MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Hanging Meat in a UDS

The PBC is all the rage these days, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I wanted to share an alternative that I've been using for years. I've been hanging meat for a while, so when I saw this, I jumped on the opportunity. It's the hanging attachement for the Smoke EZ. (http://www.smoke-ez.com/). If you have a Cajun Bandit or a UDS with a Kettle lid, this will fit right on and give you maximum hanging room. If you have the standard UDS lid, you may have to add some extra hangers, but at the end of the day, this thing just works. I've spoken to the company owner on the phone and in person several times, and he's super nice. He also sold me just the hanger at a reasonable price. When I saw him at the Jack, he had his 26" version on display, complete with the hanger. Put that in your 85-96 gallon UDS! I know I will if I ever build one.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #2
Smokin Patriots
Full Fledged Farker

Since you have been using for years, what would you say the pros and cons are??

Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

To what, hanging meat, or this attachment?

dmp

Old 02-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Both!

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Pros:

• The biggest advantage of hanging meat is that you don't have to worry about a sear. With large cuts you can trim away all fat and get more bark. With poultry, you can hang them dark meat up and still have a pretty breast when you flip it over to serve. You also get great smoke penetration all around.
  • Another perceived advantage is that I think the juices render out better and meat cooks up more tender. This could be all in my head, but I think gravity does some cool things.
  • Finally, I think it's faster to get meat in and out of the cooker.

There are disadvantages too:

• First, you have to have an appropriate cooker to hang meat. Horizontals won't fly, and even verticals need enough space.
  • For large cuts, hanging meat does not make as much use out of available space, so you can cook less meat when hanging.
  • Hooks and harnesses aren't free, so there's a cost involved.
  • Not all meats should be hung! There are some people who do it, but I don't hang briskets, as an example.

With this device, the pros and cons are pretty much the same as above. It's designed to work with a kettle lid, so if you don't have one, you may not appreciate it as much as the rest, but at the end of the day, it's a good product.

EDIT: I should say that I had a Cajun Bandit for about two years, and once I got this device, I never used the grates. To be fare though, I probably used it 5-10 times in that timespace (too many cookers). I've since sold the CB, but I kept the meat hanger because it's just that darned good.

dmp

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't get all the fuss I've been hanging meat for 50+ years the ladies all call me smokehouse

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
[*]Hooks and harnesses aren't free, so there's a cost involved.

dmp
Where do you get harnesses? Nice thread btw
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I don't get all the fuss I've been hanging meat for 50+ years the ladies all call me smokehouse
Do you find that the end of your meat closest to the heat gets done first?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Here's an older thread on the topic that I just happened to find:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ar...p/t-92409.html

I think Fast Eddy/Cookshack sells hooks for ribs. Bacon hooks can be used. I use John Willingham's harnesses which are great for butts and birds. He has a special one that's good for hotdogs. His eCommerce site has been down for about a year, but you may still be able to buy them from him if you call.

I've thought about commissioning some one to build some more, and if any one is interested in doing a group buy, let me know!

dmp

Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
dadsr4

Quote:
Here's an older thread on the topic that I just happened to find:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/ar...p/t-92409.html

I think Fast Eddy/Cookshack sells hooks for ribs. Bacon hooks can be used. I use John Willingham's harnesses which are great for butts and birds. He has a special one that's good for hotdogs. His eCommerce site has been down for about a year, but you may still be able to buy them from him if you call.

I've thought about commissioning some one to build some more, and if any one is interested in doing a group buy, let me know!

dmp
Google is your friend.
http://www.google.com/#q=meat+hooks&...w=1280&bih=670

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I've used a Craycort cast iron grate with 1/2 of the grates removed so I can hang ribs. That leaves the other half with grates for putting other items on, like potatoes. I'll post pics next time I do this.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
More like lil smokie!

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
swamprb

I know thirdeye has fabricated stainless steel hangers for jerky, hopefully he will chime in.

But I see absolutely no reason you could not fab some hangers or use a Smoke EZ setup.

I have been using Bayou Classic Chicken Wing and Leg racks in the Big Drum Smoker clones and they are no different than hanging from hooks on a rod.

I figure if I ever had the desire to hang meats in my 55 gallon drums, I would be able to successfully use the Weber cast iron grate insert holder to suspend meats on hooks.

This way I would not have to alter my drum in any way.

Paul Kirk told me one of his first smokers was a drum style in which he hung meats on hooks.

Of course the PBC purists will point out that its a 30 gallon drum in which case I will sacrifice an 18" cook grate and cut the center rods out.
Case closed.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #14
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

One of the big benefits of the John Willingham "Harnesses" is that they have three or four prongs that go all the way through a shoulder (or brisket or chuck roll, etc) and support it. It's just better than plain old hooks, but like I said, you pay for them. Personally, I think one of the big bennefits of the Smoke EZ over a DIY version with grates and/or rebar is the round hanging area - you are able to hang your meats in a circult and get the best use of space, at least that's what I see. Maybe the ideal thing would have two rings like Willingham cookers have.

dmp

Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
swamprb

Quote:
One of the big benefits of the John Willingham "Harnesses" is that they have three or four prongs that go all the way through a shoulder (or brisket or chuck roll, etc) and support it. It's just better than plain old hooks, but like I said, you pay for them. Personally, I think one of the big bennefits of the Smoke EZ over a DIY version with grates and/or rebar is the round hanging area - you are able to hang your meats in a circult and get the best use of space, at least that's what I see. Maybe the ideal thing would have two rings like Willingham cookers have.

dmp
Is there another source for a W'ham harness or pics of the setup? The site is stagnant and has been for a long time. http://www.willinghams.com/
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote