• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Who Else Can't Stand MSG?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My Mom used MSG all the time when I was in my teens (70's) I made some ribs a week ago and used some store bought rub without checking. It had MSG listed second. I was really disappointed with the outcome mostly because of the metallic taste the MSG imparts.

One of the very few things I'm allergic to. It will cause tightening of my chest.
:shock:

Me.
Anything that dehydrates me and gives me sensations after consuming is not to be consumed.
Common sense rule.:icon_shy

Edit after reading excited raves on how to discuss MSG;
This is from observing effects on my own body.
I stated it knowing full well the FDA findings and conclusions, but since I observed these effects despite believing all I had read,I would need to suffer insanity to deny reality and follow a belief.
YMMV

Last edited:
After dealing with digestion issues for over 25 years, only by the grace of God did the true cause of my problems ever get diagnosed. Nowadays, I can eat anything without a problem. There was a time when I was on 40mg Nexium twice a day and still had issues even when watching my diet. My doctor told me I'd have to be on that stuff for the rest of my life. He was wrong! I haven't had Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid, Pepcid, or any other acid reducer/blocker for over seven years. It was like a miracle when I was properly diagnosed and treated.

Bring on the MSG! It doesn't bother me.

I've never noticed a metallic taste (maybe it was those4 years in Shanghai), or any particular benefit. Won't try to avoid, and will not add.

I avoid anything that's not a necessary ingredient in food. So unless I'm eating Doritos, which is a rare occasion, I don't eat anyhing with MSG.

After dealing with digestion issues for over 25 years, only by the grace of God did the true cause of my problems ever get diagnosed. Nowadays, I can eat anything without a problem. There was a time when I was on 40mg Nexium twice a day and still had issues even when watching my diet. My doctor told me I'd have to be on that stuff for the rest of my life. He was wrong! I haven't had Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Axid, Pepcid, or any other acid reducer/blocker for over seven years. It was like a miracle when I was properly diagnosed and treated.

Bring on the MSG! It doesn't bother me.

If you don't mind me asking, what was diagnosed? I ask because I have the same issues.

I never use it, and have never used it in asian food at all. In the restraurant I worked in through college, they put it in everything. It was in the stock, the fried rice, the batter, the marinaded meats... everything. When I cook similar foods at home, I never use it and the food is way better anyway as you taste the natural ingredients. The food is not masked with that all intruding MSG flavour.

In particular, the thing that concerns me is the use of MSG in injections for Brisket and pulled pork. If you have to use that ingredient to make a winning competition brisket... you shouldn't be winning.

Cheers!

Bill

My wife has celiac sprue. It's become a very prevalent problem nowadays for a lot of people, unfortunately.

I don't believe in the msg boogey man, I think its a useful tool in my spice rack.

I use it for certain things, don't use it in others. It doesn't offend me, really. I use it in my burger seasoning whenever my wife has a hankering for "fast food." I loathe buying that garbage, but she was raised on Mickey D's, I was raised on Burger King but working fast food in my teens and early adult life, it's just... no. So I add the msg to the burger and fries, and BLAMMO! Fast food craving gone.

I hear the Mayans warned us of MSG. They claimed it would end the world with mass headaches, paper cuts, diaper rash, and stuffy noses on 12/21/12 or something like that.

Exactly, it's GOOD stuff man. You can't make fried rice without fish sauce. Soy sauce... don't even get me started. I don't go running around adding it to everything I make, but that stuff definitely has its uses, just like any other ingredient.

Back