MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Piginapit
On the road to being a farker

Default Brisket Rookie

Holy cow Ive been off here for way too long...Took me two days to go through most of the posts that I've been missing! New baby coming and house projects have had me out of the smoke ring completely.

Ok on to the question...Ive never messed with Brisket until now...Sams had two cuts, a 10-12lb "Brisket" and a 4.5 lb "Flat"...What is the difference and are there big differences in cooking them. I went ahead and picked up the flat just based on the price and the fact that we bought 50lbs of meat that day

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get the brisket. Most commonly referred to arond here as a "packer". You can cook that flat too, but packers are usually juicier. They do cook different. Packers take longer, but after cooking you have the flat part which is nice and sliceable, and the point which is nice pulled or chopped in my opinion. You can make burnt ends out of the point if you like.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Piginapit

So does the Packer include the flat? Is it all the same piece of meat? I'm lost man...

Old 02-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
bigabyte

Yeah, the packer is two pieces of meat in one. The flat and the point, connected by a layer of fat. You can seperate them, which is what the butcher did to give you the flat, and the point is usually left for burger. I've never seen just a "point" for sale, but lots of flats!

To cook your flat, hit it with some rub (just salt and pepper is a nice start for a first brisket I think) and cook it to 195 internal. If there is a layer of fat on it, leave it on there while you are cooking it. If there is no layer of fat on it, you may consider rubbing some oil on it before the rub and maybe even foiling the flat when it hits 160 internal, and busting it back out of the foil after the temps starts climbing again after it stalls around 160-165. Let it rest and slice against the grain.

I do not normally smoke flats, so maybe someone wtih a lot of experience with flats can give you a better cooking method. I prefer packers because my favorite part is the burnt ends, which I make from the point. I buy flats and grind them up for burger though, adding in bacon for the fat. Yum!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Piginapit

Great thanks! It does have a layer of fat covering on side. Cook it fat side up right right?

Thanks for the advice!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

Be sure to cut it across the grain. If you have a whole packer the two different pcs the grain runs in different directions. If you cant tell after cooking which way the grain goes take a thin slice off top to see.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Arlin_MacRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piginapit View Post
Great thanks! It does have a layer of fat covering on side. Cook it fat side up right right?

Thanks for the advice!!!
(wince) This is a raging debate that never ends!

My advice is, if you've got a lot of heat below the grate, go fat side down. If not, put it up. Fat will protect the bottom from drying and it will baste the meat as it melts if it's placed up. Your choice!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote