Venison tenderloins question

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hey Brethren! A friend just have me a few venison tenderloins to cook. Since they are so lean, they'll go on my grill, but I'm looking for your best advice on grooming them, please. Method, seasoning, desired internal temp, etc. Any help is appreciated.

Remove as much silver skin as you can get off.
I smoked some tenderloins, as that was the request. Grilling is a great option.
I sliced the the loins length wise to about 1" thick, rubbed, rolled, tied up with onion, celery, carrot inside. I smoked at 250* for 1.5 hrs to get some color.
Then they placed in a pan with some beef broth. Wrapped pan tight with foil. Into the oven till 125* IT at 300* for 20 mins?
Came out great, they were introducing venison to some kids. Big hit. Next time they will be more willing to try grilled. Or other methods of eating venison.

If they are really the tenderloin keep it simple and they will cook quick ,if its the loin a bacon wrap with favorite rub put on first is always great, 130 ish unless your wife don't like anything red looking like mine :(

It's been a while since I have done it but I wrap bacon around the whole strip in rings for what will be individual steaks at the end of the cook, securing with toothpicks. Before the bacon, salt, pepper and whatever seasoning your taste buds tell you. I sear the entire strap on high heat turning it as needed to get all sides seared well. At this point I cut the strap into two inch steaks (each having its own bacon wrap) and immediately sear the cut ends on high heat. Normally that's all the grilling it needs (depending on personal preference). Serve with asparagus pears and rice. A good bernaise sauce is essential in my opinion.

Are you sure they are tenderloins? They would look like little football shape. The loin (or also known as backstrap) would more resemble a tube like a beef tenderloin.

Either way, I usually roll mine in bacon grease for a coating of fat (I find wrapping in bacon take too long for the bacon to cook) salt and pepper, cook to 110-115 hot and fast and rest for 10 minutes. It will come up to 120-125 during the rest. If you cook past that you're missing the mark.

+1 for the taking them to 110-115 and then rest to 120-125 - do not over cook or they will get tough in a hurry. I rub mine with olive oil and then season with salt and pepper or McCormick steak seasoning. Slice thin and enjoy.

It's such a small window before they dry out.

I'd saute in a pan using either bacon drippings or duck fat. It'll stink up the house, so think about sauteing on the grill.

I usually do them hot and fast on the grill or in a cast iron with butter. Usually just some EVOO and whatever steak or game rub I'm feeling (I really like Pit Barrel's Beef and Game seasoning and the beef options from Oakridge.) Sear to 110-115 internal as they said, rest, and slice. Rarer the better.

I've also done reverse sear in cast iron after smoking on the Green Mountain. To me, venison doesn't do as well with smoke as beef does. Venison is so good by itself I think the smoke actually takes away from it a bit.

They're relatively small,(thin) and lean, the texture is course, not like the loin or backstraps, in beef they would be filet mignon,

I just pan cook in olive oil or lard, to no more then medium, salt pepper. fast and easy....

Though we have had no response, I assumed the op was about the backstrap, not the filet which is minuscule on a deer.

Though we have had no response, I assumed the op was about the backstrap, not the filet which is minuscule on a deer.

Yeah, I wasn't able to post until just now. When my friend gave them to me, he has just taken then out of the freezer..I didn't look at them, but do remember they felt like long strips. He called them tenderloins, but I know different people use different terms. They've been in my fridge thawing, so I'll try to post a picture tomorrow. Thanks for your input

Back