Ranger Mel's Chili Recipe

W

wheelterrapin

Someone recently was wanting a chili recipe that used brisket and I copied this from "Uncle Billy's Downeast Barbeque Book" written in 1950. I have not made it and it certainly has a lot of ingredients in is so if anyone does make it let me know what you think:

2 Pounds dried kidney beans
3 quarts of water
2 pounds of leftover brisket, or other BBQ beef
1/8 cup of vegetable oil
3 good size green bell peppers, seeded and rough chopped
1 large ghead of garlic, peeled (or 6 heaping tablespoons of granulated garlic
1 pound of onion, any kind rough chopped
6 heaping tablespoons of Hungarian Paprika
4 heaping tablespoons of ground cumin
2 heaping tablespoons of ground coriander
1 heaping tablespoon of ground black pepper
1 level teaspoon of cayenne pepper
6 dried bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon of cloves
1/4 cup dried oregano
1/4 cup Masa tortilla flour (or regular cornmeal)
1 3- ounce package of dried ancho or poblamo chiles, rehydrated and ground per isntructions on package
3 fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
3 cups of red wine, cheap
2 cups of coffee, day old
1/8 cup of soy sauce
1/8 cup Oriental fish sauce, or worcestershire sauce
2 16-ounce cans of stewed tomatoes
1 long neck bottle of Lone Star beer, or yoru favorite
1/8 cup of molasses
2 ounces of unsweeten choclate

The beans will take the longest to cook, so get started on them first. But first wash and pick through them to make sure there are no stones, gravel. or whatnot. Bring 3 quarts of water and the beans to an enthusiastic boil in an uncovered pot, then cover, take off the heat and set aside for two hours - three is better.

In the meantime, hack the brisket into pieces about the size of your thumb. Put oil into a large , heavy metal, but not stainless steel pot, and heat the oil until almost smoking. Toss in the hacked up brisket, bell peppers, garlic, onions, and dry spices, and work them in good, stirring with a heavy wooden spoon, for a couple of minutes over high heat. Add the Masa flour or cornmeal, ground ancho chilies, jalapenos, wine, coffee, soy sauce, fish sauce and tomatoes. Keep stirring as you bring it to a boil and then set aside until the beans are ready.

To finish cooking the beans, bring them back to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for at least an hour.

When the beans are cooked to the point where their cooking liquid has thickened to gravy, pour it all into the big pot with the meat and everything else. Bring it gently to a boil, stirring the whole time with your wooden spoon to prevent scorching.

Let simmer for 45 minutes, then pour bottle of beer into chili, cover the pot and put it in the refrigerator and got to bed.

In the morning take the pot out of the refrigerator and, and very gently bring to a boil, stirring almost constantly since at the point the chili can easly scorch. Once it reaches a boil turn down to a low simmer and let simmer for and hour or two.

This chili is always better the second day or so says Uncle Billy who wrote the recipe.

If anyone tried this let me know what your thoughts are.

It is a monster recipe and I do not know if I have enough days on Earth to undertake cooking it. It is suppose to make a gallon of chili. I just hope if any venturous soul does make it they will let us know how it turned out.

Back