MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default Confused about UDS dome temp vs. grate temp.

Doing 6 racks of spares in the drum today, set up in an inverted roast rack. Probe from my et-73 is hanging in the vent. I can't remember whether the dome temp is supposed to runs ~50F hotter or cooler than the grate. Tried to search the forum, but couldn't find the answer.

Any help?
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
morgaj1
is one Smokin' Farker

On mine, the dome temp is about 40-50* hotter than the lower cooking grate.
morgaj1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
bbqchicken
is One Chatty Farker

I place the probe on the grate like the pic below. Drill a hole for the probe if you want.

never mind I misunderstood

Last edited by bbqchicken; 10-15-2011 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: because me dumberer
bbqchicken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks! The dome temps have been running 250ish, the side therm was running 220ish, so I think i'm in the target range. I didn't put the smoker probe of the et-73 on the grate because it was getting in the way, and there didn't seem to be much room for it.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote