Turkey Brine question

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This really isnt for bbq but would brining (word?) be beneficial for deep fring a turkey?

Awesome, sounds good. I wasnt sure if brine works with a high heat cooking process. This is my first brine attempt

Yes, it would be good, but make sure that you get that sucker as dry as
possible before you commence fryage.

John

will the water cause a flare up? I planned to dry it for a dry rub anyways but why do you say that?

will the water cause a flare up? I planned to dry it for a dry rub anyways but why do you say that?

Uh, hot oil and water are, shall we say, a volatile combination.
You know, that saying about oil and water not mixing? :wink:

You don't need to be worried about it if you drain the bird well and
get it as dry as you can. Turkeys are wet out of the wrapping. :-D

John

I think brining is ALWAYS a good idea.

When I smoke turks, I always try and allow a couple/few hours of time for the bird to sit in the fridge AFTER I take it out of the brine, so that the skin will firm up and rid itself of some of the water (for crispiness). I doubt that you'll have trouble getting the skin crispy in frying oil, so this may not be an issue?

Still....as has been said......make SURE you at least pat it as dry as you can before dunking it, or ERUPTION!!! (ouch!)
:fear:

When you brine anything you should give it some equalization time after the brine anyway. This allows the brine time to get deeper into the meat. It also allows the meat time to dry. This should be done in the refrigerator, of course.

All the turkeys and chickens that I've seen deep fried had been injected with some kind of marinade..... so I'm wondering if a combination brine and inject-able brine might be something to think about? (shooting it, but still putting it in a brine) It would sure cut down the brine time.

Back