MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #10891
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Looking good! It's going to be one nice drum.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #10892
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

what size hole did you make to thread in the 1" nipple? was it just 1-1/4"?
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #10893
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
what size hole did you make to thread in the 1" nipple? was it just 1-1/4"?
I don't have the drill parts with me to check, but will update you at the weekend. It was a Makita 6-piece plumbers holesaw kit, but looking online there are some variations between Brazil and other countries, so I cannot say for sure. The 3/4" pipe hole was done with a 25mm part, and I *think* the 1" was done with a 38mm part.
CambuiAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #10894
CambuiAl

So - the burn out is now done, and I am ready to give the drum a final clean out inside before spraying with vegetable oil.

I have 3 questions please:

Painting outside - Not sure if I need a primer or not, and I was going to use a high-temp spray paint that people use for painting wood burner chimneys here. I assume I need a paint that will do high-temps, even if this thing will never get that hot? What paint do most folk use?

The lid fit question - it sits okay, but there are a couple of points where it wobbles. I have read (700 pages so far) in this post about people using a type of gasket tape, the type of silicone sealant used in oven doors (I can get this in Brazil) and there is also a type of rope that might or might not have fibre-glass in it. Any thoughts? Of course, I could just sit a heavy weight on the lid while cooking!

Thermometer - I have one on my pizza oven and it has a 12" probe on it. I take it that people just push this in and out when ready to cook (i.e. it's removable) as otherwise it would get in the way of loading the charcoal basket in and out?

Many thanks!

Old 05-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #10895
CambuiAl

Forgot to add this one - everyone loves the burning out part!

This burnt it back to bare metal - job well done!

Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #10896
RustyPup
Got Wood.

Looking good!

First, yes I would suggest using a primer anytime you're going to paint over bare metal. The primer gives the paint a clean surface to stick to. I too used high-temperature stove paint, but others use engine paint sold in auto parts stores, and it appears that it works very well.

I can't help you with the lid. I used a Weber lid, and I understand that's not an option for you.

The 12" thermometer that you describe sounds like the right one to me. The thermometer is removed to allow you to take the charcoal basket out. Then it's installed after the basket of lit charcoal is put into the smoker.

It sounds like you're moving right along, and you're almost there. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #10897
Heisenberger
Knows what a fatty is.

I had a loose fitting flat lid as well. I basically bent the rim of the lid in at two different spots. I did it by holding it vertically to the ground and kinda banging/dropping it on the ground. This didn't make it airtight but ever time I put the lid on I would press down at that two points to kinda lock it down. I don't know how warped your lid is but it worked for me and you can always bend it back with channel locks...
Heisenberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #10898
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

I used a 12 in thermometer for a while and drilled a bolt for it to go thru. Holds the stem straight.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #10899
CambuiAl

Default Painting and lid sealing this weekend!

So - I have bought my primer, and spray paint for high temperatures. I bought 4 x 300ml cans of mat black and 1 x 200ml can of gold - the colours were fairly limited, but I figure I can do a nice logo with the gold on the mat finish.

I also bought some silicone seal (2 metres) - the type used for high-temperature oven doors. I am curious about this stuff to see if this helps with making a good seal on the lid. I am thinking of using this on the rim of the barrel, so the lid sits nicely on top. Anyone used this stuff before?

Last edited by CambuiAl; 05-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: It's a seal not sealant.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #10900
DoctorQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0face View Post
My christening cook...

Holding steady.

Hey n0face

I am looking at trying these Polder temperature monitors and wondered how you are getting on with them...?

Cheers

Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #10901
DoctorQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lehdeman View Post
I have it all painted...

Attachment 78715
That lid looks good repainted - was it tricky to prepare the surface to take the paint...?

Thanks

Old 05-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #10902
CambuiAl

Default Diameter of Charcoal Baskets?

So - heard back from the Blacksmiths today, and they have done my grill and charcoal basket from SS:

As expected, they used the perforated metal that is more common here, but the first thing that struck me is that the charcoal basket which is 8" high is 18" wide! I think I got this slightly wrong as this is going to hold kilos of lump!

What diameter is generally thought to be right? I know 8" was suggested as the usual height (and I will be adding bolt legs to this and getting it into an ash pan) but I think I have exaggerated on the diameter. Even so - one solution I thought of is to put a couple of fire-bricks in the middle, stood on their ends, that would fill the space and reflect some heat.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #10903
Chitown_hillbilly
Full Fledged Farker

Yea 18 might be a little big. Might have a hard time getting it in and out past the bolts that hold your grate. Mine is a "Charcoal" grate from an 18 in Weber, which makes it about 14 inches in diameter.
Chitown_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #10904
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

i don't know if any one has seen this vid. I just made a basket like this , took all of ten minutes using a recip. saw , i used a piece that was 24"x24"
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #10905
CambuiAl

Picked up the charcoal basket and grill from the ironworks today - stainless steel and looking good. The basket at 18" diameter is probably too big, but I think I can make it work.

Tomorrow: cleaning out the drum with the pressure hose, spray painting (primer and mat black high temp with gold decals if I get artistic) and the inauguration cook: chicken thighs for lunch with some special Brazil-style rub, and pulled pork and Boston Beans for dinner. Can't wait!

I just need the legs for the basket and a 1" bolt to secure the main ball valve, and will try the silicone oven seal for the lid.

Photos of this historic moment to follow!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker