Amazed by new assassin pit

Texan79423

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Did my first cook on my assassin 23 pit. Started at 8 yesterday morning. Loaded about half of a 15# bag of kingford kicked on the IQ120 and cooked until 630. Closed pit value, and stack to smother the fire and rolled it into the garage.

At 7am this morning I still had hot coals and pit was at 110 degress. Loaded up another 7-8 pound of kingsford and she started right back up.

That amazed me

Those are some great smokers. Congrats! Be careful putting your cookers in the garage. One guy had it catch something on fire and another had a carbon monoxide issue in his house. Luckily the fire wasn't too bad and the other guy had a carbon monoxide detector. Don't remember what type of cookers but I still wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
That was me with the co2, dont put it in an enclosed area until its out. I used to just slide it into the garage once the vents were closed. Even if its not an atacthed garage the last thing you want is one of your kids or wife to end up on the floor in there, could even happen to you..

My UDS will run 26 hrs on 10 lb of lump @ 250 :noidea:

Sounds like a fantastic cooker, but why wouldn't it completely smother the fire once closed-down? I don't know much about the assassins, but it seems like it should be pretty close to air-tight when the vents/vales all shutdown?

Maybe it is just insulated so well the heat kept the charcoal ready to light once you added air back to it?

I ordered my Assassin 24 this time last year. It's been a great smoker. You will really enjoy yours.

Ever cooker thread has a post about a UDS regardless of what type of cooker the thread is about. I think its a board requirement. lol

Congrats! Sounds like a great smoker!

Thanks guys

I do have a few questions for those who have cabinet cookers. What fuel do you use. I used kingford blue but think lump would better. Next I am a long time stick burner and like SMOKE and bark. Any suggestion on getting more smoke. Next .. Wide open the pit belched white smoke for a hour before she caught on and settled down any ways to shorten the wait?

I have the IQ120 controller and a maverick 732 monitor and enjoyed the freedom of a good nap while cooking.

Sounds like a fantastic cooker, but why wouldn't it completely smother the fire once closed-down? I don't know much about the assassins, but it seems like it should be pretty close to air-tight when the vents/vales all shutdown?

Maybe it is just insulated so well the heat kept the charcoal ready to light once you added air back to it?

On the Superior, there's a grease drain on the bottom that's open to the air, but I've never had the coals stay lit overnight. With everything else dampered down, it'll eventually burn out.

I do have a few questions for those who have cabinet cookers. What fuel do you use. I used kingford blue but think lump would better. Next I am a long time stick burner and like SMOKE and bark. Any suggestion on getting more smoke. Next .. Wide open the pit belched white smoke for a hour before she caught on and settled down any ways to shorten the wait?

I have the IQ120 controller and a maverick 732 monitor and enjoyed the freedom of a good nap while cooking.

We started out using royal oak briquettes and got very good burn times, but ran into problems with the binder clumping up in the chute, so we switched to lump. Never really had an issue with smoke flavor with either type. Just put a few chunks of wood in the ash pan very couple of hours and let it go. I haven't done a side by side comparison vs the Lang, but everything seemed smoky enough.

cpw I use kingsford as I thought lump might bridge off. Kingsford did bridge of dur to so much ash. I just hammered on the chute grate to knock it loose. Going to try RO lump or Stubbs next

Back