaster app Stoke Master is an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch application that can be used to manage your BBQ Stoker. This forum is where you can leave comments, ask questions, report bugs, and look over the FAQ for the application.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Scotty476
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Up and Running (with a question)

Hi NCGrimbo,

I downloaded StokeMaster and am up and running. This is my first cook with a stoker.

It seems to be going well. In the beginning the min and max temps kept reseting themselves but seem to be fine now. I am running StokerLog and the same time so that may have something to do with it.

My issue is that I am getting alerts that my Pit and reached its target temp every few minute or so. Is there a way to turn those off.

Thanks,
Scotty

Oh and I am able to access it remotely (I have an apple airport express router) and setup was very easy.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty476 View Post
Hi NCGrimbo,

I downloaded StokeMaster and am up and running. This is my first cook with a stoker.

It seems to be going well. In the beginning the min and max temps kept reseting themselves but seem to be fine now. I am running StokerLog and the same time so that may have something to do with it.

My issue is that I am getting alerts that my Pit and reached its target temp every few minute or so. Is there a way to turn those off.

Thanks,
Scotty

Oh and I am able to access it remotely (I have an apple airport express router) and setup was very easy.
Hey Scotty. At the moment, there is no way to permanently turn them off. But you can increase the frequency of how often the alarms go off by changing the alert interval value on the Options tab. Information about this can be found at this FAQ question: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...13&postcount=8. Silencing a particular alert on a specific probe is one of the enhancements I'm going to add to a future build.

Thanks for your question.

-NCGrimbo
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Hi NC Grimbo..

Agree with the first poster above, the unwanted alarms are annoying..
Having the sensor serial number displayed in the alert is not needed because you have the sensor name. Displaying the serial number also clutters the display..

Why does the StokeMaster have to quit monitoring the Stoker. I keep getting a warning that it will quit in 10 minites if I don't bring it forward. If my GPS app did this I wouldn't have the app.

In the graph, have a way to set the min and max of the graph.
Display the time of day not length of cook on the bottom of the graph.

Setting the IP address to access the Stoker?
When at home the iPhone connects WiFi to homenet accessing the Stoker using it's LAN address. It will not access the Stoker using a DNS port forward website when on the homenet. When I leave the home network and get on 3G or at a hot spot I have to use the DNS port forward website.

Any suggestions on how to set this up so it works seemlessly to make one graph..

Thanks for making the app, you have done a good job...

Billy
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMerrill View Post
Hi NC Grimbo..

Agree with the first poster above, the unwanted alarms are annoying..
Having the sensor serial number displayed in the alert is not needed because you have the sensor name. Displaying the serial number also clutters the display.
I will look into removing the serial number of the probe from the alerts.

Quote:
Why does the StokeMaster have to quit monitoring the Stoker. I keep getting a warning that it will quit in 10 minites if I don't bring it forward. If my GPS app did this I wouldn't have the app.

This is how Apple has designed iOS 4. There are only 3 types of apps that can run in the background with no restrictions. From the Apple Developer's Guide:
  • audio. The application plays audible content to the user while in the background. (This includes streaming audio or video content using AirPlay.)
  • location. The application keeps users informed of their location, even while running in the background.
  • voip. The application provides the ability for the user to make phone calls using an Internet connection
Stoke Master does not conform to any of these three types of apps so when it gets moved into the background, I have to request that my app be allowed to continue to run. I can make this request 1 time when the app is moved to the background and iOS will give me up to 10 minutes of running time. When there is 2 minutes or less of running time, I alert you that the app will be going to sleep unless you bring it to the forground.

Quote:
In the graph, have a way to set the min and max of the graph.
Display the time of day not length of cook on the bottom of the graph.
Currently, for the temp axis, the min is set to 0 and the max is set to 10 degrees over the highest temp. The time axis shows the full time. I will look into allowing user defined min and max for both axis. I will also look into time of day for the time axis as an option.

Quote:
Setting the IP address to access the Stoker?
When at home the iPhone connects WiFi to homenet accessing the Stoker using it's LAN address. It will not access the Stoker using a DNS port forward website when on the homenet. When I leave the home network and get on 3G or at a hot spot I have to use the DNS port forward website.

Any suggestions on how to set this up so it works seemlessly to make one graph.
If you know you will be leaving the local network and want to have a continuous graph, I would suggest monitoing via an external address. Also, I'm not sure why you can't use the external address while you are on your home network without getting more information from you. Check over this post about connecting to your stoker from outside: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=114219. I will gladly help you get that working if you PM me or email me at [email protected]

As for merging the graphs, I will look into adding this feature.

Quote:
Thanks for making the app, you have done a good job...

Billy
Thanks for taking the time to let me know what you think. I hope this response has satisfied you. If not, feel free to post again, PM me, or email me at [email protected].
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the reply...

I'll have to retry setting the WAN IP address.

Stoker software beta version 2.7.0.31 http://www.kaytat.com/ has added a UI to access the socket command to change the PORT from 80.. this will allow those without a router that does port translation to have WAN access. but there are several other socket commands that would be beneficial for a user to access. They are:
15 - CMD_ID_DUTY_CYCLE_MIN_MAX
16 - CMD_ID_DUTY_CYCLE_TIME_SLICE
http://www.kaytat.com/socket.html

Any possibility access to these could be incorporated in the app?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...

I'll have to retry setting the WAN IP address.

Stoker software beta version 2.7.0.31 http://www.kaytat.com/ has added a UI to access the socket command to change the PORT from 80.. this will allow those without a router that does port translation to have WAN access. but there are several other socket commands that would be beneficial for a user to access. They are:
15 - CMD_ID_DUTY_CYCLE_MIN_MAX
16 - CMD_ID_DUTY_CYCLE_TIME_SLICE
http://www.kaytat.com/socket.html

Any possibility access to these could be incorporated in the app?
I have code in place to deal talk to the Stoker over socket since there are several functions there that I'd like to implement in future versions. But during testing, there were issues with some network bridges that were preventing the app from talking over the sockets, so I put a hold on that code. It will be implemented in a future version.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

I just realized that I put the wrong email address in the post above. It should have been [email protected]. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo