MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Don't be like John D. from Oklahoma

A lesson from my first and favorite BBQ book that I need to remind myself (see attachment below).

I've lost my BBQ mojo. My pork butt this past weekend sucked. It was dry, a little charred, the flavor was lacking, and just plain wasn't that good without a helping of sauce. I was glad I wasn't serving this one to guests.

4 years ago, I embarked on my BBQ adventure with a el cheapo Brinkman smoker (ECB) and Gary Wivott's book Low and Slow. I bought into what Gary was selling and enjoyed his humor along the way. I faithfully did all 5 lessons, even repeating a few along the way to gain better mastery. As far as I could tell, each cook was a success. The food was great. My friends thought I was a BBQ god! I built my first UDS. Again, I did the 5 lessons (or most of them) to get the feel for my new smoker and how it operated. Things were going well.

Then something happened. ...

I got addicted to trying BBQ rubs. Every time a new rub was mentioned on the Brethren, I had to try it. I found myself ordering rubs every few months. And, since I was paying shipping, well it is better to order 3 or 4 at a time. A couple of the rubs were pretty good. A couple of rubs were blah, but if you combined them in the right way and let them sweat on the meat for just the right time, cook at the right temperature, and add a little seasoning salt were pretty good. Others I just didn't like and had bad thoughts about the Brother who recommended it. Never finding that perfect flavor profile of my own, but overall still turning out above average Q. But that was probably the least of my problems...

When I started out, I used Royal Oak Lump - because that is what Gary demands. It was working for me. I knew how much to to put in the basket, how much to light at the start and my valve settings. But, after finishing my lessons, I felt comfortable experimenting a little. I started using Royal Oak briquettes, since Menards sold them cheap. I found the right valve settings, and those were working for me. But then Lowes/Home Depot had Kingsford on sale dirt cheap. Lots of people on the Brethren love Kingsford, why not. I even did burn tests to determine the difference between RO and KBB. My opinion, all charcoal produce the same results, but just need a little different care in amount lit to start and valve settings and how much you're going to need. Just one little thing to keep straight.

I then started experimenting with diffusors. Some on the Brethren said that diffusors were a sin, other that they are necessary to get rid of the taste of fat burning on the coals. I did experiments with a ECB bowel, a pizza stone, a bunt pan, and ended up with a 16" terra cotta pot base. I thought it helped even out the temperature differences across the drum. Where it used to be 50* hotter at the center than the edge, it was now ~25* cooler at the center than the edge. Oh, and a lot more fuel usage.

Then when it was -5* outside and I found myself in the middle of a 12 hour cook and running out of fuel, I realized the difference the cold weather can make and started experimenting with blankets on my smoker. It made a big difference in the valve setting, run times, fuel usage, etc. Then I experimenting with leaving the blanket on during the summer, which again affected the valve settings. I liked the results with the blanket on, just had to remember the valve setting was different. Then I took the blanket off in the, because it was summer and it was getting wet and dirty. More change.

Then, that new shiny toy appeared. I typically didn't have problems controlling the temp in my UDS. But, I normally cook overnight and serve at noon. For who knows what reason, every so often my Maverick would go off and alert that the smoker temp had dropped. Usually it just needed a good kick. And, even when the UDS did run perfectly throughout the night, I was so worried it wouldn't I didn't' sleep well. And then I found the solution to all my problems. "Temperature Fan Controller" Ah yes. Plug in a temp probe and set the dial and all my problems are solved! And it is a shiny toy. I would be as cool as that Pitmaster on TV. I had to try one. My first cook with the new toy went perfectly. And so did most of them. But, there was that one that when I loaded the drum up with 4 butts, the temp dropped so low because of the cold meat the fan blew non-stop to bring it back up then it way overshot and was so hot there was some charring. There were a couple other where the fan just seemed to blow and blow kicking up ash. And as I used it more, it seemed just as picky about getting my fire started the right amount of lit charcoal and getting the temp probe just that far from the meat to work right. Then they came out with a new improved version to address some of the issues people were having (partly because it wasn't designed for a UDS) and in my mind proved I was right in judging it finicky. I was starting to think that I was no more successful at controlling the temps as I was without it. Same, but different.

And, to top it off, somewhere in my fan controller experimentation phase, I made the top vent holes bigger to accommodate some better sealing plugs I saw someone post a picture of and I built a second UDS. Being ever so smart, I built the second one slightly different. Instead of the 3/4" ball, I used a 1" ball so the fan controller could just attach to that. Yeah! And instead of using 2 3/4" nipples, I used one 1". And, my old was a flat top with 6 holes in top, this one had a 2" diameter cap that I figured I could use because others use it that way. And one had a 16" terra cotta pot diffusor and the other one because I wanted to save $4 has a 14" t.c. diffusor. And I saved another $5 by getting the 2" thermo instead of the 3" thermo like my first one. Finally, I didn't do the 5 steps on this one - after all I was a BBQ god.

Constantly experimenting. I love to experiment. Rubs, Cookers, 220* vs 275*, whatever.

And that's the short version. So here I am 4 years with three different smokers (did I mention that to see what all the hoopla was about, I bought a Pit Barrel) and a head full of BBQ knowledge. Problem is that I'm having trouble keeping it all straight. I can't remember which rub I liked and which one my wife liked but I didn't. I cant' remember where the valve setting is supposed to be on this smoker verses that one, whether that is for Kingsford charcoal or Royal Oak, whether that was warm weather or cold weather. My success rate for getting the smoker to run all night without adjustment has plummeted and I'm at a complete loss of where my valves should be set. I've lost confidence in my ability to get the valve just right and can't help myself from monitoring the temps on my Maverick like a hawk and freaking out if it shifts 5* and running outside to adjust my ball valve. (Though I once preached to just let the smoker settle in and adjust your cooking times rather than adjusting the smoker temp. )

Bottom line is my BBQ is _in my opinion_ a hot mess. It is in a downward spiral and getting worse, not better. I realized that I've become John D. in Oklahoma.

Now that the weather is cooling down outside and I'm going to be home more, I'm recommitting myself to BBQ. I'm going to get my Low & Slow book back from my buddy who stole it from me and work my way back through the 5 lessons. I'm going to use the same smoker for each. I'm going to use the same charcoal. I'm going to get back to the basics and do it the same each time until I get my mojo back.

I know others preach the KISS method and I'm not saying anything new or revolutionary. Maybe I'm more posting this to myself to hold myself accountable. Either way, I hope the story helps someone...

(and for those wondering the 5 steps are: Chicken, Chicken, BB, Spares, Butt. Each step trying to teach you a new basic skill.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dont.jpg (49.1 KB, 504 views)

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Grumpy Habenero
Found some matches.

Thanks,

I'm just starting out with my first smoker. I have done one beer can chicken so far. That's it!
I have been researching and researching and I have so many ideas its overwhelming. I need to KISS and do my best to perfect the basics before I start experimenting with things.
Good luck, Ryan.
Grumpy Habenero is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks for the post...I think we all fall victim to not thinking things through all the way sometimes.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
SmittyJonz

Ok that was TOO much reading for me so I skimmed it - Hope You Get Yo BBQ MOJO Back!!!!

And to keep things simple and not confusing - Go Ahead and send that Pit Barrel Cooker to me.........

Old 09-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
rdstoll
is one Smokin' Farker

This is so true and as a newbie myself I'm seeing firsthand how easy it is to get caught up in experiments. What's helping me is that I'm documenting every smoke in Evernote - the good, the bad and the ugly. With pictures, what rub I used, temp, observations about the smoker (in my case a UDS)... And I've insisted that my family give me unvarnished opinions about taste and texture which they're more than happy to do!

Thanks for posting because I don't want to be John D from Oklahoma!
rdstoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i know where ya coming from. been there with all the experimenting and such.

i'm nowhere near where i was 2 years ago. for the worse, cuz i just don't cook as much.

BUT, there is a baseline experience and skill level that raises with each cook intuitively, no matter what.

i guess i'm saying, get back at it, have some fun, enjoy the food, and trust yourself.

basically trust yourself, you know what to do to make it good.

although, i would say, stick to one fuel source. other than that go with the flow.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdstoll View Post
What's helping me is that I'm documenting every smoke in Evernote - the good, the bad and the ugly.
I also frequently document. I do think it can be generally helpful. But, you also got to be careful. Just because your last three cooks hit 165 after 4 hours doesn't mean there is a problem if this one is only at 155 after 4 hours. It could be a slight difference in the temperature, the humidity, or maybe the meat is 1# bigger. You know what I mean. It is way to easy to overthink when you got a mountain of notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
i know where ya coming from. been there with all the experimenting and such.

i'm nowhere near where i was 2 years ago. for the worse, cuz i just don't cook as much.
Yeah. Not cooking often enough is definitely part of it. I just need to get back to smoking once a week on the same smoker rather than once a month with other random variables.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #8
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

Well I learned from my experience (mistakes) too. Best thing I do is cook for the wife. When I have an exceptional cook she says, "I hope you wrote down the recipe" for that particular cook. I do stray from the norm often but she keeps me on track. Thanks honey.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I don't have any recipes written down, and don't document any cooks. It's all in my noggin, and I just wing it most of the time.

Did whole plate beef short ribs a couple nights ago.. fantastic results by keeping it simple, SPOG and heat with a little cherry wood. Scored the membrane and trimmed the silverskin/fat from topside, rubbed and put back in fridge till fire was ready. BBQ is simple, people make it complicated.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
mikemci
Babbling Farker

Beware of a man who owns only one gun. He will be very proficient with it.
mikemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
tpope
Full Fledged Farker

Yep... we can complicate things very well...

It's fire and meat folks.
tpope is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
landarc

Well, that is a bummer. And I hope you can get it back together.

I am one to not believe that there is any one way, or that you must follow any instructions perfectly, what you must do is cook, and cook often, or cook a long time, get a feel for things, learn how fire works etc...

I have been cooking over a live fire going on around 35 years now, and from time to time, I still surprise myself with a nailed cook, or a lesson learned.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

very good advice, thanks for reminder - and like meathead goldwyn says - "change only one variable at a time"

Old 09-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #14
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

i think we overcomplicate so many things. its fire....meat.... seasonings.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Man that's a long post lol

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote