Pig ROasting Box

R

Rhapsody

Hey All,

I currently do not have a cooker that could accomadate roasting a whole pig. I was wondering if anyone knows of any easy roasting boxes along the lines of La Caja China. I think La Caja China is great, but it doesn't produce the best looking pigs, and when a client want's a roast pig, part of it is the aesthetic. Thanks in advance.

If you do a search on this site there are several threads with pics.

What does La Caja do wrong to a pig? I haven't roasted many pigs, but this one was done on a China Box. Not being a d**k, I'm just wondering what exactly another cooker might produce different? PS--I didn't cook this one, so feel free to bash the piggie!

Attachments

• Pig.jpg
    Pig.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 144
What does La Caja do wrong to a pig? I haven't roasted many pigs, but this one was done on a China Box. Not being a d**k, I'm just wondering what exactly another cooker might produce different? PS--I didn't cook this one, so feel free to bash the piggie!

Pig+Bash+Norco = Brian (in So. Cal.).

Pig+Bash+Norco = Brian (in So. Cal.).

socalbash066.jpg

Thats an awesome looking pig. My only concern is that I have seen pigs come out a a Caja that aren't 1/4 as good looking at this guy. I suppose it has something to do with when people are flipping them combined with the racks that hold them together. But if I could get them to look like that everytime , I would get one tomorrow.

I use my Caja China several times per year and get a great looking product. I treat the pig just as if I were smoking it; i.e. injections, rubs, etc. This year I purchased the smoker pistol to use and am looking forward to trying it out. Also, 3-4 hours to cook a whole pic aint bad!

Thats an awesome looking pig. My only concern is that I have seen pigs come out a a Caja that aren't 1/4 as good looking at this guy. I suppose it has something to do with when people are flipping them combined with the racks that hold them together. But if I could get them to look like that everytime , I would get one tomorrow.

I would say they aren't doing something right. Is not the box.

How about a cinder block pit? You would have to set it up each time though, but they work great!!
I use mine for other things too...hams, briskets, venison quarters, pots of beans etc..

I would say they aren't doing something right. Is not the box.

I was looking for some pictures of the mangled pigs online, but don't want to offend anyone. I did find this news story though, and I think you would agree that this pig isn't that great looking....

YouTube - La Caja China Pig Roasting

Thanks for the tip that not all of them look like this though. I am thinking of using my pulled pork profit from the beginning of the summer to get one for the second half.

I almost sold mine, I have the largest model and I use alot of charcoal to cook a small amount of food. I ususally stick to pork shoulders with the skin on. In the past month I have gotten 3 requests to cook 90 lb pigs in my Caja. I've done 5 whole pigs and they taste great injected with a ham brine. The problem is I never have 100 people over to the house to feed. But this year I'm doing 3 grad parties for college buddies and one for my sister. I might even have one lined up for an amish family reunion. So in short when someoen else is paying for your hog and you get to stay and eat it the large is awesome.

As far as how one looks when its done, its all in how you prep it. I think a caja pig looks great. Most people get over the look with the head on it once they start eating it. I'm telling you right know the best part of a Caja pig is the crispy skin. Like eating hot pork rinds or cracklins. Personally one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth.

Back