• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wine Barrel Smoker...this is kind of cool...

Thats crazy sweet! I think you would have to keep it well oiled if you don't want to problem another forum poster talked about with the drying out and the air leaks. sweet idea though!

nice. rather well thought out. nothing cheap or junkie about that. i can see the price but just not for me.

It's pretty cool. Not sure about how long it would last. Wonder if you could slip it over a UDS? That would be really cool to use it as a cover.

It's pretty cool. Not sure about how long it would last. Wonder if you could slip it over a UDS? That would be really cool to use it as a cover.
Would be cool to take a 35 gallon drum cut it and taper a cut down 55 and weld it for a liner. Could be removed to clean. Man if I only had a wine barrel and no backlog of projects. :eusa_clap

OK brain rattling in my skull like a BB in a shoe box. How about a large ceramic flower pot down in bottom, hole bored in barrel and pot with old rustic "Tap looking valve for air intake.

OK brain rattling in my skull like a BB in a shoe box. How about a large ceramic flower pot down in bottom, hole bored in barrel and pot with old rustic "Tap looking valve for air intake.

Stop it....
Did you forget backlog of projects?? :twisted:

I think I want one of these. But not for $500.00

quote]

I think it's cool, and could lend some very interesting flavors, compared to steel ... and it's a better insulator.

if he can do one "in a day or two" and a used barrel runs around $85, he's charging a pretty penny for his time and ingenuity.

I think a good proper seasoning/curing process would be important, but a flare up could spell disaster as well.

cool idea though.

I think a good proper seasoning/curing process would be important, but a flare up could spell disaster as well.

The first thought I had was the time I didn't shut my UDS down all the way and suddenly the temp was 400+ degrees...

That would be a big time oops with this one.

Okay, what are your thoughts on exhaust and intakes. There doesn't appear to be any.

I see a hole or two in the side.

Yea, it almost looks like the 1 air hole I see, is below the water bowl and grate!!

Im pretty far from being a wine snob... but arent those things a little stained after having wine sit in them for a year or 2? ( I realize it was probably white wine, but I dont really see any discoloration on the inside. Ive dealt with milling old wine tank stock for other applications, the aroma is fantastic! If you are going to that much work with a barrel, get one that has had RED wine in it; it will drive the neighbors crazy.

Okay, what are your thoughts on exhaust and intakes. There doesn't appear to be any.

Yea, it almost looks like the 1 air hole I see, is below the water bowl and grate!!

I figured it out. That's the bung hole.

I'm picking up two wine barrels tomorrow for $50.00. Will starting figuring stuff out, but this will have to be a Spring time project.

Please keep us posted on your progress with the wine barrels. I for one...am very interested in this. Thanks!

yeah.. and any bung holes you don't like.. just stick a cork in them! Or a wine barrel tap for air flow control.
I don't imagine you would want to build a very hot fire in that thing... never-the-less, if I was doing it, i would would try and use some sort of flanged copper/brass/steel/Aluminum.. take your pick... insert for the exhaust vent hole (flange on inside) ... as i think that may be your hottest spot. otherwise a simple hole in the lid without protection may self-ignite if it gets hot enough and there's enough buildup on the hole... just a question of what temp* that wood gets to, cause we already know wood burns, and as you say.. if your intake is too much open or accidently left open look out... you may hit that magic temp. whatever it is.

I am curious about how he can make one of those last more then a couple of cooks. I have some around the house for looks and the ones I don't put water in dry out and shrink within about two months and cannot hold water again. The ones I have full of water are just fine. So how do you smoke in that thing and not have the oak dry out and shrink?

Nice looking but . . . . . .

I agree with BeerWolf that the one in the photo does not look like it has ever stored wine, not really discolored like every red or white wine barrel I have cut up for smoking wood.

I am curious about how he can make one of those last more then a couple of cooks. I have some around the house for looks and the ones I don't put water in dry out and shrink within about two months and cannot hold water again. The ones I have full of water are just fine. So how do you smoke in that thing and not have the oak dry out and shrink?

Nice looking but . . . . . .

I agree with BeerWolf that the one in the photo does not look like it has ever stored wine, not really discolored like every red or white wine barrel I have cut up for smoking wood.

Norco and I think a good soaking between smokes would be appropriate. I've got a couple of barrels lined up...

Back