• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Any suggestions for smoking a duck?

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Good Morning all!

Firing up the smoker, and trying a duck for the first time. Any suggestions for timing/foiling, etc? I brined it last night in something I made up....apple juice, apple cider vinegar, water, salt, sugar, black peppercorns, a little cayenne pepper, and a bit of cinamon. Smells good so far..

But, never don't a duck....need some suggestions for timing, temp..etc. Would I do the foiling thing on this?

Thanks in advance!!

cayenne

UHHHh, Hey Poobah is there a critter missing from your back yard?? :twisted: :wink:

Sorry, that was just a little jab at Bash III.
Personally I've never smoked one, but somebody here has got to know something.

HEY GUYS WAKE UP!!!!
Help the Brethren out. His goose, er duck is cooking!!

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds interesting!!

Anyone?

hlawrence said:
Sorry, that was just a little jab at Bash III.
Personally I've never smoked one, but somebody here has got to know something.

HEY GUYS WAKE UP!!!!
Help the Brethren out. His goose, er duck is cooking!!

Let us know how it turns out. Sounds interesting!!

Thanks for the reply...

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
:)

I found one site that only mentioned about 6+ hours....and internal temp over 170F?

Does this sound right? Do ya'll ever foil your birds? Man, thanks for that tip on ribs and butts and brisket...works like a charm...but, do you do it on birds?

C

I smoke duck on occaision. I like it. No real need to baste or mop due to the fat layer under the skin. Otherwise, just cook like a large chicked & test for doneness by the handshake method. Maybe a wild rice/brown rice stuffing ???

Is it farm raised or wild?

Farm raised duck can be cooked just like chicken, same times and temps. The recipie I use is to rub the duck inside and out with olive oil, then rub with slices of orange. Sprinkle with favorite seasoning inside and out. Quarter an onion and an orange, place pieces inside cavity of duck. Tuck legs into slits in tail fat to hold it all together. Smoke like a chicken.

Wild duck needs to be done for less time. Either brine or wrap in bacon to keep moist. Wild duck does not have to be "well done" it can still be a little pink/red.

Be very careful of grease fires with farm raised duck! Only grease fire I have ever had was from doing ducks in the dera.

I'd go with what midnight said. I've smoked duck (the farm-raised, "bought it at the grocery store" kind), and treated it pretty much like a chicken of similar size. Rubbed with preferred seasoning, and cooked along with the other meats I had going. Didn't spray or mop it, and it came out quite tasty.

I found one site that only mentioned about 6+ hours....and internal temp over 170F?

I'm not sure I'd trust 170* on any piece of fowl, 180*-185* range for me, I don't want the little blue pill thing happening!

Back