UDS Question

agr347

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am new to the board and I posted this in the UDS thread, but it is so large, I wasn't sure how often it got read. I have found a barrel at a local machine shop that held a "water-based coolant" He said it has no liner on the inside and is just bare metal. Do you guys think this would work for my barrel? I wasn't sure about the water based coolant having been in it? I can't find a food grade barrel with the open top. I don't have a kettle lid and haven't been able to find one thus far to go with a closed head type barrel. Thanks for the help!

I have been using the same type of barrel all summer long. Burn it out good and you should have yourself a nice barrel.

used oil

I have asked this question on other threads and got various opinions. What about a barrel that has had used motor oil in it.

Give it a good burn out after ya drill your inlets holes and you should be good to go.

I am new to the board and I posted this in the UDS thread, but it is so large, I wasn't sure how often it got read. I have found a barrel at a local machine shop that held a "water-based coolant" He said it has no liner on the inside and is just bare metal. Do you guys think this would work for my barrel? I wasn't sure about the water based coolant having been in it? I can't find a food grade barrel with the open top. I don't have a kettle lid and haven't been able to find one thus far to go with a closed head type barrel. Thanks for the help!

You'll be just fine with that , Norcoredneck used a barrel that contained water-based machine lubricant in his tutorial which can be seen here.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

Finding a food grade barrel only insures one thing , more work getting it cleaned out. As far as your kettle lid goes , they have a 22.5" grill at BigLots , that sells for $29 , you can use the lid and the grate out of it , not a bad deal really. Good luck.

Burning out is the key. I have a 275 ga. fuel oil tank that was in use for 20 years. Made a cooker out of it and it makes great Q.

Yup, best barrel to get IMHO, ni liner, easy washout, I would wash it out with warm water and a good liguid detergent like dawn, twice, then a quick burnout and your set.
have fun!

Oh and on waste oil drums, be real carefull to clean those good and burn out extra long, to much junk goes in waste oil, incluing metals and additives.

Back