• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

frozen glaze questions

cmwr

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a freezer bag of my rib honey glaze I made this winter sitting in the freezer. My plan was to have some on hand next time I wanted it and just defrosting it and using it. But whatever ingredient it is, has not let the stuff freeze. When you grab the bag it is like gel. So now I am wondering since it has not frozen completely solid is it safe or is it like it has been in the fridge for 3 months?

does it have alcohol in the glaze?

No alcohaul. It has corn syrup, honey, ketchup, pineapple juice, butter, cider vinegar, brown sugar, plus all the spieces and onion garlic ect. I am not sure what in the mix refuses to freeze.

I do know that honey freezes at a very low temperature. Couple that in with all the salt etc. I would guess you have a much, much lower freezing temperature than water.

Maybe that's it. I think I am going to throw it away. Was a nice attempt at pre making it though.

I don't think you need to throw it away. Honey itself doesn't actually spoil and if it's been held at below freezing temps then bacteria can't grow.

I don't think you need to throw it away. Honey itself doesn't actually spoil and if it's been held at below freezing temps then bacteria can't grow.

Well that's good to know. I suppose if everything is held "below" freezing then whether it froze solid or not bacteria cannot grow correct? For some reason I thought if it didn't freeze solid then bacteria could still have grown.

Its fine. the only thing that freezes at 32 is pure water. adding salt or sugar to water drops the freezing point. Thus is how salt melts ice at below 32 degrees. Its not melting, the freezing point just dropped.

Its fine. the only thing that freezes at 32 is pure water. adding salt or sugar to water drops the freezing point. Thus is how salt melts ice at below 32 degrees. Its not melting, the freezing point just dropped.

I agree 100%

Back