MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #691
HarleyDiva
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Couldn't help but think of your situation when I read this.
"Alligator can greet Michigan restaurant patrons "
PORT HURON, Mich. (AP) -- A 4-foot long alligator named Wally will be allowed to greet patrons of a Michigan restaurant.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...12-17-14-39-49
We have a restaurant/outdoor store here (Lunkers) that used to have a live alligator. Now, there is just a stuffed one....but the live one was much smaller, so it's not him. No idea what happened to him.
HarleyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #692
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juslearning View Post
Even if the original mechanical contractor said he didn't need a permit, why would he not pull the permit after he was told that he had to have one? Was he licensed?
There never was an original mechanical contractor. My general contractor said one wasn't required since we were not installing any new hoods or ventilation and that was what the health department initially told me as well since we were basically just replacing an oven with the smoker, using the existing gas hookup, there was already a hood above the smoker, etc.

But apparently the HD changed their mind a few weeks ago when we were finally ready to open and he said he wants a mechanical inspection just to be safe. Which led to the epic problems of needing a permit before anything can be inspected, and then impossible to get anyone to pull a permit since the work was already done, etc.

So just a lot of poor communication between all parties. Had this issue even been brought up a month ago we would have at least had some time to get it resolved before the newspaper ran a big story and basically told everyone we were opening last Friday.

Either way, fingers crossed that I get calls from both inspectors first thing in the morning and they can find a time to come out and do their thing. Staff is coming in to start prep at 9 with the assumption we can open for dinner, or for lunch on Friday worst case.

But I'm not holding my breath. With everything that's gone on so far I'm preparing for another setback, but being ready just in case we do get good news.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #693
Dave M
On the road to being a farker

Fingers crossed for you over here.
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #694
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Fingers crossed for you over here.
Thanks. Another sleepless night in store I'm afraid. Still at the restaurant working. Cooking some butts for a friend who wanted to take them to work tomorrow. I can't wait for this to be wrapped up and have an actual day off where I can just sleep for 18 hours straight.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #695
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

Just read the whole post (all 47 pages), wishing you all the best with your new resturant, and hope you open soon. Looks like you have the support of the whole community.
JamieK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #696
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Another day of crossed fingers here. Sounds like you are getting some practice in anyways.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #697
Paulthenurse
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Not a bad way to pass the time in the middle of a 12 hour night shift, reading up on your struggles. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. I have a friend who opened up a nano brewery here in Massachusetts. If you think it was difficult getting an occupancy permit sao that you can serve food, multiply that by a factor a gazzillion for the permits to alcohol. In the end, however, all things worked out and they are coming up on their first anniversary in a couple weeks. I'm sure you'll doi just as well and will look back on these struggles and laugh. Best of luck.

PTN
Paulthenurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #698
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hoping all goes your way today Brother

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #699
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Good luck today! Local governments can be a real pain in the arse! Hope you are up and running tomorrow! (or today)

Old 12-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #700
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Thanks. Another sleepless night in store I'm afraid. Still at the restaurant working. Cooking some butts for a friend who wanted to take them to work tomorrow. I can't wait for this to be wrapped up and have an actual day off where I can just sleep for 18 hours straight.
LMAO....your not even open yet and thinking about sleep???

You have MONTHS before you'll get any sleep brother. This is the easy part.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #701
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
LMAO....your not even open yet and thinking about sleep???

You have MONTHS before you'll get any sleep brother. This is the easy part.
Hah. Well, I don't mind not sleeping because I'm working. It's the staying up all night worrying because of all these delays and running out of money. When I'm finally slinging pork and hearing the cash register ringing I'll stay up for a week straight if I have to.

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #702
cb25
Full Fledged Farker

Good luck today marubozo. Been really interesting to read through the thread and see the process as it happens - really appreciate you sharing this with us.
cb25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #703
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Pretty cool... I saw you already have a couple of Yelp reviews.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #704
scayne62
Full Fledged Farker

Hope all turns out well today! All the struggles will be just a mere story over some beers in the future, you are definitely on my list of destinations on the Harley this summer. Should be a good days ride there and back.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #705
ak56
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
... you'll be waiting on the health department, mechanical inspectors, permits, and so on before you get the clearance to open your doors...
Just found this prophetic quote from your very first post in this thread.

Best of luck!